RF-5 bass response

Heideana

I just purchased a pair of RF-5's and was a bit surprised that the bass response isn't as loud and house shaking as my old KG 3's which are less efficient and have less of a bass response spec. wise. Tech support told me that I needed to use more then the 90-watts I'm currently using with the RF 5's to get that kind of bass response, but couldn't give me a very good reason why I get better (house-shaking bass) with the KG 3's only using 50 watts. The RF-5's seem plenty loud with 90-watts and I'm wondering if the Reference series just differs from the KG series in bass response in general...perhaps the Reference series was designed always have subwoofer support?

Much appreciation to anyone who can comment...Hopkins Stanley

Tell us a little more about your setup and equipment. Did the Rf5's directly replace the KG3's in the same room? Try moving the speakers near the corners, if possible, if not already.

Lastly, are you 100% sure that they are hooked up in phase? If you have the speaker wires backwards on one speaker compared to the other, you will have little bass.

My KG 3's are powered by an old Carver 50-watt amp and I recently put them on pedestles to elevate them 22 inches off the floor. I recently moved the KG's upstairs to a bedroom and purchased the RF-5's to replace them in the living room. I'm also using a Rogue T-II amp to power the RF's. I checked my wiring and everything is in phase...also, I've got the Rf's bi-wired. Hands down the KG's shake the house at half-volume compared to the RF's at 3/4 volume...

Thanks for the questions and response...Hopkins

More power with the Rogue on RF-5's. The Rogue has no tone controls and the Carver is set for tone/loudness bypass for cleaner signal. I'm really beginning to think the KG series were designed for more robust bass while the RF series is cleaner and tighter. I'm also wondering if the RF's need to be broken in a bit...I've been using the KG's since 1992.

----------------

I'm also wondering if the RF's need to be broken in a bit...

----------------

I was wondering if they had some break-in time. I've read that a minimum of 40-50 hours is needed. Please let us know if that makes a difference.

Larry

The Reference series have a different impedance curve than your KG series. Also a change in amplifiers is involved. Amplifiers are not rated the same between different brands.

The Reference series are capable of copious bass. If possible try better amps. Also, 12 awg zip cord may help. The suggestion to use corners is a very good one.

Bill

I would try straight up swapping the KGs in for your RF-5's and do a comparison. It's possible that the RF-5 has a more forward mid-range which would correspondingly make the bass seem weaker. A side by side comparison should make it more clear as to what is happening.

Are we talking a huge difference here or a minor one btw?

Best and thanks to all who responded. It appears that I've got a bit of work to sort out the bass difference. I'm beginning to think its' a question of source material. White Stripes "elephant" album from an atrac source sounds really clear with house shaking bass with the Rogue T-II in triode mode, while a lot of other material doesn't have as much of a "shaking" to it with it in 90-watt mode. I've put them on 1 foot risers and moved them out into the room so that their 2 feet from the wall which seems to help. I'm also thinking the KG's have a bit of a more pronounced response in the upper bass range while the RF-s is a lot tighter and clearer.

For the record, I'm using some LyricSG cable from Evidence Audio. The owner made some special bi-wire cables with spade connections for me as a favor. I think I'm also going to have to use the cable for awhile, as I'd forgot that the cable sounds better over time when I use it for guitars.

Again thanks to all for all the suggestions...

----------------

On 4/25/2005 4:26:08 PM Heideana wrote:

My KG 3's are powered by an old Carver 50-watt amp and I recently put them on pedestles to elevate them 22 inches off the floor. I recently moved the KG's upstairs to a bedroom and purchased the RF-5's to replace them in the living room. I'm also using a Rogue T-II amp to power the RF's. I checked my wiring and everything is in phase...also, I've got the Rf's bi-wired. Hands down the KG's shake the house at half-volume compared to the RF's at 3/4 volume...

Thanks for the questions and response...Hopkins

----------------

You need to power the new speakers with the Carver to do a direct comparison. Anything else is a waste of time. You must have them set up EXACTLY the same to compare them. Bringing your Carver down and hooking it up is minimal work, I would duplicate you old set up (EXACTLY!)and the new speakers will most likely have plenty of bass. The tech line really dropped the ball on this one, it is audio 101........ Good Luck!

What's your experiencing maybe. Is that the kg's if they have a bigger woofer in them is a much fuller sound. The bigger woofer will effortlessly produce musical bass much better. They will flood a room quick with bass compared to smaller woofers that play deeper. This holds true in my living room when comparing different speakers I have owned over the years.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm swapping out for RF-7's to get the 10-inch woofer, even though the RF-5's are waking up. I couldn't get the carver down for comparison, secondary to some recent back surgery, but I changed the Rogue's impedence to 4-ohms after chasing a few other questions on the forum and it's like the RF-5's woke up and found religion. Deep solid bass and enough volume to drive me out of the room in the Rogue's triode mode which I think is about 6wpc.

Best and thanks again for the advice...Hopkins