RC-7 and RF-35's...

bytor33

Hi, I recently bought an RF-35 system and was really unhappy with the RC-35 so I returned it and got my money back. It really does sound out of place with the RF-35's and has the muffled, boxy sound that many others have described. I know the RC-3II would probably be a better match for the RF-35's but I'm strongly considering just getting an RC-7 as I've heard nothing but good things about it. Would the RC-7 match poorly with the RF-35's? I'm real happy with the RF-35's and don't feel the need to upgrade them so please no tempting me with suggestions about getting the RF-5's or RF-7's to go with an RC-7 1.gif

The RC-7 will be fine with the RF-35s. However, the problem with it is that it is highly likely to infect you with a severe case of upgradeitis due to better sound quality. You may suffer from an unconrollable urge to upgrade to RF-7s for your mains. The rationalization of such sufferers is that the RF-35s will make excellent surrounds.

Bill

lol, thanks for the reply. I've actually had a crazy case of upgradeitis lately but this new RC-7 will stretch my budget to the limits for now. I originally started out with an RB-25 system with an SVS PB10 sub and now it's an RF-35 system with an SVS 20-39 PC+ tube. You're right the RF-35's would make good surround speakers if I ever decide to get the RF-7's but then I would need more amplification and a lot more money so that's a ways down the road at least. As long as the RC-7 blends better with my Rf-35's than that muffled piece of junk RC-35 I'll be happy.

I wanted to like it and tried blocking the ports and other various things but had no success. My HK AVR 430 doesn't have a seperate EQ for the center channel so nothing I can do on that end either. Ahh well, at least I got my money back for it. I actually searched and found another user with RF-35's and an RC-7 that liked them together so I guess I should just bite the bullet and get it. I'll post my impressions when I receive it later next week for other people who are maybe in the same position as me. Thanks again!

I have two RC-7s, one I use with RF-7s, and one I use with

RF-35s. I used an RC-3 with the RF-35s for about a month and wasn't too impressed. I tried my RC-7 that I had with them and it sounded great, so I bought another one for the bedroom setup.

Calibrate it right and it will blend perfect with the RF-35s.

I remember reading posts a while back about some RC-35's having a factory defect that made them sound muffled. You may have gotten one of those speakers. You may want to look into trying another RC-35 before you spend the extra cash on the RC-7. Although, I'm sure that that RC-7 will be much better in the long run. I have the RC-35 and have not noticed any muffling effects.

You could be right as the RC-35 I bought was a display model at ultimate electronics and probably has been there since they came out. Unfortunately that's all they have and they're closing their doors soon. I tried to trade it in for a display model RC-7 which was all they had and they wanted $675 for it lol. They wouldn't negotiate prices at all since the liquidators had supposedly taken over. Talk about a joke, you'd think a store going out of business would be more inclined to actually sell stuff.

Well I received my RC-7 yesterday and I must say it's sounds much, much better than the RC-35. No more boxy sound and Prologic II mode is actually useable now. It also pairs just fine with the RF-35's and while the RC-7 sounds a little better in the high end than the 35's the difference isn't as great as it was between the RC-35 and RF-35's which sounded just plain wrong together. One question though, I bought this center from acoustic sound design on ebay and on the sticker on the back it says max input power 125 watts. Shouldn't this say 200? Just want to make sure I didn't get screwed with a b stock speaker or something like that but it definitely looks genuine.

Congrats, the RC-7 is a real nice speaker.

You are right the sticker should say 200 watts max.

Someone probably just put on the wrong sticker. If it was purchased from an authorized dealer Klipsch would probably send you the right one if you asked.

Weird, the sticker does say RC-7 on it also so I don't think it's a sticker for a different speaker and it's silver instead of the gold stickers that are on my RF-35's. I don't believe they're an authorized seller but ahh well I guess, it still sounds fine.

----------------

On 4/29/2005 1:48:21 PM RickB wrote:

Congrats, the RC-7 is a real nice speaker.

You are right the sticker should say 200 watts max.

Someone probably just put on the wrong sticker. If it was purchased from an authorized dealer Klipsch would probably send you the right one if you asked.

----------------

Umm... If you purchased it on E-Bay you are correct on questioning the authenticity of your source being an authorized dealer. It should say "{edit125 watts max}."

----------------

On 4/29/2005 5:01:50 PM RickB wrote:

I just looked on the back of both of my RC-7s and the sticker says, max input pwr: 200 watts. They're brown and gold colored.

One black RC-7, the other one is cherry.

----------------

That is interesting mine say "125 watt max" I purchased mine from Ultimate Electronics, an authorized dealer. Both of mine are cherry. I wonder if a Klipsch rep could step in and explain the discrepancy6.gif

I know what the spec sheet says.

I seem to remember a thread on here a year or so ago where some RF-7 owners had stickers with the wrong max. watt number on them.

I think they found out that someone at the factory just printed them up wrong.

It doesn't change anything about the speaker, but it would probably bug me anyway knowing they were wrong.

I did some reading into past threads and it looks like these unauthorized dealers get their products from authorized dealers that have too much stock or work a deal with them so they can buy a lot more product at a discount as a "joint" effort with the unauthorized dealer. The authorized dealers get rid of the serial numbers to prevent klipsch from ever tracking the unauthorized sale back to them. It all seems rather ridiculous to me. Klipsch's reasons against unauthorized dealers selling on the internet seem kind of stupid so in the end it must just come down to less money for klipsch with the unauthorized dealers selling cheap or there would be no reason they wouldn't allow it and support it. I bought my center from www.acousticsounddesign.com through ebay and they seem to be one of the most reputable unauthorized sellers.