Another RF-5 vs RF-35 thread..

bytor33

I'm really wondering if I should upgrade my RF-35's to RF-5's before my 30 day return period is up at ultimate electronics. I could get the RF-5's on ebay for about $200 more. I'm wondering how much brighter the RF-5's will be with the HK AVR 430 receiver I'm using. I really don't want to get seperates so RF-7's are kind of out of the question but if RF-5's really do require seperates too to open them up then would I be better off sticking with the RF-35's? The only thing that worries me is I won't be able to hear the RF-5's before I get them and I do like the 35's but have a bad case of the upgrade bug. I suppose I could always get the RF-5's and move the RF-35's to the surround position down the road. I've read all of the past threads and while most prefer the RF-5's some people said the RF-35's sounded slightly better so who knows. Thanks for any suggestions!

bytor,

I believe that you won't gain that much moving to the RF 5's.........Keep the 35's and save up to get the RF 7's later on. BTW Ultimate electronics filed for Chapter 11 last week...................(maybe they will have a good sale on the 5's)...........But for now stick with what works.

In addition, you now have a good 5 year warranty.........whereas if you bought on Ebay - No Warranty!

Another vote for saving up for the RF-7s. The 5s are a step up, but it is a small step. The 7s are a much bigger step up.

A receiver should run the RF35s just fine. Another fellow has found that the RF-5s run better on the 4 ohm taps on his tube amp. This means that the RF-5s are a difficult load. The RF-35s should be a bit easier to drive.

Bill

Well -- you get a bigger horn, so higher sensitivity, and lower distortion at any given volume level. You get a bigger box, and the lower LF response that comes with it. You also get real wood veneer -- on both sides of the MDF, which is very nice.

Thanks guys, I guess I should have clarified that the real wood finish and lower frequency response doesn't concern me too much. I would have the RF-5's crossed over at 60 hz probably, the same as my RF-35's. I was basically just wondering about the midrange and high end differences. I have a feeling the RF-7's would be pretty bright without a seperate amp no matter which receiver you get and was wondering if the RF-5's would have that same effect and require seperates to tone down their harshness.

The RF-35's really aren't too bright at all and could be even a little brighter for greater clarity and if the RF-5's would give me just that little bit of upper edge over the 35's it might be worth it for me. But if I couldn't achieve that without seperates for the RF-5's then indeed I would much rather just wait and get RF-7's and seperates later on when I'm older and have more money :) As for Ultimate Electronics, unfortunately they don't have the RF-5's or I'd probably already have them in my house right now trying them out. I love that 30 day return policy and it's sad to see them go as they're the only klipsch dealer in my area (Sioux Falls).

It's funny you say 30 day exchange policy. I am tinkering with the thought of exchanging my 25's for 35's. I most definitely will do it. Just keep your boxes. Here's the kicker: I got the system back around Thanksgiving. My salesman has been quite flexible. It's why I keep going back to UE.

----------------

On 5/7/2005 4:00:27 PM adamlee2001GXE wrote:

It's funny you say 30 day exchange policy. I am tinkering with the thought of exchanging my 25's for 35's. I most definitely will do it. Just keep your boxes. Here's the kicker: I got the system back around Thanksgiving. My salesman has been quite flexible. It's why I keep going back to UE.

----------------

I don't know where you live, but in Texas they are closing out remaining merchandise--I drove by 2 stores today and they have people on the street with their "Final Liquidation sale" placards. I went into the stores last week and they had no upper end Klipsch left. I don't think that they are getting any new merchandise in the remaining stores until they settle their bankruptcy claims. Good Luck.

bytor33, we have a GREAT Klipsch dealer here in Waterloo, IA. About four hours or a tad more from you. I have been to Sioux Falls quite a few times on work-related trips to Spader for seminars, and it is not a bad drive. If you need info on them feel free to contact me...they are a two-minute drive from our house and are superb to work with!

Thanks for the reply mtnbikr, 4 hours isn't too bad of drive if you know what you're going to buy. Do they happen to have any RF-5's left and if so what are their prices like? I also so those people in the street last weekend tdk and my UE still does have most of the upper end Klipsch left as they're asking like 10% less than retail which really isn't a deal at all considering they're closing for good. I would definitely get the 35's over the 25's adamlee, I've owned both and like a lot of people have said on these forums the 25's do have an upper mid bass spike. The 35's just sound fuller and flatter to me.

Thank you, I appreciate the offer but I'm just going to keep the RF-35's as I'm quite happy with them and have resisted the urge to upgrade them (we'll see how long that lasts) as I really think I'd need a seperate amp to get full enjoyment out of the RF-5's or 7's. I might instead upgrade my SVS 20-39 PC+ to a PC-Ultra 1.gif