stains on cornwalls.... I do NOT want to reveneer if possible.

so i picked up a pair of cornwall 2s a few months back, and i am loving them to death.. BUT, they have big stains on the top of both of them. they were originally birch raw, but they have been finished.

overall the veneer is in good shape, and i have no desire or patience to reveer/refinish them... i just want to get rid of those stains, and make them nice again.. what exactly are my options?? they dont have to be perfect, but the stains are a big gross and i want them gone.

heres a pic:

IMG_0516.jpg

they actually look a bit worse than that up close, but as you can see overall its not too bad.

Not bad is an understatement. Looks like a pretty nice stain and poly job there. You'd have to sand through all that to get to the wood and it looks like possibly the stain got into the veneer before the stain/poly job. So there's more sanding possibly bleaching to get it out. It could be through the veneer.

I'd leave it alone. You could really botch em up trying to get that out. How bout a nice set of tempered glass tops, you could even do smoked glass to cover up the stains?

Michael

it seems a bit rough to the touch where the stain is, almost like the finish has come off in those places... if i look closely, there is a dark substance in the grain of the veneer.. pretty sure this dammage was done after the finishing job.

i talked to the original owner today, he said that there is no stain, just oil-based polyurethane. and the stains came years after he finished the cabinets.. what do you guys think, if i try and sand that stuff out, am i going to ruin the veneer?

OMG and I thought I was anal about my speakers, that is hardly noticeable even with a camera. It does look like a bit of a water stain on the far left edge where it is kind of gray. It will most likely sand out, just use around 200-400 grit and a palm sander and keep it steadliy moving to sand evenly. However, if you do the top the sides will most likely no longer match and you will end up having to sand both completely and restain. Good amount of work if that is what you choose to do.