V-Caps

Cool, a cap thread.

For networks, teflon is out. The bigger values cost as much as I sell my networks for!

Mundorf MCap Supreme silver/oil caps: "Special induction-free winding technology: Two capacitor windings are interleaved so that their inductances effectively cancel each other out. These two windings are connected in series. This means that it takes two 2µF windings to make a single 1µF MCap-Supreme capacitor - the same amount that it would take to produce a full 4µF of capacity using conventional technology!"

So, anyone want to take a guess at what the ESR probably looks like on these things?

I think I've pretty well settled in with the idea that any type of metallized polypropylene is sufficient for the midrange, and film and tin foil for the tweeter. A slight, and I mean slight benefit can be heard by sliding Auricaps or Kimbers into the squawker circuit (as opposed to Daytons or Solens), and I don't think I hear any difference at all between the various film and foils in the tweeter circuit.

Hey Dean. When I asked about the Mundorfs over a month ago, you said why not give them a try them and pass along the results, and so I did.

You know, they can be made from crapola for all I care. All I know is (IMHO, YMMV), the Mundorf made a bigger difference (improvement) in the midrange than replacing with an Auricap. A smoother, more clear and bigger sound. Is it worth it? Is their marketing mumbo-jumbo going on that that's turning off people? I'm not going to go there.

People pay more for Jensen PIOs and rave about those. But give the Mundorfs a try and see what you think before passing judgement. Obviously they can't be placed everywhere unless you are King Solomon, but in some strategic spots, it may be worth using a premium cap (as in the midrange).

P.S. I don't own any shares or stock of Mundorf Corp.

You're right. You caught me closing my mind off, and I need to watch that. I'll order a handful and give them a try.

On how they're built: they are basically two caps in series to shunt inductance, but when you wire caps in series it doubles their resistance, which is usually something to be avoided. OTOH, we are typically dealing with mOhms here, and it may not be as big as a deal as some of us think. The dielectric itself is similiar to the Russian caps Craig likes to use in some of his build/rebuilds, and he likes those quite a bit.