RF7 Vs KLH 30 VS CF-4 which one is the best overall

im in the market for a pair of one of these sets of speakers, SO I need some input from all you klipsch fans out thier, I have heard a pair of the CF-4 a long time ago and they blew me away but now people brag about the RF-7 and the older KLH30 so which one is the best overall. I listen to every type of music out thier, I have a Denon AVR 3300 and a THule DVD 250 , what should I get 12.gif

----------------

On 5/26/2005 4:30:42 PM mpmiller1980 wrote:

im in the market for a pair of one of these sets of speakers, SO I need some input from all you klipsch fans out thier, I have heard a pair of the CF-4 a long time ago and they blew me away but now people brag about the RF-7 and the older KLH30 so which one is the best overall. I listen to every type of music out thier, I have a Denon AVR 3300 and a THule DVD 250 , what should I get
12.gif

----------------

----------------

----------------

Please don't confuse the KLF-30 with the KLH brand.....eeuuu, makes me shudder lol. I own the 30's and would have it no other way. It's personal preference, you have to let your ears decide. The RF-7's will be easier to get as the KLF-30's (Legend line) have been long discontinued. The 30's also are a 3-way type speaker with tweeter, midrange & woofers as the RF-7's are not, although they do sound remarkably good nontheless.

FWIW

I compared the KLF30 and the RF7 side by side using the same source material and amplification.

I preferred the KLFs and bought them even though at that point in time I could have purchased either.

Both systems were breathtakingly good but the KLFs had more "slam" in the upper midrange yet overall sounded more "You are there" ie. more real than the RF7s.

You cannot go wrong whichever you buy!

The RF-7 is better overall. It can play any type of music and always sound great.

I have the KLF-20 and comparing it to the RF-7, it sounds thin and not as accurate or

as realistic to the sound, just not as convincing sounding as the RF-7 are.

The RF-7 are outstanding speakers, it's really far exceeded my expectations. It

has a fuller richer sound than the KLF, studio quality accuracy, and more real

sounding, as if the singer was there singing in front of you. I just don't get this

same effect from the KLF, although the KLF models are quite good. I'm going to sell

my KLF-20 and get another RF-7. The RF-7 has a more real LIVE sound with how accurate

and fuller sounding it is.

• Like 1

----------------

On 5/28/2005 1:43:15 AM msst wrote:

The RF-7 is better overall. It can play any type of music and always sound great.

I have the KLF-20 and comparing it to the RF-7, it sounds thin and not as accurate or

as realistic to the sound, just not as convincing sounding as the RF-7 are.

The RF-7 are outstanding speakers, it's really far exceeded my expectations. It

has a fuller richer sound than the KLF, studio quality accuracy, and more real

sounding, as if the singer was there singing in front of you. I just don't get this

same effect from the KLF, although the KLF models are quite good. I'm going to sell

my KLF-20 and get another RF-7. The RF-7 has a more real LIVE sound with how accurate

and fuller sounding it is.

----------------

you can't compare klf-20's to rf-7's that not a match. KLF-20 would go more against the rf-5.

I think the CF-4 and KLF-30 are the closest sounding things to a Klipschorn without requiring the floor space. Technically, I think this is because:

* The CF-4/KLF-30's two 12" woofers move about as much air as a 15"

* The horn crossover points are much lower. While the CF-4 horn is set at 1500 Hz (and not nearly as low as the 450 Hz midrange of the Klipschorn), it is still better than the tiny 8" horn of the RF-7 (single tweeter/mid @ 2200 Hz). The KLF-30 stock is the clear winner of the three you're considering (850 Hz midrange) in terms of crossover point/"eliminating holes in the midrange"

When I bought my CF-4's, I couldn't stand the "big hole" caused by the midrange at 1500 Hz. I knew this when I bought them, but I had a plan. I gutted out the passive crossover and replaced it with a active crossover and bi-amping. This is now the backend of my system:

Two Klipsch CF-4's upgraded with JBL 2426H 1 3/8" - 18 TPI screw-on tweeter drivers THESE ARE AWESOME UPGRADES over the Klipsch drivers, but at $299 each, they should be!

Passive crossover removed and replaced with RANE AC-23B Active Crossover configured with:

- two-way Linkwitz-Riley 24 db/octave

- 800 Hz cross-over point (stock was 1500 Hz)

- an AC-23B featured horn delay setting for electronic phase-alignment of woofer & tweeter using RANE's pink noise/real-time analyzer procedure

Each CF-4 bi-amped with two Denon POA-6600 200 watt mono-block amps

In summary, my recommendation to you is to either buy the KLF-30 if you plan to do NO UPGRADES to the drivers (they are pretty good as they are in this 3-way) or get the CF-4's two-way and do the best you can with the 1 3/8" threaded horn that Klipsch provides you...which is upgrade the horn drivers with JBL 2426H's, ($299 each)

If want to experient & have money to burn (say $1000 each tweeter driver), you could look at Pioneer/TAD TD-2001's...but you have to deal with adapting the Klipsch 1 3/8" threaded horn to a 3"/2 hole mount...this is not for the faint of heart as I know no one who has done it and the cabinet may not be deep enough for the stack of parts.

That all said, I'm really happy with my CF-4's and JBL-2426H drivers! Even with the stock Klipsch passive crossover at 1500 Hz, the JBL-2426H is a worthy upgrade over the stock Klipsch driver, which appears to be an OEM Eminence PSD2002...a $55 driver with a 34 ounce magnet vs. the JBL weighs in at 9 1/2 pounds overall! The PSD2002 is rated at 80 watts above 1600 Hz vs. the JBL at 70 watts above 800 Hz (100 watts above 1200 Hz), but you'll become deaf if you try to test this with the JBL's because they are about 2 dB more efficient with the same horns.

SkipBogard Dude, yous don't know what you are talkin about Dude. I had the KLF-30's and now they is GONE. the RF-7 is better, I heard it right away and the RF-7 give best worlds of both cone and horn together for strenghts of both. I aint listen to ya cause I been there done that and I know these RF-7 is better Dude, all the ways around. I's in awesome heaven with my RF-7 and pick it over yours any day of the years.