Bi-Amping Chorus II's

Bluesteel

• 2 weeks later...

Why in the world would one bi-amp the Chorus?

You would need a crossover for the woofer,cut the response where the upper range takes over.

I would get a good power amp,with a good power amp you dont need to mod and bi-amp,tri-amp or quad-amp speakers.LOL

Most Klipsch(if not all) dont need any bi-amping,just a good amp.The real deal is active bi-amping,you need an active crossover to distribute the signal to prper amps.

First what amps do you have?

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Ok ...

I was trying not to get into the gorry details, because I know many people will have trouble thinking outside of the speaker cabinet. But I found a set of Chorus II's with a blown Woofer for $200. I needed a Center Channel to match my existing Chorus II's and Forte II's, so I replaced the Woofer, and tried hooking them up on either side of the TV with the Center Channel output from a Denon AVR-3300 Receiver. This resulted in an astonishing 5-Channel sound-stage with all six speakers up front, but no matter what settings I try (even using just one Chorus II), there is little to no bass output from the Center Channel(s).

Since I have an old Carver TFM 35x amp (the kind with the Mad-Scientist meters, Hee-Hee Hee-Hee Hee-Hee), and no subwoofer; I thought I'd try sending the Subwoofer signal from the Receiver to the Amp, and then on to the Woofers on the center Chorus II's. Since the Woofers will only be getting the Sub-Woofer signal, I wouldn't need any extra Crossovers. But the Woofer leads coming from the Crossovers on the center Chorus II's will be disconnected, because I'll still use the Tweets and Squaks for the Center Channel output.

So ... Its just like Bi-Amping, but I wanted to know if I need to do something with the unused Woofer leads coming from the existing Crossovers. I found some non-inductive impedence loads that are used to test amplifiers, but I didn't know if that was overkill. I'm thinking a simple 8 Ohm Resistor would get too hot, even with the relatively small amount of watts from the Receiver's Center Channel output. Thanks for the info in advance ...

This message has been edited by Bluesteel on 09-18-2001 at 04:18 PM

God to hear all the "gorry details". Smile.gif

Now the picture is clear.

I would not even bother conecting any resistor to the "empty" leads.I would use electrical tape to insulate the leads and tie em up.

The amp will still drive the mids and highs with no problems.The resistor(s) would have to take at least 50W to be on the safe side and have some type of heatsink.

I would not even bother with any resistor(s).

And about the Carver TFM amps,I have the TFM-75 I like the meters alot.Some purists may not agree but the meters add some "prestige".LOL

Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

theear(s), i have watt meters on my ole vintage 1975 kenwood kr-9600. love 'em too. the 9600 is a massive beast. sounds great for stereo even for a receiver. back then bigger was better cwm16.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front)

2-KLF C7 (front center & rear center)

Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Acurus A200X5 power amp

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Monster HTS2500 & HTS1000 powercenters

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Technics dual cassette deck

rock on!

Boa12,about the Carver TFM-75,this monster mini-mite is rated at 750W RMS 8 ohms/channel full bandwith!

Each channel has its own power cord!And each channel can take the full 15AMPS at full power!

This amp is a fraction of the Krell FPB600,the FPB600 is rated at "ONLY" 600W RMS into 8 ohms/channel full bandwith.When you go down to 2 ohms(some Thiels may begin to get close)you get a GODZILLA like 2400W RMS per channel and full bandwith!

The downside is I had to pay an electrician to install a second heavy duty breaker box and pass 20AMP and up cables!These amps are thirsty for AMPS. LOL

The Carver TFM-75 "only" gives 1000W RMS at 4 ohms! Frown.gif

This is per channel,full bandwith again. Smile.gif

I cant wait to break in the RF-7's and step on the volume. Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I hope you're kidding! You evidently haven't spent much time listening to Klipsch in general and the Chorus' specifically. My Chorus' have a huge soundstage and by no means sound thin. Maybe it has something to do with what's driving them but I think you'll get the same opinion from everyone that owns a pair. But then, what do I know? I'm a little biased anyway...

Mike

No, I'm not kidding. After listening to Klipsch Forte's and Chorus II's for many hours, it just sounds like something is missing. Some of my CD's are not recorded very well, and its obvious when I play them on my B&W's. But there's not much difference between good and bad CD's when I play them on Forte II's, so I'm thinking that Klipsch is adding something or coloring the sound.

This message has been edited by B&W-Traitor on 09-26-2001 at 01:14 PM

B&W---What's a soundstage? I never heard one. I do have experience listening to and playing drums, guitar, electric bass, sax, organ and piano but I never jammed with someone who played a soundstage. Now the Klipschs can sound like those insteruments are right in the room with you but no B&W ever sounded to me like a Fender Jazz played though an Ampeg SVT was right there with me. But maybe they do sound like a soundstage, can I hear one at Guitar Center or Sam Ash?

Just telling it like I hear it ...

But what I see:

Forresthump: "other ulterior" => double redundancy, hehe

Mike Lindsey: Try defending your arguement instead of resulting to personal insults.

T Brennen: Turn out the lights, get in your sweet-spot, play something recorded well, and close your eyes. Ideally, you shouldn't be able to tell where your speakers are located. Not only should the instruments sound like they are in the room, but your sound system should be able to clearly define the location of each of the instruments. Those of us who have nice stereo equipment (i.e. Hi-Fi) call that a "Sound Stage."

B&W,

What can I say? I guess we will just have to agree on disagreeing. That was not an insult btw, you would know it if I was insulting you. It just seems odd that you come on this board, call yourself B&W-traitor, and make your first 3 posts putting down Klipsch speakers and heaping praise on your beloved B&W's. That sure doesn't sound like a B&W traitor to me. I've listened to the B&W's, A/B'd them at the local Sound Advice with the same electronics I'm running my Klipsch's with and I can tell you, "You can have them!" They are not for me.

We can argue till we're blue in the face on this subject and it is not going to solve anything. It's quite evident you are not a fan of Klipsch speakers, that's a given. But if you have nothing to add to this BB, you will be seeing a number of responses such as the one I left earlier. Not from me, however...I am done with you...

Mike

------------------

Family Room

-----------

Hitachi 43UWX10B HDTV (16:9)

Denon AVR-4800

Acurus A200X3

Panasonic DVD-RP91K (Progressive Scan & DVD-Audio)

Dual CS-5000 Turntable w/Shure V15V-MR

DBX 3bx Series III Range Expander

Klipsch Chorus (mains - Acurus Amp)

Klipsch KLF-C7 (center - Acurus Amp)

Klipsch Epic CF-2's (rears)

Klipsch RS-3's (rear surrounds)

SVS 20-39CS Sub w/Samson S700 Amp

Monster HTS-3500 Line Conditioner

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Digital Cable box

Monster M-500 Component Video cables

Monster Datalink 100 Digital Coaxial cables

Radio Shack Gold Series & AR for all other audio interconnects