Void Free Baltic Birch Plywood

----------------

On 5/25/2005 5:02:50 PM BS Button wrote:

This is what I understand served as the basis for the Heritage line for years. What or how many ply's? and where do you get it? Thickness was 3/4", correct?

BS

----------------

http://www.woodcraft.com/ has sheets up to 24 x 30 inches

http://www.woodnshop.com/hardwood/Baltic_Birch_Plywood.htm

has sheets 5 x 5 ft

Baltic birch is metric so 5 x 5 ft sheets are the largest I've seen. The second link has 3/4 inch 13 ply which is about as good as it gets...I can't exactly speak to what Klipsch used (thickness and plies), but it was high-quality plywood. Paul told me in 1978 that he used Russian plywood, although he didn't like their politics.

Early Klipschorns were made of 1/2" fir, then for a while the Klipschorn and LaScala were made from 12mm Baltic Birch. The LaScala then went to 3/4" Birch plywood. Later the Klischorn went to Luan.

The other Heritage models were made of 3/4" Lumbercore (Poplar) with a veneer face.

The unfinished Cornwall and Heresy were made of the same 3/4" Birch as the LaScala.

The CII and HII went to MDF.

All my decorator Heritage are of 7 ply "Birch plywood" as djk said... which isn't the same thing as Baltic Birch.

----------------

On 5/25/2005 7:17:55 PM boom3 wrote:

Baltic birch is metric so 5 x 5 ft sheets are the largest I've seen. The second link has 3/4 inch 13 ply which is about as good as it gets...

----------------

Baltic-Birch.jpg

Ditto. The sheets of Baltic Birch i've seen, and have, are 1500mm x 1500mm (5'x5'), 13plys, and 20mm thick (25/32"). It also weights about twice as much as regular ply. It's nice stuff... my subwoofer is made of it.

Rob

post-11489-13819266129374_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 5/26/2005 8:18:41 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

Yes, all mine are 7 ply as well. It must have been available in 4x8 sheets at one time. Isn't the reason the LaScala box is 24"x 24" to make perfect use out of a sheet of plywood?

Michael

----------------

The last Birch I got was 11 ply. Unfortunately, a 48" width won't get you two 24" panels after you run a saw through it. Maybe close enough.

You could try ApplePly , which uses 1/16" layers of Birch and Alder. Up to 1 1/4" thick.

Marvel

ApplePly.pdf

AH, so it's not just the outer layers, like in veneered plywood- it's ALL birch? Isn't the Baltic birch fairly lightweight for a medium 'hardwood'? I remember my boss at Caliope Sound building some 6' all in one cabs with Community fibreglass horns. They were super light for such monstrosities. He said it was the type of wood (baltic birch).

So THAT's why my back hurts from muscling around all those cabinets in the garage the other day. In my younger days, could carry a LS up a flight of stairs. Now it's a herculean effort just to double-stack the durn things!

Michael

"The other choice might be "Balsa Birch"?"

Klipsch Pro made some speakers out of end grain balsa, similar to racing boat construction. Sub was dual 18, mid-bass horn loaded 15, various HF options.

Click on 'images' (you need a TIFF viewer)

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=5,000,286.WKU.&OS=PN/5,000,286&RS=PN/5,000,286