Help Needed in Albany, NY

triceratops

Hi Gang,

Here's a long shot, but thought I'd give it a try. An audio hobbyist in Albany, NY has just parted out his single Electrovoice Georgian speaker. Astute Klipsch fans will note that this speaker cabinet was a Klipsch-licensed Klipschorn replica. The Georgian had roughly the same dimensions (and I'm assuming the same bass bin folding) as the Klipschorn but with 4-way speaker set up and all Electro-Voice drivers.

I couldn't afford to buy any of the guts for the cabinet (the T-350 tweeter alone brought over 3 bills!) but the owner has offered to give me the cabinet so he won't have to throw it away when all the drivers find new homes.

The bad news is I'm a couple thousand miles away from this cabinet, but the good news is I'm traveling out to the East Coast within the next few months to help clean up my Mom's old house. Is there anybody on the Forum who lives near Albany and has a strong back and a pick-up truck (or van) and a hand truck who would be willing to pick up and store this cabinet for a few months? I know it is a lot to ask, but maybe there is someone out there who would be up for it.

Of course, if someone is really into the cabinet, maybe they would want to keep it themselves. I'm not totally opposed to that either, I just think it is a cool piece of Klipsch history and should be preserved and (hopefully) listened to.

Best in horns,

triceratops

Eugene, Oregon

I am about 3 hours or around 160 miles from Albany, NY. I think forum member DON is in the actual Albany,NY area.

It would be just about an all day deal on a weekend for me to be able to get it. I am sure it would fit in my minivan though.

Hi Frzninvt,

I think it would be too much driving for a gutted cabinet. Sure, if it was a pair of nice vintage Cornwalls (e.g. Colterphoto's Florida sojurn), but not for this marginal piece! That is unless you are personally interested in doing something with the cabinet, in which case I would certainly step aside.

Thanks for your good will and suggestions--I'll send Don a PM...

Best in horns,

triceratops

It figures, I should have known. That photos looks like the same one used for a recent EV 15WK that I was bidding on. Let me get the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5768792548&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDW%3AIT&rd=1

Looks like it was D0N selling it, wonder if the winning bidder backed out? HMmmmmmm.

The finest of character's he isn't but I knew he was in the Albany area. He is an audio scalper as well, buy low, sell high you know the bit. Gotta make a living somehow I suppose.

Perhaps John's cabinet is from someone else?

Hi Ben and Frzninvt,

Thanks for your posts. You are correct, the cabinet owner is D0N. I didn't know that until I contacted D0N through the Forum (as per Frzninvt's suggestion) to see if he could store the cabinet for me. Needless to say, since he already has the cabinet and is trying to get rid of it, that doesn't work.

I don't know D0N or anything about the history of the ill-will referred to above. I should probably pay closer attention to my Forum readings. In any case, he offered me the cabinet for free if I would haul it away, which I thought was pretty cool.

I'm about ready to give up though, I can't seem to find anyone on the Forum who wants the cabinet. I don't know if people would feel differently if it was manufactured by Klipsch instead of a Klipsch-licensed Electro-Voice. Hope someone will step up--I think the trashman is coming soon.

Best in horns,

triceratops

Eugene, Oregon

Well, he's not that bad a guy, really, just not as cool about a lot of things as you'd generally find here. Believe me, if there was anything in it for him, he wouldn't have offered the cabinet for free. Parting out a Georgian in the first place gives some indication of what we're dealing with.

I've got an old University horn in my garage that I'm just sitting on because I can't bear to part it out. My "accounts receivable" friends may not enjoy it as much as I, but they probably understand my sickness...

If I were closer, I'd be happy to help, as I'd hate to think of the Georgian getting trashed (as it probably will), but it's just too far. Besides, I'd have to conceal my identity!