Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW

mtber101

The display has been getting great reviews and I'm loving the price. But it doesn't have hdcp. But what does this really mean.

If I use a HD cable box or directv box would HD channels display? If not I don't really understand the point of hdcp. It's not like my monitor can record anything. Thanks ahead of time.

It doesn't matter. There are almost no unencrypted HDTV programs being broadcast anyway. If you get cable/satellite HDTV, you need to wire component out of the box anyway (they all have their DVI disabled), so it's the component connectors (which it has) that matter, not the lack of the HD decoder.

Supposed to be an awesome monitor. A few of my friends have the FPW2005, which is the 20" widescreen version, and they are amazing. I am waiting for the price to drop on the 24" before I ****** it up.

---------------

Thanks guys.

I really like the Apple but would have a hard time paying the premium just for the looks. And if Dell drops the price I'm all over it.

Any idea when channels are going to start being encrypted?

----------------

FYI

Apple just lowered its LCD prices with the introduction of its new models - if that helps...

Yea I saw that the day they did it but the 23" is still 1500. The dell is just over 1000. Plus the 23" has been having some color problems from what I hear.

Say abc has a HD program on channel 2. Do I have to get it over the air or is it on a different channel? If it's on a different channel do I need a cable box? I have adeplhia right now without a box. Thanks

----------------

On 4/30/2005 2:13:57 AM meuge wrote:

If you get cable/satellite HDTV, you need to wire component out of the box anyway (they all have their DVI disabled), so it's the component connectors (which it has) that matter, not the lack of the HD decoder.

----------------

Where did you get this little tidbit? Maybe some Cable boxes have DVI disabled, but DVI works on all the DirecTv HD boxes I've tried.

----------------

On 4/30/2005 1:00:19 PM meuge wrote:

Aside from over-the-air HDTV, and maybe the networks (ABC, NBC, FOX) on some cable systems, all HDTV is encrypted already

----------------

Encrypted in what way? What exactly are you talking about?

Well now you have opened the Pandora's Box. "Usually" over the air has it's own tuner for HD, cable their own and satellite their own. You have to play the game to get what you want. You can get all three versions at Best Buy if you want to cover all the bases. If you have a computer you can get the MY-HD 130 HDTV computer card which is top quality. Then output the card to your Dell. Good luck.

JJK

Thanks for the input.

I have a Powerbook so pci card isn't going to work. But Elgato makes an hd tuner that connects using firewire. I know is does over the air HD but what I'd really to know is if I can get abc or any of the basic cable channels that have HD shows over my normal cable using the eyetv 500 from Elgato.