pre/pro question

steelie

I'm torn right now between going with a 2-channel pre-amp that has an HT pass-through and one that doesn't. I know that for now I'll need to use my same front speakers for HT and music so if I go with a stereo pre-amp that doesn't have a pass-through, what are my options for merging my systems without playing the cable game? I don't want to have to connect and disconnect everything each time I want to watch a movie or listen to music through the stereo pre. Any suggestions? Thanks for the input.

What about Outlaw's new 990 pre/pro? That would solve all, if not most, of his problems. I think it lists for under a grand.

For the amps, I would check out places like audiogon.com. There's some deals to be had, depending on what your looking for.

I'm looking at a McIntosh C2200, which has an HT pass through for the front channels, and the McIntosh C46, which doesn't have the pass through. Both options have their good points. The C2200 is a tube pre that allows me to hook up my receiver for HT. The C46 is a solid state pre that may be a better fit for my system sometime down the road when I finally am able to get a second set of speakers and separate my stereo from my HT. It's all about managing the gear for the future. The HT pass through feature is great for right now. It's not something I hope I'll need in the future, though.

Thanks for your input and suggestions. Any more information on where to look for an A/B switch?

If you have other playback sources and an additional receiver/amp, Niles has speaker switching components that allow you to manually or remotely (depending on $) switch between two audio sources using a single pair of speakers. I've used their DPS-1 Amplifier/Speaker Box it worked well for me. You would have to manually select the A/B switch before listening to HT or 2 Channel for music. As stated earlier, it's low cost method if you already have the audio components available, just add the switch box and the needed length speaker wire.

http://www.nilesaudio.com/products/speakerselectors.html

DPS-1

Amplifier/Speaker

A-B Selector

DPS-1.jpg

Power handling: 350 watts per channel

Connectors accommodate up to 14 gauge wire

Table-top unit

Dimensions: 10-1/8" wide x 2-1/2" high

x 5-7/16" deep

Approximate shipping weight: 3 lbs.