LCD or DLP

syd

Hi all, I know my question isn't audio related, but everyone provides great advice here that I thought I'd ask this question.

I'm looking at purchasing a new TV, but I don't know enough about LCD or DLP to understand the differences. Does anyone have any insight or know of a website I could look at for information? Thx.

• Like 1

the digital microdisplays are getting better by the minute.. but right now i would have to go with DLP. Ive installed just about every type of video display in museums around the country. DLP is the only system that doesnt have very many significant problems.

basically the big problem for me is that LCD suffers from the LCD pannel fading over time. ive seen this start to become very evident after the first 1000 hours of use(about 6 months).. DLP suffers no such degradation. combine that with superior blacks and contrast ratio, DLP comes out ahead.

as for the DLP problems, last years samsung DLPs(HLP series) had an issue where the TV would overload the bulb and blow it frequently.. samsung will replace the needed parts with new ones that apparently solve this problem under warantee. the new samsungs(HLR series) should not have this problem. as with any relatively new technology, i reccomend an extended warantee, especially one that covers bulbs unconditionally. the only place i know of that offers such warantee is bestbuy..

basically i am waiting for reports on how the HLR series performs before i take the plunge on a samsung 61 incher.. :)

basically i am waiting for reports on how the HLR series performs before i take the plunge on a samsung 61 incher.. :)

hehehehehe Go for it.. Samsung has done an outstanding job with the newer, more advanced, color wheel... (more colors spins faster).

Get the new Samsung 950 DVD player due this month, with a good DVI cable, and see incredible pics! (Optical audio out, too, for impressive sound as well into your pre amp!)

There is a Consumers report about 3 months back that covers those issues with great detail and clarity. They separate the ratings into about 3 or 4 catagories. I normally don't a'cotton to them but they did a very good job this time.

JJK

im waiting for my paycheck... i run an HTPC for DVD and SD output..

HTPC+Nvidia DVD decoders+FFDshow = as good a picture, if not better than anything money can buy.

im getting super itchy for the TV, but i have to doubble check my finances. but id say its less than a month away.. of course, ill post pics when i hook it up.

Spot on Indy. The Samsung HLR series is the set to buy in a month. 1080i goodness! I am looking at the 61" model as well. Beautiful. It's also great they have a narrow frame around the picture. It will fit with 1" space on either side into my entertainment space. Mmmmm....HLR...

well samsung is making 3 different versions of the HLR.. there will be a HD2+ model(720p) an HD4 model(720p) and an xHD4 model(1080p). personally im holding off on the 1080p model because #1 its a brand new technology, so it will cost a premium.. and #2, it will not accept 1080p input, only 1080i, which sucks because the PS3 will support 1080p as its native rez.. ill go with one of the cheaper 720p sets now, and perhaps in a year when ps3 comes out, ill upgrade if i can.

Great feedback. Thanks everyone!

There's a lot of talk about the Samsung 61" DLP, but what about the Toshiba 62" DLP. Anyone have any opinions on which might be better? From everything I've read so far, it sounds like Samsungs getting a lot of kuddos.

• Like 1

1080p i beleive is part of the HD-DVD/blueray spec.. so the PS3 will also play new blueray discs, hopefully some of them will support 1080p, but i would guess that most movie companys will encode the movies at 720p, especially because so few tv sets out there acctually accept 1080p..

1080p is simply not ready for prime-time just yet.. id wait a year.