Last night's listening was the best to date!

Since I got my Khorns last Thursday Ive had some music going through them constantly since they have been stored away for the last 2 years. Last night was my first time to sit down as long as I wanted without any bothers.I was Going back and listening to things I have not heard in a while. The Klipschorns with the tubes seem to be nothing short of pure magic in my room! I do not think I've heard so many layers to Beck's "Odelay" album ever! Between Beck and Bob Marley's album "Legend" I was in pure heaven last night!12.gif

Hey charlieboy,

You posted before about when your speakers seem to disappear, at least I thought it was your post, but no matter. I am sitting here sort of auditioning my Cornwalls and Klipshorns, unfortunately with my sandby SS amp, listening to the Allison Brown Quartet CD 'Replay.' With the Cornwalls, it weems as thought the speakers have vanished, but when I switch to the horns, I definitely hear the music as a coming from the left and right channels. I am back against the wall of a 24 x 13 room, and the speakers are on the long wall. The horns in the corners and the cornwalls just inside them, slightly toed in. I am thinking that the dimensions of the room just aren't very good for the horns. any opinions?

----------------

On 5/10/2005 9:37:44 AM fini wrote:

Cool! Is your wife digging the setup, too?

Have you heard Beck's new album? It's the only one I own, but folks have compared it to
Odelay.

----------------

fini

Unfourtanatly my wife does not really care to much about my audio passion. I've tried and she'll say yeah it sounds good and then walks away.14.gif Oh well at least she does'nt try to stop me from doing my thing. I thank her for that. 16.gif

----------------

On 5/10/2005 10:11:56 AM smuttynose wrote:

Hey charlieboy,

You posted before about when your speakers seem to disappear, at least I thought it was your post, but no matter. I am sitting here sort of auditioning my Cornwalls and Klipshorns, unfortunately with my sandby SS amp, listening to the Allison Brown Quartet CD 'Replay.' With the Cornwalls, it weems as thought the speakers have vanished, but when I switch to the horns, I definitely hear the music as a coming from the left and right channels. I am back against the wall of a 24 x 13 room, and the speakers are on the long wall. The horns in the corners and the cornwalls just inside them, slightly toed in. I am thinking that the dimensions of the room just aren't very good for the horns. any opinions?

----------------

Hey smuttynose,

Well my room is 22x20 and I'm sitting around 4 feet from the rear wall, and the horns are on the 22ft wall. They are perfect corners. I defintly get left and right but I can definatly get great imaging at center and have great depth also. I can almost hear at times for instance the singer and bassist in the center but the singer in front of the bassist. I may be weird but that's what I hear. Last night with Bon Marley there was a guy hitting a wood block on the left side between far left and center.The guitarist was playing in the excact same spot but seemed to be a few feet in front of the person hitting the wooden block. Call me crazy! LOL!3.gif

Smutty,

Sounds like your room is not ideal for long wall placement. 2 obvious things to try are, in order of cost - lowest first:

1. Move to one of the short walls and sit somewhere towards the middle of the room - that will give you the disappearing speakers effect but might lead to a rather muddled centre image.

2. Create a centre channel using ideally a Belle or a LaScala and the 3 channel box or equivalent that was floating about the forum a couple of weeks back.

Long wall placement is supposed to be ideal - but it isnt always the case. My guess is that if your room were about 5 foot wider you would get away with it - but it is just a guess.

I agree with Max. The separation is too wide compared to how far away the listening position is. In a perfect world, you need to be at the point of a equilateral triangle (more or less). Right now it seems that you can't back up enough, and even if you did, the back wall would be right behind your head which is not good reflection-wise.

Try turning the top cabinets slightly inward towards the listening position; this will tighten up the soundstage for you. That's about all that you can do without resorting to a center-channel.

DM

----------------

On 5/10/2005 10:30:34 AM charlieboy wrote:

Unfourtanatly my wife does not really care to much about my audio passion. I've tried and she'll say yeah it sounds good and then walks away.
14.gif
Oh well at least she does'nt try to stop me from doing my thing. I thank her for that.
16.gif

----------------

I know what you mean. My wife would just as soon have "invisible" Bose cubes, or in-walls, than the mighty Klipschorns. She is tolerant of me though, which says a lot...1.gif

----------------

On 5/10/2005 3:47:43 PM fini wrote:

----------------

On 5/10/2005 10:30:34 AM charlieboy wrote:

Unfourtanatly my wife does not really care to much about my audio passion. I've tried and she'll say yeah it sounds good and then walks away.
14.gif
Oh well at least she does'nt try to stop me from doing my thing. I thank her for that.
16.gif

----------------

I know what you mean. My wife would just as soon have "invisible" Bose cubes, or in-walls, than the mighty Klipschorns. She is tolerant of me though, which says a lot...
1.gif

----------------

My current GF loves to listen to my Belles should could drink dance and listen all night. I changed some 6SL7 tubes a while back and she asked what I did to make it sound better. There are also moments when musical taste clash lol for instance I wanted to listen to the clash and she wanted to listen to Duran Dura14.gif

seti,

That's pretty cool how your GF's ears knew enough to notice the tube change. Right on!2.gif

fini

BTW I have not heard becks new album. I'll have to check it out. I honestly was never a huge fan but theres a lot of production in that album.I just noticed you asked me that way back at the begining of the thread.15.gif