Newbie with Question

Have a question for all you Klipsch fans. I have a 2400 sq foot truck repair facility and want to install a sound system. I bought a pair of used RF15 model speakers, and find that they are not quite loud enough, without overdriving the woofers. My next thought is to buy a local used Klipsch subwoofer, specifically KSW 15 to run with the RF 15. This would give me the bass that I need and take some of the load off from the RF15.

The second option, is move the RF 15 to my RV, and buy a local set of KLH 20 used for 800.00 CDN.

I am running a 150 watt per channel power amp with whatever system I choose.

The third option, would be to contact my brother, who I do not get along with, but has my Klipschorns that I bought in 1985, and sold to him in 1988. I know there are sitting in his house doing nothing.

I am leaning towards the KLH 20, as I went through the forum here, and they seem to be enjoyed by many here.

Any thoughts guys.

Thanks

I probably should have not mentioned the Khorns, on a forum like this, I would sooner, rob the grocery money for the next year, and buy the Khorns-new, than to deal with the brother.

So with that out of the loop, KLH 20 mounted, 12 feet up and spaced 30 feet apart, or the same deal with the RF15 spaced the same, but with the sub in the center???????????????

Guys in the shop are in thier 40's, alot of easy listening type music, but once in awhile we want to rock it.

Not sure but how about some industrial speakers, Colterphoto is becoming our resident authority on these and I'm sure he'll check in.

Oh, and give us your brothers address, tell us when he won't be home and we'll see what we can do.

Welcome. You'll like it here.

I am not familar with KLH speakers but the RF-15 certainly cannot move a lot of air with those two small woofers...in that kind of install I would prefer to hang speakers that can move a lot of air (read multiple 12" woofers or better) rather than a subwoofer on the floor somewhere. again I cannot comment on the KLH speakers. regards, tony

Give US your brother's contact info and WE will deal with him! Seriously though, there are enough nice people on this forum that someone would act as middleman and buy those horns to sell to you for little or no profit. Most of us would rather see a fellow forum member get K-horns than know they are wasting away in the home of someone who does not appreciate them.1.gif

What about cornwalls? You should be able to find a decorator pair, or not so aesthetically pleasing pair, for less than $800CAN. They might not totally rock the shop like khorns or lascalas would, but will provide some reasonable listening levels, and might be able to "put out" once in a while when asked nicely.

I have a decorator pair for my shop along with an HK630. Now all I have to do is build a shop for them.2.gif

-PB

Thats funny, I was just going to ask if you were referring to KLF20's. They would be a much better choice than the RF-15's. I still think you should consider cornwalls. Do you live in near Alberta, there seems to be a lot of Klipsch around those parts. You might find a pair cheap.

-PB

Used to live in Alberta back in the 80's, bought the Khorns in Winipeg around 85.

My choices are limited to the subwoofer with the RF15's, or the KLF 20, as both items are available in excellant condition-used in Toronto where I am located.

I read somewhere the KLF 20 approaches the sound level of the K Horns? That ought to be enough for this truck shop??

I really like the RF15's, very nice midrange and upper end, can listen to those and not get tired at all.

ah ha! klf20s, those are much better than the RF15s in this application BUT they are ported on the back so hanging them would be a no, no...I would bet floor placement about a meter from the back wall (or that far out from corners) would give some nice sound in that space. regards, tony

Guest Anonymous

Big Rig-

I hope you mean a pair of KLF 20's first, and second that is a pretty steep price for those. You can get a pair of KLF 30's for that price and pay maybe another 75 for shipping or so. I think that if you want to go that route buy the bigger ones because the 30's are a much better speaker than the 20's. As I am sure others have said look into a pair of Cornwall or La Scala's as well. I would stay away from buying a ksw 15 with the rf 15's personally, but its your choice to make.

Best,

George

When I moved out of the west, I did not want to move them, had them for sale and my brother ponied up the money. He sold them to my other brother many years ago, and then bought them back, I could have bought them then, say around 95 for a grand, but did not have the room for them.

The balance of the equipment that I had, I just parted with maybe three years ago, I hanged onto thoses pieces for years, kick myself now for that too.

KLF 30, are they that much better, I thought 800.00 CDN for the 20's was a good price, considering they retailed for 2400 per pair new 7 years ago. These units are in excellant condition too.

Keep the opinions coming guys, cause I am buying/doing something this coming Saturday, I have the two gentlemen with the used equipment on hold till I make up my mind.

Given the size of that shop, the KLF30's would no doubt give you more of what the 20's could deliver. But that doens't mean the 20's won't be sufficient. If there is any chance to audition the 20's in that listening environment first, then I would try to do so. $800CDN for the 20's isn't a screaming deal, but it isn't overpriced either, especially if there are no other taxes or shipping costs to be paid. After looking at those pics, I really think some lascalas would be ideal.

-PB