Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, its Supergeek!

maxg

Just renewed my mobile phone connection agreement. Chose the Motorola Razr initially and had no end of problems (basically it wouldnt hold a signal). Got Motorola to agree to take it back and give me a new one - then went to Antonis (he sells mobiles as well as audio) and he agreed to trade it in against something else.

I looked at just about all the phones avaiable today and nothing from the major manufacturers got me overly excited. In the end I went for this:

Qteks100withStylusNavigon.jpg

http://www.qtek.ch/DescriptionQtekS100EN.htm

For those that cant be bothered to follow the link:

It is a phone, a 1.3 Mpixel camera, a video camera (Mpeg 4), MP3 player, video player and a full on organiser including (here anyway) pocket word and pocket excel, as well as the media player, internet explorer, outlook and about 100 other functions.

It also includes infrared and bluetooth comms.

If I can figure out how it all works this could be the best thing I ever bought - although I think the battery life using all of this is something around 14 minutes.

Oh yes - it takes SD cards apparently - which are about $90 for a gigabyte.

As an aside - I keep mentioning Antonis - as I buy just about everything from him - so as a bit of useless advertizing for him (like any of you are going to buy audio stuff from Greece) his site is www.stepcom.gr

I wonder if he will try to sell me an add on power cable for this too?

----------------

On 6/2/2005 11:31:37 AM wheelman wrote:

Wow that's alot of stuff it does. That would be great to get on the internet with a phone.

----------------

I am hoping it will replace my Sony Clie organiser, my phone, my digital camera and my digital video camera - if not all the time at least enough to allow me to travel about with just one item in my pocket most of the time.

As it has on board USB as well I might just be able to chuck my Jetflash thumb drive thing as well.

I wonder what the sound quality of MP3 is going to be?

The bad part of the internet on cells, it's SLOW.

My friends that have internet on their cells complain it's

way too slow and frustrating that they find they donts use it.

I am prouds to say i's donts have no cell phone!

All these warnings about microwaves going into our brains and

all this new stuff about people getting brain tumors is scary.

Theys need to make it safer technology.

Theys be sayin that people are actually paying to get tumors

and cancer, saw a two hour documentary on cells and cell towers.

Very scary of what these microwaves are causing to us health!!!

----------------

On 6/2/2005 11:37:17 AM maxg wrote:

----------------

On 6/2/2005 11:31:37 AM wheelman wrote:

Wow that's alot of stuff it does. That would be great to get on the internet with a phone.

----------------

I am hoping it will replace my Sony Clie organiser, my phone, my digital camera and my digital video camera - if not all the time at least enough to allow me to travel about with just one item in my pocket most of the time.

As it has on board USB as well I might just be able to chuck my Jetflash thumb drive thing as well.

I wonder what the sound quality of MP3 is going to be?

----------------

Hey Max, as I will be the one who ownes a Xtreme BB fully creamed this winter before you do. 11.gif , I have had this phone half a year before you did. 16.gif The only thing is, that on the pic it shows a GPS routeplanner. I don't have that! 7.gif Furthermore if you figured out how to upload the pics from this camera to a pc, please write me, because I have been too lazy to bother and figure it out. 9.gif Wasting too much time here. 10.gif The MP3 player has a weird ultrasmall output, so you can't plug regular quality miniheadphonejacks in and the headphones that come with it give you a terrible headache, they are worse than the HP delivered with the Ipod, which only give me a earache! 2.gif So let's see any smiley's left unused? 4.gif I have this special charger and it charges clean current, so the battery life is prolonged by 15% and the mp3 music sounds like a record 6.gif Sorry could not resist this childish prank. Beat wishes, Tim. 1.gif

Hey Max, as I will be the one who ownes a Xtreme BB fully creamed this winter before you do.

Well you have me at something of a disadvantage there - the eurospec xtreme is not ready so I am stymied.

I have had this phone half a year before you did. The only thing is, that on the pic it shows a GPS routeplanner. I don't have that!

I wont either - initially - so we are even - well give or take six months

Furthermore if you figured out how to upload the pics from this camera to a pc, please write me, because I have been too lazy to bother and figure it out. Wasting too much time here.

I was hoping the computer would see the unit as a disk drive so it should just be a case of dragging and dropping but we will have to see. I am also hoping the image format is JPEG - but PSP should be able to handle any alternatives.

The MP3 player has a weird ultrasmall output, so you can't plug regular quality miniheadphonejacks in and the headphones that come with it give you a terrible headache, they are worse than the HP delivered with the Ipod, which only give me a earache!

That is also disappointing - they must have used some standard of adapter so I will hunt for a converter to mini DIN so we can use normal headphones. Actually - I wonder if there are any stereo bluetooth headphones...

So let's see any smiley's left unused? I have this special charger and it charges clean current, so the battery life is prolonged by 15% and the mp3 music sounds like a record Sorry could not resist this childish prank. Beat wishes, Tim.

Thanks for that!

Klipsdude,

The speed over GPRS is not great - but over here, at least, it is acceptable. In the office I have a bluetooth adapter on my PC and I can use it as a gateway onto the network if I want to.

Of couse why I would want to when there is a perfectly good portable computer on my desk is another question - but I can and that is what counts with these things.

