Jazz recommendations

Coytee

I like what I'll call structured music. Meaning, a tune that seems to tell a story and goes somewhere.

I've heard Jazz that at times, seems to be just a bunch of jibberish. Unfortunatly (perhaps) for my ears, I find that hard to follow.

So, what are some Jazz recommendations that are more tuneful, than "freeform"?

I'm getting a hankering on getting a new tube amp and probably the Jolida CD player, which is going to drive the wife NUTS.

She happens to like some of the live jazz bands we've seen so I figured, if I get some nice jazz cd's, have them playing when she comes home with the lights out...

She'll stop & dropjaw (hopefully) at the sound of the band playing in the house.

Then all is good, right guys? c'mon, tell me it's all good then?

Ok, so what are some good Jazz cd's?

Well, I have to tell you that my wife still goes a little weak in the knees every time the needle hits the goove on the opening track of "Chet Baker Sings." Not only is this a great jazz vocal LP, but Baker and Freeman solo with passion and style. And it's a great mono recording as well.

B00005LA0Y.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Another great jazz LP that can really set the mood is Ben Webster's "Soulville" on Verve.

B000084I0H.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Backed by the Oscar Peterson trio (who manages to stay out of the way for once in his life!) plus Stan Levey on drums. Ben Webster at his smokey, soulful best.

If you're after mellow, but with musicality and accessibility, check out Charlie Haden's Quartet West recording Haunted Heart. He went for a film noir aesthetic and achieved it with this record (available on Gitanes CD). IT begins with the fanfare from "The Maltese Falcon", and segues into Hello My Lovely, a nice mid-tempo tune.

hauntedheart.gif

The quartet consists of Charlie on bass, with his big, woody tone and taste to match in no short supply. Larance Marable on drums, Ernie Watts on tenor (I was a bit scared when I saw his name, as I've heard some truly horrific stuff with his name on it, but was nicely surprised), and Alan Broadbent playing piano.

The playing is really above reproach, as are the sonics of the recording. There are some moments of really rare beauty on this record. The quartet's phrasing and sense of tension and release individually and as a group is spot on.

There is a bit of a trick to the production that may turn some off. Three tunes contain prerecorded material from old discs. Haden doesn't get into the karaoke thing that some other artists fall prey to, and I think the clips serve the mood of the record as a continuum and the film soundtrack feel as well. I thought it was cool that they were transcribed from Charlie's own vinyl.

The transcriptions are: Jo Stafford, Haunted Heart , Jeri Southern, Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye (man what a gorgeous voice and song), and Billie Holiday singing Deep Song. I had never heard Deep Song before this album, and it is really quite moving. Nobody does torch songs like Billie. Talk about laying your soul bare.

One caveat, if the mood is set, and you're just looking to sustain it, skip right to track 2. That fanfare will really hit you...

The jazz subgenre of "swing" is relatively structured. The Count Basie Orchestra is always a good start -- 1930s to 1940s was the highpoint of swing, but artists have been recording in that style since then. Older styles of Jazz are going to have structure but were talking music recorded on 78s and wax cylinders... probably a little too harsh on the ears.

Allan is the undisputed expert on all things jazz in this forum and a class act even when I abuse him about "hard to understand/listen too" jazz.

Which live jazz bands did your wife like that you saw? That would help focus the recommendations. When you say "tells a story", do you mean musically through development or through the meaning of the words of a singer?

Flameproof Paul

Thanks for the recommendations. 1.gif

I like Ella Fitzgerald. Her music is easily accesible. Ella's songbook series is long-running and interesting. Probably the best way to start is with 'The Best of the Songbooks' on Verve. Standout track would include 'Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered' - Ella's voice is like honey...

Another album I like is 'Back to Back' with Duke Ellington and Johnny Hodges, also on Verve. This is a stereo recording from 1959.

I was listening to Miles Davis's "Kind of Blue" the other night, and for an old recording, it is pretty darn nice.

I tend to like the (dare I say it?) "pop-ish" jazz groups like the Yellowjackets, Flim and the BBs, Weather Report, etc. I also recommend Patricia Barber (vocalist).

DM2.gif

There was a thread that ran a year or two back which generated lots of good jazz recommendations and a couple of folks compiled them and put up a web page. There is also a downloadable Excel file. So if you'd like an instant list of recommendations go here.