Khorn "Upgrade" without spending a dime

Seadog

Wow, what a difference! I moved my Khorns from the 12 ft wall to the 16 ft wall. I had been trying for six months to convince my wife that this would sound better without sacrificing the balance of the décor in the living room. She finally caved in (after all it is her living room) and even she noticed the improvement in the stereo imaging with the wider separation.

Aside from the narrow spacing, the previous arrangement was also creating some bad sound reflections that caused harshness in the mid range (I think from the angle of the vaulted ceiling reflecting back down into the listening area). The new arrangement has significantly reduced this effect.

This was a huge improvement with the only investment being a rainy afternoon spent moving furniture around 1.gif .

I plan to do the same. My problem is I have to completely remodel my basement. Mine are on the 14' wall of a 14x25 room. No choice for now. Eventually I'd like to have them about 25' apart. Really widens that sweet spot so you don't have to sit 8' away.

Guest Anonymous

Gary-

Do you plan to add a Belle Center for a 3 ch stereo? when you move to the 25' wall I have never heard this setup, but I guess its amazing...

Best,

George

Gary,

You really should hire me and Craig to remod your basement. Could you imagine the fun? You might have to get a few kegs of beer/week, just to keep us happy. I know you don't have a garage, but do you have a big lawn (or a soft living room carpet) for us to wrastle on?

----------------

On 5/31/2005 8:05:34 PM fini wrote:

Gary,

You really should hire me and Craig to remod your basement. Could you imagine the fun? You might have to get a few kegs of beer/week, just to keep us happy. I know you don't have a garage, but do you have a big lawn (or a soft living room carpet) for us to wrastle on?

----------------

Bring it on guys! You're hired!!!9.gif

BTW - Can you remodel the kitchen first for my wife? It's the only way she'll let me build a music room.15.gif She thinks SHE deserves a turn.6.gif

----------------

On 5/31/2005 7:01:55 PM Seadog wrote:

Wow, what a difference! I moved my Khorns from the 12 ft wall to the 16 ft wall.

----------------

You're not kidding about the improvement. I had the same experience moving my khorns from the 12' wall to the 20' wall. HUGE difference.

Enjoy!

Woo

Here is the layout which is all open space. I moved the Khorn in corner A to corner C. There is actually a stairway along part of the 25' run, so the longest straight wall in the layout is 16'. This seems like a minor change when looking at the layout, but it made a huge improvement.

khorn_layout.jpg

post-14182-13819266284596_thumb.jpg

I dont know what is on that 17' wall but from the plan that would have been my prime candidate.

That will give you something to discuss with the wife. Just when she thinks she has given you what you want...

----------------

On 6/1/2005 3:58:55 AM maxg wrote:

I dont know what is on that 17' wall but from the plan that would have been my prime candidate.

----------------

Probably stairs in the 17 - 25 corner.

Seadog, thanks for sharing the results of this move. I have recently begun setting up a listening room in the basement (only room I don't have to share with anyone else - read wife). I have them on the 12' wall right now, but plan to build a false corner to enable them on what will become a 16' wall. I was considering whether or not it would be worth it, but now I am going to proceed.

"Probably stairs in the 17 - 25 corner"

smuttynose,

That is correct. The 17' dimension is not really a wall, but a boundry of the area that also includes an opening for a hallway (I did'nt feel like drawing a stairway and the hallway).