MC amps: Sunfire vs B&K

ottscay

Any thoughts? It'll likely be a while before I can go for a 5 or 7 channel amp, but I want to start thinking about it. What are the pros/cons of the Cinema Grand series vs. the B&K Reference series? Probably looking at 200wpc versions of either of them. I assume either could drive RF-7s without breaking much of a sweat?

Thanks!

Scott

Scott,

The advantages of the Sunfire are low heat production which means more of the electricity available from the wall can go to the speakers. Lower weight with good power is also an advantage of the Sunfire. The bass on RF-7s is outstanding with the Sunfire.

The older Sunfirs had a signal to noise ratio of -100db on the 200 watt models. Newer models are -115 db. The older models have a very faint hiss if you put your ear right up to the tweeter.

I used to have a B&K ST2140. The B&K sounds good with Klipsch, but the 140 watt model is not in the same class as the 200 watt models. The 140 watt model used 2 pairs of output devices. The 200 watt models use 5 pairs. The signal to noise ratio on most B&K amps is -95db.

Both the B&K and Sunfire amps have more than enough power for RF-7s. I went with the Sunfire due to inadequate ventilation in my rack.

I just moved up to the Signature models in the 5 and 2 channel amps. They are a bit more detailed and clearer than the 225x5 model.

Bill

No doubt B&K is excellent as well. Where Sunfire takes them, IMO, is the different taps for current and voltage which allow you to take the edge of a forward speaker by putting a 1 ohm impedance off the current posts....my two cents and experience having owned both...that said, neither would disappoint

Does anyone have a direct preference for sound betwixt the two?

My B&K 4430 runs quite warm, but is laid back.

I haven't heard a Sunfire in a long time, but the one I heard was somewhat forward. It wasn't a long audition....

Any thoughts?

I cannot comment on the Sunfire, as I've never heard it with the Klipsch, but I can certainly say that one will not be disappointed with the B&K, though.

I agree with the above - get what you can get the best deal on. Also, if at all possible, try to listen yourself. But beyond that, I don't think you'd be doing wrong going with either one.

b&k laid back? it is anything but laid back, as a matter of fact it is known as an analytical amp/procesor, it is very dynamic, after listening to alot of different products i too liked the sunfire, but the sunfire is better in ht, it seems to lack in delivery in music, wheeas the b&k just seems to have no weaknesses, i will take b&k over sunfire any day and as far as build, the b&k is a tank

Sunfire has done a better job for me with music than my B&K ST2140.

The Sunfires draw less electricity from the wall for the same power to the speakers. They do not waste electricity to produce heat. Not only do they not dim the lights, they do not lighten your wallet on your power bill.

Also, Bill did not mention that you can't equate wieght with quality when buying a Sunfire. Wieght is a non-issue. So being a tank is not relevant. Like I said, I'd just go with whatever is cheaper. But you do get both the tube type hookup and the pure SS hookup with the Sunfire, I don't know about the B&K. The Sunfire has massive devices in it to handle any load down to just about 2 ohms. You will never stress it out.