NEW CAR- first song

Sputnick---That shows why Hondas ain't cool. Nobody ever wrote a R&R song about a Honda car. Lincolns, Caddys, Chevys, V-8 Fords, Dodges. Hell even a Jaguar in Dead Man's Curve. But a Honda?

Can you picture Elvis in a Honda? Jerry Lee Lewis?2.gif

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

TB, not trying to be cool, or rather, it doesn't take a car to be cool when you're me!

I'm looking for good solid transportation at a reasonable cost with GREAT MILEAGE, reliability, and all the creature comforts right where they should be. A Honda Accord fits the bill nicely, thankyouverymuch.

M

"Cool" comes about in the mods. I love what the kiddies are doing with their Hondas. Could these be a modern expression of the classic fifties hot rods or sixties muscle cars?

whohotsause.jpg

I'm sure songs will written about these, but they'll probably be rap.

I can see "young" Elvis driving a Honda (nee Acura) NSX.

Similarly, I can see him in an S2000, or even S800.

But Elvis is more of a Toyota Crown type of guy, big, cushy, softly-sprung car. Y'know. The Japanese copy of the traditional, badly-sprung, ill-handling American land yacht. 2.gif

There's no Honda songs because by the time Honda and the rest were really selling well here, rock and roll had died, and had been (temporarily) replaced by Disco, which had other priorities, other things to worship, other than cars.

The cool part comes in when one leaves your Z06 Corvette and you at the stoplight wondering what the hell happened!

With a few performance mods, and since they are small and nimble it is easy for one to leave a big V8 in the dust. Especially if there are any turns in the road!

"With a few performance mods, and since they are small and nimble it is easy for one to leave a big V8 in the dust."

Easy? It takes more than a "few" mods to make a Honda fast. And those V-8s can be modded too.

Note too that Detroit now has some V-8 cars that have stock horsepower like 1960s muscle-cars. There's a 400hp Caddy CTS, a 445 hp Chrysler 300 and the new SVT Mustang will be 450hp. It's gonna take more than a "few" mods for a Honda to stay in sight.

"Especially if there are any turns in the road!"

A rear-wheel drive car handles better. FWD Japanese cars can handle good but good RWD American and German cars outhandle them. The only RWD Honda I know of is the S-2000, a very nice car. Good handling and fast but not that fast.

Not that it matters in Illinois anyway.

----------------

On 5/7/2005 12:38:41 AM TBrennan wrote:

Sputnick---That shows why Hondas ain't cool. Nobody ever wrote a R&R song about a Honda car. Lincolns, Caddys, Chevys, V-8 Fords, Dodges. Hell even a Jaguar in Dead Man's Curve. But a Honda?

Can you picture Elvis in a Honda? Jerry Lee Lewis?
2.gif
----------------

Didn't the Beach Boys write one about a little motorbike? Honda, Honda,....

Maybe "The Little Red Car Goes Beep Beep" was about a Honda!

Not exactly Rock and Roll, though...

----------------

On 5/9/2005 12:21:36 PM ben. wrote:

Didn't the Beach Boys write one about a little motorbike? Honda, Honda,....

----------------

Yesssssssss! That's the song I was trying to remember. I just restored a '72 Honda cb350 and knew there was a related song but completely spaced out the Beach Boys - it's too obvious now. Ben, thanks a bunch!

1.gif

----------------

On 5/9/2005 12:56:58 PM TBrennan wrote:

The song about Honda motorbikes wasn't by the Beach Boys. The Hondelles or something as I recall. Foggy though.

Hmmm, did a Google. "Go little Honda" by the Hondells. Written by Brian Wilson.

----------------

The Hondells' Greatest Hits cd is on it's way from Amazon. It also includes "You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda." Looks like the Beach Boys did a version of Little Honda too. Thanks Tom and Ben. I'm happy.