Industrial Cornwalls vs. Cornscalas

trying to refresh my memory...

the cornscala is basically the cornwall with the HF of the lascala (which would also be the lascala with a cornwall low end).

How much does it cost to build the cornscala? I think the difference in sound would be such that the price difference comes into play...I wonder if the HF section of a cornwall couldn't be improved more by going another route (say beyma 25 tweeters or a different midrange driver). Heck, you could prob even find a better performing woofer than the K-33 as well.

Yes there are ways to further improve the Cornscala. When I built mine, the intention was to keep it a Klipsch speaker but improve the forever complaint of the poor mid horn of the Cornwall. Also with the design, the HF section has a removeable motorboard so that you could use a variety of mids and tweets.

The cost to build would be a minimum of $1100. However, if you took the drivers and XO out of you existing Cornwall, it would be about $250.

My set up was about $1600. All new drivers and ALK type B network made by Dean. This speaker walked all over my La scalas which I sold w/in 2 weeks of completion of the Cornscalas.

http://www.jwcullison.com/csclicktoconvert/index1.html

jc

".I wonder if the HF section of a cornwall couldn't be improved more by going another route (say beyma 25 tweeters or a different midrange driver)."

Not just the midrange driver, how about Altec 511 horns?

Yes, you could use the Altec horns. However, this would leave no room for the tweeter. Also, that horn is just too UGLY. Sorry to be a wuss.

Anyway, I designed the Cornscala to accomidate the Trachorn which may beat them all!

It would be easy to make the cabinet accomidate any HF you wanted. The tricky part is in the bass bin. You wouldn't want to change that because I think it is perfect. All you would have to do is get taller side panels to allow bigger horns or tweeters. Keep everything else essentially the same.

jc

Whoa - I never read the CS 2ch threads and have been doing so over the last hour. I got to spend more time here like I use too.......

I too have always liked the sound of the 400 horn over the 500 and 600, even with the crossoverpoints higher than 400, the 400 horn just has a bigger sound.

I have been thinking of replacing the bass section of my Heritage center. Looks like I have next winters project on deck and a lot of research before hand as I may try twin 12" instead of a single 15".

JM

The K-33 15inch woofer is a good woofer. I have given thought to the twin woofer but that might be tricky with current designed networks.

The CS thread in my opinion is the best way to get the "cornwall" sound w/o getting away from a PWK speaker.

jc