Troubleshooting Quiz...with the RF7 line.

--udson

I just got my RF-7 towers yesterday. I watched a few movie scenes to give the whole system a run. I need only the RSW-15 to complete the 5.1. The system sounds great - sooo pleased. However, in a few loud scenes, the back right surround channel gave off a few quick little pops of static...

I wasn't driving them too hard. I was at about -20 db on my Yamaha. The troublesome scenes were with lightning and rumbling (LOTR-TTT), a space ship take-off (Apollo 13), and a space fight (SW-Empire Strikes Back). The rest of the speakers were totally fine.

I did not have time to troubleshoot it as we watched one of these films all the way through. So I am looking for some ideas.

So what's the problem?

a) That RS-7 speaker could be defective.

B) The Yamaha v2500 receiver could be defective.

c) The Yamaha v2500 receiver could be insufficient at even medium load.

c) You did a crap job on the wiring/soldering of the banana plugs and there's a bad connection with loud sound.

d) The wire is not good enough (old monster 16 guage cable on the surrounds).

e) Power DVD6 SPDIF decoding is the issue.

f) Move from the 5 year old Audigy 2 sound card to the new Audigy 4.

g) None of the above, you idiot.

h) All of the above, you fool.

i) Figure it out yourself, lazy buttocks!

j) Other...(explanation)

After voting, any suggestions on how I narrow things down quickly would be appreciated. Thanks!

][udson

Sounds to me like a speaker problem, but first you could elimate the amp as being the culprit by switching the RS-7's around, and seeing if the pop/noise stays in the same speaker. If the noise stays in the same speaker, then there is probably a good chance that it is not an amp or wire problem.

-PB

----------------

On 5/20/2005 11:47:06 AM pierceb wrote:

Sounds to me like a speaker problem, but first you could elimate the amp as being the culprit by switching the RS-7's around, and seeing if the pop/noise stays in the same speaker. If the noise stays in the same speaker, then there is probably a good chance that it is not an amp or wire problem.

-PB

----------------

Thats a great starting point. Narrow down the possabilities one step at a time and start with the easiest.

I'll agree with these fellas. You've done a good job of identifying what the potential culprits are, so now the thing to do is just to go through and eliminate each one. Personally I'd start by switching the speakers. If the flaw follows the speaker, you're done. If it stays with the channel, you've most likely got a bad connection at the speaker, a bad connection at the amp, or a bad channel in the amp. That means you'd start by cutting off the banana plugs at the speaker end and making a bare wire hookup. Test again, and if necessary to the same thing at the amp side.

Incidentally, if you've got a bad connection at the speaker, you may find that swapping the speakers makes it go away. That's pretty much a best-case scenario. 1.gif

After checking the connections my second thought would be that the receiver was clipping, but the v2500 looks pretty powerful and although cant be sure the 20 typically would not cause that even with really hotly mixed DVD tracks.

Again if the connections look good I would look at your settings for the rear surrounds through the receiver, if they are set to Large they could be getting the full signal and the receiver may be over driving the woofers and giving you the noise on what I assume are very dramatic bass intense scenes.

Hudson,

All speakers except your mains should be set as small. Receivers do not have enough power to run speakers as large. It might be worth it to check your settings before you clip a new speaker.

Set your mains to small when the subwoofer comes in.

Bill

----------------

On 5/25/2005 1:38:42 AM MrMcGoo wrote:

Set your mains to small when the subwoofer comes in.

Bill

----------------

Bill, I have wondered if I should set the mains to small as well, I have RF 7's and an RW 12. I am in my mind happy with the bass response so far, but maybe I could be happier. I am running Adcom pre/pro seperates, 125 x 7 as far as power goes.

Northshore,

Some go along with THX and run all speakers as small and others think that it is a "waste" of RF-7s to run tham as small. Small is best with a crossover of 60 or 80 Hz IMO. The small setting reduces bass cancellations, cabinet resonances and power requirements for the amp.

For 2 channel music, large is ok.

I leave my RF-7s set as small even though Ampzilla has way more than enough power. I let the RSW-15 do all of the lower bass because that is what it was designed for. I have the distance set to get a perfect splice with the mains. The distance that gets it done is a couple of feet longer than actual. Experiment with longer distance settings to get a perfect splice with no cancellations.

If you run mains as large and a subwoofer, most folks get boomy bass that they interpret as more bass. Tighter bass is what it is all about IMO.

Bill

Thanks Bill, I will try setting the RF's to small and let the RW do it's intended job. I agree with you that it is relatively easy to make it loud in regards to boomy bass. However, I prefer Quality over Quantity any day of the week when it comes to most things but it is mandatory when it comes to the listening room.