Which Sounds Better on a 5.1 system DD 5.1 Or DTS6.1?

masterngc

----------------

On 5/12/2005 1:43:00 PM masterngc wrote:

Which sounds better? Which audio mode is of a higher quality?

----------------

I prefer 6.1 over 5.1 either format...the center rear channel really fills in the sound effects in my wide room nicely....

comparing Dolby versus DTS for the same movie...and either 5.1 to 5.1 or 6.1 to 6.1.....

Well....I prefer DTS for most movies....sometimes a Dolby will be a bit better....but when given the choice...I will tend to play the movie in DTS the first time...and then maybe the second time I will switch betweenthe two to find which I prefer...which tends to be DTS about 95% of the time...

Good luck

I can't think of a single thing I own where the DTS is not noticably better. It seems like if there is a DTS track on disc, that is the one they put the effort into. I read somewhere that a Dolby compatible track is required on any recording in the US due to some FCC rule; otherwise we'd likely see a lot of discs with no DD track.

I would agree with what has been said I in almost all cases when I have heard both DTS and DD versions of the same movie that the DTS track sounds better (more dynamic, better intergrated surround, etc). That said in general I find movies that offer the choice of both tracks offer better sound. I think this can be explained because if the studio/producers spend the extra $ to provide a DTS encoded sound track it usually means they spend some effort on the track anyway. I don't see/hear to many movies with bad sound tracks that offer both DTS and DD, because why spend the $ if you didn't to the upfront/post production work to get the sound right. Since DD is the default, if sound track was an after thought its usually in DD or just Dolby.

That said I have heard a member argue the sole reason DTS sounds better is that it is recorded at a higher level. Not sure I buy that.

DTS is not inherently better. It is usually mixed much hotter. I like the hotter mix in most instances, so I usually watch the DTS mix first. One exception is Pirates of the Carribean, the Dolby sound track is better.

Good examples of DTS mixes that are hotter than DD are Master and Commander, and I, Robot. Both DTS mixes are excellent.

There are not many DTS movies in 6.1, so I use Dolby Prologic IIx to make a 5.1 into a "7.1". Not all processors with PL IIx will allow you to do this however.

Bill

By hotter DTS mixes I mean there is more dynamic range in the mix. The sound engineers seem to use the Dolby Digital sound track for average systems and tastes. The DTS track sometimes seems to be mixed a lot closer to the edge of clipping all but the best processors' DACs and amps on some movies. The dynamics make you think that you are there.

Bill