what's better, bookshelf or floorstanding?

malechi

I went with bookshilves in my 35 system. And I love them. To ask which is better I think is not a question you can answer with a simple yes or no.

If you have a 2 channel only system sure floorstanding would be better. But with my RW-12 sub I get all the bass I would ever want, so why would I need floorstanding for more bass?

Heck, the RB-35 go down to 45 Hz (-3 dB). That's lower than my (non-bookshelf) La Scala's!

Switch to RF-35 buys you down to 37 Hz, so... if you'll going to use a good sub anyway, why not go bookshelf? (and put the extra cash on a better sub?)

The lower response of the speaker allows for a smoother crossover transition between the speakers. With a 12db/octave slope at 80Hz, your mains will be 12dB down at 40Hz, which means for a perfectly smooth transition, they need to be able to play down to 40Hz. In fact, they should ideally be able to play down to a little above 20Hz (the -20dB point). With a 24dB/octave slope at 80Hz, the mains will need to be able to play flat down to 40Hz (about the -20dB point)...the bookshelves will have a little trouble here, but the floorstanders will be just fine.

Btw, frequency response isn't everything either. Floorstanders tend to have a larger sound than their bookshelf counterparts. I think this can be attributed to the difference in polar response patterns between the two. The floorstander acts more like a plane source whereas the bookshelf acts more like a point source.

The floorstanders are also physically more effecient in the midrange frequencies which means less cone excursion and thus less distortion.

Granted, all the differences I'm talking about are rather nitpicky and all that, but they are audible. This is also not to say that you can't get a good sound from bookshelves (room acoustics will definetly have a larger role in all areas than the small differences between the speakers).

But with all other variables being ideal, I think it's fair to say that bigger speakers generally sound better. (a twist on Hoffman's Iron law)

The wife was gone last for a bit so I got test some music out :)

I fired up Who's gonna fill their shoes" by George Jones and it sounded unreal. I switched to 2 channel and the RB-35's sounded damn good on their own as well.

When you consider space and cost I am very happy I went with the bookshelves, I know I am in the minority on this but I am very happy.

I wonder if I am alos the only hick here who loves to fire up country music?

I'm sure an all bookshelf system will sound excellent, and I'm sure that a floorstanding system will sound somewhat better; how much and if it's worth the money depending on your room, your ears, and your budget. I went with floorstanders, and they fill my gigantic and acoustically challenged room much better than bookshelves alone do (I have 4 rb-35s, so I can A/B them). I do hope, however, that Shane-o-mac is indeed the only hick here who listens to country western...9.gif

It's ok, I listen to rap, which may be the polar opposite of country, but shares about the same level of popularity with audiofiles...

Scott

If you are going to put the bookshelfs on something existing....like a bookshelf or equipment rack....they have an advantage....

but if you are going to have to buy stands for these bookshelf speakers..then it is time to look at floorstanders..

Bookshelfs on stands... will have about the same footprint as floorstand speakers.....so what benefit would therer be with bookshelf speakers then?

So..........it all depends on the final location of your speakers....

good luck

Before I bought my system I listend to my system with RF's instead of RB's and I really could not hear any difference. I understand in 2 channel mode there would be some difference but why have a system if we are going to listen in 2 channel primarily.

In all honesty I just do not get the fasination with Floor standing over book shelf. I am not trying to be smart or flame, I really just do not get it.

Remeber the days before subs?

I used to have two monsterous "frat house" style speakers with 15" woofers. When setup properly you could feel your pant legs vibrate and your chest pounding with the beat. I have since then experienced few systems with that much bass (edit: in 2 channel setups...).

Speakers are basically air movers. I have since owned bookshelf speakers with longer excursion woofers capable of decent bass - but nothing that is chest pounding. However, they had their place and I like them.

Now, add a subwoofer and decent bass managmeent, you have (essentially) a three way speaker. The sub does the bass and frees up your bookshelf speakers to handle the mid-bass, mids, and highs. Afterall, the bass is what robs much of your power...

With the newer technology, you may be HAPPIER with smaller mains. But to Dodger's point, listen to them and make up your own mind. Your room, listening levels, format choice, music/movie mix will each uniquely impact your choice.