Actually I also have a bluetooth land line modem at home that would let me dial out at something around 56 kb - again no reason why I would want to...

I use an Audiovox XV6600

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=1640

It does a pretty good job. It is a better PDA than phone but with the Bluetooth headset, it works ok. My internet speed is about that of a DSL line at around 350bps when I am in a hi speed zone. I get unlimited internet access for $45 per month and the phone has become my wireless modem for my laptop and my home computer, though I can use the phone as a stand alone internet access point.

Moving pictures, if your PDA supports a memory card and a common format like JPG, when you take your pictures, have the camera store to the memory card. You only need a card reader for the computer to read it. If your PDA will Sync with your computer, you should be able to transfer pictures that way also.

Congrats Max, you will have lots of fun with it!

That is one hella sick phone, Max. I don't think they even have that in the States yet!! Asia and Europe...you guys get all the cool stuff (electronics, cars, food...). Have you tried the bluetooth capability yet? You'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

Personally, I'm just waiting for Verizon to come out with some cool phones. Sucks because they have the best service (at least in LA they do), but the shottiest phones. They don't even carry the Razr yet, and that thing is almost going to be outdated!

OK Tim,

I got the phone and have had a play. You can copy anything to anywhere on the PC with it.

Go to My Computer and towards the bottom you will see my mobile device. Click on it.

Dragging and dropping invokes the converter for any files that need it. Works fine with excel files and it does something to MP3 but I am not sure what. I copied one MP3 over (256 kb) and it plays back fine on the headphones provided. I cant do more yet - as I have not picked up an SD card.

I noticed the file playback was a bit jerky at first - but then it settled down and has since played fine. I wonder if we have a processor that is a bit on the slow side....

Oherwise so far so good. Everything working - not tried the internet direct - but the mail sync is cool and the avantego work a charm. Being a USB 2 device is definitely a boon.

----------------

On 6/2/2005 1:27:48 PM maxg wrote:

Hey Max, as I will be the one who ownes a Xtreme BB fully creamed this winter before you do.

Well you have me at something of a disadvantage there - the eurospec xtreme is not ready so I am stymied.

Hello! I'm in the Netherlands, even after we voted against the constitution The Nl are still in Europe. And what do you mean it's not ready? Furthermore I don't know what stymied means!

I have had this phone half a year before you did. The only thing is, that on the pic it shows a GPS routeplanner. I don't have that!

I wont either - initially - so we are even - well give or take six months

Furthermore if you figured out how to upload the pics from this camera to a pc, please write me, because I have been too lazy to bother and figure it out. Wasting too much time here.

I was hoping the computer would see the unit as a disk drive so it should just be a case of dragging and dropping but we will have to see. I am also hoping the image format is JPEG - but PSP should be able to handle any alternatives.

The MP3 player has a weird ultrasmall output, so you can't plug regular quality miniheadphonejacks in and the headphones that come with it give you a terrible headache, they are worse than the HP delivered with the Ipod, which only give me a earache!

That is also disappointing - they must have used some standard of adapter so I will hunt for a converter to mini DIN so we can use normal headphones. Actually - I wonder if there are any stereo bluetooth headphones...

No stereo Bluetooth in existance. Actually that was the first question I asked the salesman. He had never heard that questions before. Yours on this forum is probablty the second time in this universe.

So let's see any smiley's left unused? I have this special charger and it charges clean current, so the battery life is prolonged by 15% and the mp3 music sounds like a record Sorry could not resist this childish prank. Beat wishes, Tim.

Thanks for that!
-I meant of course 'Best wishes'---------------

9.gif Tim.

ps: I went on the internet and sent and received some emails, works great!

That's odd - I was sure I had replied to this one???

Losing my mind - or my posts - anyway.

Yes - sorry Timm - I know you are in Europe when my brain is in gear - but the rest of the time I tend to assume however I am talking to is in the US.

So you are getting one of MArk's pre's huh - cool. One day I will get one myself.

As for the Qtek - wow - up last night till 3 am reading the manual and spent hours playing with all the functions today. Everything works! I cannot believe it - this is a Microsoft based product! It hasnt even crashed yet - though I noticed the little reset button - that is ominous! I picked up a 512 Mb card - put 4 albums and a movie (3 minutes - pop video really - Bob the builder - Daughter's favorite) and a bunch of work stuff on it.

All without a hitch. It appears to be recoding all the MP3's too 192 Kb/s. I cant imagine it makes much difference over these headphones - and it is probably smart in the light of the limited storage.

Camera is really only for use outside - it goes very grainy in poor light. Video is better - 240*320 @ 20 or 30 fps is very reasonable for a device like this.

All in all - I am knocked out by it.

----------------

On 6/4/2005 3:35:14 PM maxg wrote:

That's odd - I was sure I had replied to this one???

Losing my mind - or my posts - anyway.

Yes - sorry Timm - I know you are in Europe when my brain is in gear - but the rest of the time I tend to assume however I am talking to is in the US.

So you are getting one of MArk's pre's huh - cool. One day I will get one myself.

Well, it is my hope to be able to get one this coming winter. And no apologies needed, I lose my mind on a daily basis.