OT: Music Teacher Gift Suggestion

fini

Normally, I would put this down in the General forum, but thought the folks with the best ideas might see this here.

My youngest daughter will be graduating from middle school (8th grade) in a couple of weeks. She's played clarinet in school bands since 4th grade. Her band teacher these last 3 years is an amazing woman. Sally consistently gets the best out of these kids, and my wife and I (as well as other parents) are very proud and happy to have her in our community. She is the teacher I (and probably my daughter) will miss the most when she goes off to high school (one that has no band...Technology High School, on the Sonoma State University campus).

Well, we'd like to get her a gift. I'd say our budget is around $100 (but could go higher, especially if we snag other parents). I was thinking of some equipment to record (digitally) performances, and to play back in the classroom, or at home. Something easy to use (she is SO busy at performances) is manditory.

I'm open to other suggestions, but gift certificates are out.

The District Band Festival is tonight, and is my daughter's last performance. Anyone within driving distance should check it out. They'll blow your mind! 7PM, Rancho Cotate High, Rohnert Park, CA.

Good practical idea - if you can find something do it.

If not - to hell with practical - get something cute. Our usual standby when all else fails is that crystal Swarovski (spelling?) stuff. You can usually find something appropriate - little musical instruments of all types are common.

Probably not the idea you were looking for - but most of the fillies go for this stuff big time....maybe not for Pro-Wrestlers with hairy chests though.

Go to her and ask

"I'm amazed at what you are able to do with these students. Are there pedagogical tools you wish you had but don't?"

Or ask your daughter to ask her teacher what she wished she could have in the classroom.

I find that as I get older, one really nice addition to my music stand is a very bright light. :-)

Or maybe you could pick up the cost of an instrument rental for a talented but financially challenged youth in her name.

just a few suggestions

Forrest

Fini,

That's awesome you want to say thanks to a special teacher. I like the idea of helping with an instrument rental for a gifted student.

Another thought is if you can get a few more parents involved an iPod. Just my .02

Paul