slight ringing of fr-7's in the HF's

knorman

my 7's create a slight ringing in the HF during trumpets, electronic keyboards, and strings. I have a large room that is not all hard or soft, just the usual carpet with several windows. I use a mcintosh cd, c42 pre, and mc202 amp. the speakers wire is bi-wire with van den hul. the ic's are kimber hero xlr's. the speakers are 15ft apart and 25ft to my ears. they are toed in slightly. they are on spikes. the eq on the pre helps some , but will not get rid of the ringing totally. I changed to van den hul wire which helped some and also the kimber hero's helped a little. the only thing i have not changed is the ic's to the amp. could this ic create the ringing? or is something else working against me? i have never had the need to change a song because it hurt my ears, but this speakers/equipment combo is doing it to me. i have had the rf-7's just under 1 year and i find them very pleasant most the time , but the ringing at hf's is starting to bother me greatly. i did change the pre and amp, but stayed with mcintosh. i changed to speaker taps to 4 ohms and that helped slightly also. each change i make does seem to help, but nothing eliminates the problem. any suggections are greatly appreciated. btw the imaging,detail,soundstage,lf's,are all perfect,just this little bit of distortion?? or whatever is the concern. thanks for taking the time to read and help if you can.

Hi Norman,

I was just reading a thread the other day about a similar problem someone had. Seems like they may have used a little sound deadening product to cure that problem.

Maybe that person or someone with experience will chime in and enlighten us.

thanks for the replys. i tried the sound damping tweak last night. i will get time to listen seriously tonight and report back. the short time i had to try it last night did not show promising results, but i can be more attentive this evening. maybe my ears just picking up something that others do not because i heard this same problem with the big proac's and all ayre electronics at a dealer here. i heard the same cd on maggie's and all ss electronics with no ringing at all. just one of those things that make the hobby interesting?9.gif

Before you spend any more $$$$. Do a search in two-channel and HT about Dean's mod for the RF-7s crossovers. That removed the ringing for me early on, and I apologize for not bringing it to your attention earlier. The reviews in here speak for themselves.

It is not that expensive in the scheme of things. You simply remove your crossovers and send them Dean's way. I have had my RF-7s and my RC-7 done, and to date, it was the biggest bang for the buck mod (other than my tubed CD player) in my entire system.

Carl.

Another vote for DeanG's crossovers. You have to hear the improvement for yourself to appreciate it. However, room treatments will also help.

Do not give up on the RF-7s. They are very fine speakers and one of the best bargains on the market for upper end sound without high prices.

Bill

my networks are with dean right now and I hope to get them back by this weekend. I will post my results after installation and then again after dean's suggested breakin period. I am very hopeful that this will improve the rf's to be what my ear wants to hear. I am giving these speakers every chance to stay with me. They are very close to winning me over, but there is just something that is not right. The crossover could well be the problem. I hope so. regards

YAHOO!!!!!! I am really looking forward to hearing the results. Thank you very much Dean. If your work is anywhere near your professionalism the rf's should sing. I will have a report for all of you Friday and then another late next week. I will play them solid for 6 days and report back. Thanks again Dean I appreciate your helpfulness and love of audio. Regards, Ken16.gif

Ken, I look forward to hearing your impressions. Quick question for you (or Dean) - how difficult is it to remove the RF-7's crossovers? I don't see any screws along the speaker cabinet. How are you supposed to remove the planks to access the internal circuitry?