Changing the gain of the line amp

Yesterday I pulled out a mothballed Carver C-1 that is in really good shape. I now remember why I stored it in the first place. The gain on the volume control comes up way too fast for me.

The room measure's about 9 1/2' X 11' X 8'4". The speakers are 87db sensitive with a 150wpc amp. With the volume control facing 10:30 to 11 o'clock (off being about 7 o'clock) it just about runs me out of the room. I don't have a portable SPL meter to tell me what that come to.

I found a copy of the owner's manual and they actually have a section on this "problem/preference". It says:

"The line amplifier gain may be reduced as follows.

Reduced 3db 910ohm for resisters R258 & R358, 4.3k on resisters #R259 and #R359.

Reduced 6db 1.3k and 2.2k (respectively)

Reduced 9db 1.8k and 1.5k (respectively)"

I'm leaning towards the 1/4 watt 5% tolerance. Factories are 10%.

I guess my question is where the volume control would be to pruduce the same gain with each one of those reductions. I would like to get the same volume at the 12 o'clock position that it now gives at 10 o'clock.

Maybe there no easy answer to this other than to get a bag full of resisters and try each one.

Tom,

You haven't given us enough information to tell. If you can put a dummy load on the output, feed it a sine wave and measure the output at the 10 and 12 positions we could take a stab at which would be closest.

Hi Tom

Not sure with the Carver Control but if you want to have the 12:00 close to the 10:00 position then my guess would be at least the -6db to -9db option.

Its said that most people will perceive -10db decrease as a halving of loudness level. So does that seem like what you hear when you go from 12:00 to 10:00 position on the Volume control?

Also I would look at the tolerance and wattage size of the resistors already there. You can't go wrong with a tighter tolerance. Seems like years ago Radio Shack sold a pack of 1% resistors in small wattage approx 1/4w if I remember correctly if these did happen to be small wattage resistors in those locations.

mike1.gif

Mark-

I wish I had something to make a sine wave with2.gif. I ust don't have much equipment at my disposal.

Mike-

Yea, I don't want to go past 12:00, it would be the same position as my Mac C33. These look to be either 1/4 or 1/2 watt resistors. I won't know for sure until I get to RS and compare the sizes. RS doesn't have 1% tolerance like I'd want but 5% is still better than the 10% ones that are in there. I wa sgoing to get the ones for a 3db reduction but now that you gave me a little info I may go with the 6db setup.

Figures! Just got back from RS and they discontinued most resistors that are not an even thousand value. grrrrrrrrr......

I don't even know what RS is listed under in the Yellow Pages so I can see if there are any other places that sell em'.

I didn't really want to mail order these but Parts Express may be getting a call from me.

----------------

On 5/21/2005 2:28:13 PM Tom Blasing wrote:

Yea, I think I'll just get all the ones they mention and make a day of it.
4.gif

----------------

It's probably trial and error anyway, for which of the different level control settings sounds best. I once had an SAE amp with a quality -3, -6, -9, and -12 db click-stop control, and with K-horns, I had to set -9 or -12. The -12 sounded too subdued. I'm a little surprised that 87db speakers need that much attenuation, though the room is small. Intuitively, -6 might be good to start with (as Mark's logic also suggests).

Larry

I would not go modifying the line amp unless it was absolutely necessary.

Rather, why not pad the output. The Dope from Hope mini-box circuit shows how to do this with two 25k audio pots. You could probably use any value down to 10k with no problem and even use a dual pot.

Gil