Microphonic tube?

thebes

I was tapping the tubes on my amp last night just to see if they were fully seated, and one of the small line tubes sounded funny. The others sound like you are tapping on a glass window, but this one sounded sort of hollow like it was reverbrating through the speaker. YOu know sort of like if you tapped on 3dzappers skull.

What I'm wondeering if this is what's called microphonics (if I'm even saying that right). If it is should I change out the tube. I have two good spares.

"YOu know sort of like if you tapped on 3dzappers skull."

Thanks Buddy!!!! I know that sound all too well.

Microphonics is what you call it correctly. If the tube doesn't effect the sound in normal operation, don't worry about it until you can get a replacement. What type of tube is it? I might be able to send you the wrong type.

Rick

Whoops! Sorry Rick, I meant to put a smiley thing after my wisecrack-or did I?

So I gather it is microphonic but it doesn't hurt anything?

I have two really good spares so replacements not an issues, just wondering if I should bother, you know, soundwise. The tube in question itself tests as brand new.

Smilin sent me a pinch-waist 6922(?) to replace the Cca in my blueberry but it turned out to be microphonic, big time! The thing is, it still was the best sounding tube I've ever had in that slot. If they weren't so damn expensive, I'd buy one.