build an awesome HTPC or Jukebox.

All prices are courtesy of Newegg.com

Basic Design

----------------------------------------

CASE:
Nmedia
HTPC 100
(microATX w. power supply) - $110

The case includes external USB ports, as well as a built-in flash-card reader.

CPU:

AthlonXP 2600+
- $73

MOTHERBOARD:
MSI
K7N2GM-V
(nForce2 w. integrated video) - $54

MEMORY:
PNY
512MB SDRAM
(2x256MB, DDR) - $43

HARD DRIVE:
Samsung
Hard Drive
(160GB, IDE133) - $83

SOUND CARD:

Chaintec AV-710
(w. optical out) - $25

CD/DVD BURNER:
NEC 16X
DVD-R/+R/RW
(Dual-Layer capable) - $56

Sub-Total: $444

----------------------------------------

Options

TV-OUT/DVI-OUT:

Connect3D Radeon 7000
Video Card (AGP Interface, S-video/DVI Out) - $29

TV-TUNER/PVR:
Leadtek
TV2000XP/Expert
TV Tuner (Composite/S-video/FM Radio in, IR Remote) - $49

ALL-IN-ONE CARD:
ATI
All-In-Wonder Pro 9700
- $165

WIRELESS KEYBOARD/MOUSE:

Logitech Cordless Combo
- $24

Another good option for a Keyboard is Gyration. Long range (supposedly 30 ft.) RF, and you can use the mouse in the air. I have one and like it a lot.

While we're on the subject, Can you hook up more than one keyboard to a computer? And, is the range of the IR keyboards limited by the keyboard itself, and not the sensor? The reason I'm asking is, I'd like to buy a cheap wireless keyboard, and program some of the keys into my pronto remote, to work with my Zoom Player. Or should I just buy a HTPC remote?

Try and demo the Gyration before you buy and make sure you like it. We have one in our conference room at work. When it works it works ok. Most of the time it stinks. I would not my spend my money on one. Maybe they have imporved over the last year or so.

This is what I have going on:

In my equipment rack, I have a ROKU SoundBridge M1000

This was about $250 and allows for both wired and wireless access (included a CompactFlash wireless ethernet adaptor). It has both analog and digital output (coax and optical). It has a remote as well.

Since the router was nearby, I hooked it using a wired ethernet connection.

The music is stored on an older tower that I recently resurrected. It is a 850mhz Athlon with 256 megs of PC133 RAM running Windows 2K and all the updates. The thing contains about 1/2 terabyte of harddrive storage (thus acting as my file server for the whole network, not just as a music jukebox).

To access the music, I use SlimServer, although I need to use version 5.4, since, for some reason, the SoundBridge wont work with the latest version. This allows me to play just about any format, although it will not play DRM'd AAC formats (iTunes).

One of the nice things with SlimServer is that not only can I control the SoundBridge using it's own remote, but I can also control it from any PC that has a web browser installed. Thus, I can listen to and change the music right at the PC without having to getup and change CD's and such.

And since the music collection is on a server connected to a network, any of the machines connected to it (I currently have three) can rip music and store it to the server. Thus, I can have 4 machines (the server itself included) all ripping CDs at the same time. For an audio only setup, this is working out very nice for me.

For more than audio, a full-on HTPC would be nice, and is something that I am definitly interested in eventually doing. In fact, I do have enough spare parts that I'd like to look into building an HD-capable DVR for recording OTA HD programming (such as 24 on FOX network). Current commercial HD-capable DVR's are too friggan expensive ($1,000 for the HD DirecTiVo, for example).

ROKU does have a PhotoBridge device that will allow you to access photos, videos, etc over the network, which could very well work out nicely, thus leaving the PC itself in another part of the house. However, if you want TiVo-like capabilities, than a true HTPC is a must (or just get a TiVo).

----------------

On 5/18/2005 7:36:32 AM rplace wrote:

Try and demo the Gyration before you buy and make sure you like it. We have one in our conference room at work. When it works it works ok. Most of the time it stinks. I would not my spend my money on one. Maybe they have imporved over the last year or so.
----------------

I bet you no one has even bothered to try a different channel on the thing. That would probably solve all the problems. That, and make sure no equipment around it is causing interference.

meuge - Any insight on a HDTV tuner card? Seems to be a few front runners - myHD, Fusion, ATI HTDV Wonder...

Yes, you can have 2 keyboards and mice connected at the same time to a PC, one via regular connections and another via USB.

Also, I've heard but never tried that you can use a powered USB hub and build a really long USB cable out of CAT5 by splicing the USB ends onto it. That could work as a keyboard extension versus cordless, I suppose. Again, never tried this nor verified that it works.

----------------

On 5/20/2005 1:23:12 PM dougdrake wrote:

meuge - Any insight on a HDTV tuner card? Seems to be a few front runners - myHD, Fusion, ATI HTDV Wonder...

----------------

Unfortunately, HDTV tuner cards are pretty much useless at this point. They can only accept broadcast HDTV, which is usually the networks only.

Commercial HDTV, such as what you get via cable or satellite is encrypted, and needs to be decoded by the box. Unfortunately once it's been decoded, the amount of raw data is too much for any current TV card to handle in real time.

There are no TV cards with component or DVI inputs that are able to handle a full HDTV stream, simply because there is neither a chip that can handle it, nor is the PCI bus capable of streaming this data into the main CPU.

That being said, with the introduction of PCI-Express, with its insane bandwidth, and the defeat of the broadcast flag legislation (which would have essentially declared TV cards illegal in the first place), we can expect real useful TV cards to appear within a year or so. At this point, I'd recommend sticking with a good but inexpensive TV card such as the Leadtek, and waiting for HDTV.

I bet you no one has even bothered to try a different channel on the thing. That would probably solve all the problems. That, and make sure no equipment around it is causing interference.

----------------

Actually we have tried all the channels with the same results. I am less then impressed. However, I don't think anyone has looked for updated drivers...not even sure if there are any.