Front three: 3 matching LaScala's or 3 KL-650-THX

kenratboy

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Three matching La Scala's, fully horn loaded, more versatile applications. Plus I have three matching La Scalas in my front array well two at the moment one is getting refinished and they sound terrific regardless of the application theatre or multi channel music.

• 1 month later...

Why do you think the la scala's would be that much better. Have you a/b'd them to hear the difference? The Thx were made for the theater and based on their professional speakers in theaters. I have no doubt that the scalas would be better for music but why for theater? The question stated front 3 so this indicates theater applications. BTW I own the THX and I am interested in the scalas. I am new to klipsch and did not even know what they were until I read this thread. Of course I have been researching now. Let me know. I am always looking for the ultimate home theater sound. Thanks

James

I am convinced the good DRWho and I hear virtually the opposite because after the pilgrimage the La Scala HT blew them away I was left unimpressed by the THX Ultra II HT set up when compared to the La Scala/Belle Klipsch HT Musically they sounded empty and thin lacking the full robust sound and in the HT application the three La Scala front was astounding coupled to the THX Ultra II subs....The comment made by Klipsch during the music presentation about the positive feedback on how well the THX Ultra IIs imaged.. again I did not hear it. Now having just dragged them through the mud which was not my intention they are a good HT set up but IMO they do/cannot match the big old horns.

----------------

On 7/13/2005 2:24:03 PM J.4knee wrote:

I am convinced the good DRWho and I hear virtually the opposite because after the pilgrimage the La Scala HT blew them away ...

----------------

I didn't dislike the THX setup, but it didn't compare to my Reference HT. I agree that, IMHO the 3 lascalas with the THX subs blew everything I heard away. 6.gif

In both set ups (best I can remember) I was more in the middle. Slightly more toward the back in the LaScala setup.

IMO, to have the LaScala HT you would have to have a larger room than most houses have. I also think being on the 2nd floor was a plus for the demo and bass response.

But what do I know--In the A/B test I chose the louder speaker.9.gif

I was towards the rear center for the LS/Belle HT and front center for the THX Ultra II. I should have indicated I thought the THX Ultra II sounded very good but the Heritage HT just blew me away. I kind of drug the THX Ultra II through the mud and that was not my intention. From talking to others when they played the U571 clips and the depth charges went off in some groups people actually got up and moved back due the compression coming from the subs. So yeah maybe back further was a more palatable experience. I normally run three La Scalas up front except for now I am slowly refinishing my center bass bin. So I was delighted to he the THX Ultra II Subs integrate so well with the La Scala front array. In my set up one of the subs should be plenty given my room dimensions. Anyway I enjoyed the A/B test very much and like most had my preference of the two speakers.

I have heard the reference system in a dedicated theater and the thx ultra2's. For movies the thx ultra's had a bigger impact and dynamics. The reference was better for music. It comes down to what you are buying for. If you are more interested in music than the reference is your system. If you want the best for movies, The THX ultra 2 system is the ticket. I have never heard the La scala's. For the people that think the La scala'a blow away the THX ultra 2's why? What is the difference that makes you think that way. Is it really worth the extra cost? Thanks

James

I think you would have to hear it for yourself as it would be very difficult to explain without a bonafide demo.

While the Ultra THX system is indeed awesome and gets lots of accolades you cannot compare it to a full blown Heritage based horn loaded system it would get annihilated in sheer clarity, output and dynamics even at extreme levels! Movies or music. The realism and accuracy are right off the scale from the shimmer of a brush on a cymbal, to the earth shaking blasts from the Avalanche scene on "XXX" it is all repoduced with startling authority that will make you jump out of your seat. I almost have to have seat belts installed on my couch!

If you ever venture into VT let me know, I would be happy to show you what I am talking about. Were talking 9 15" and 2 8" woofers in the same room here!

----------------

On 7/14/2005 8:53:32 AM JAMESJ wrote:

I have heard the reference system in a dedicated theater and the thx ultra2's. For movies the thx ultra's had a bigger impact and dynamics. The reference was better for music. It comes down to what you are buying for. If you are more interested in music than the reference is your system. If you want the best for movies, The THX ultra 2 system is the ticket...

----------------

My evaluation was comparing the THX system I heard at the pilgrimage to my HT. My Klipsch Reference system isn't your average reference system. 9.gif