Dedicated pre/pro or receiver?

BobbyT

What is everyone's opinion on using a receiver as a pre/pro opposed to a dedicated unit? I'm a little leary of spending the money on something like a B&K with format changes around the corner. Would a mid level receiver with good processing and a decent pre amp section be good to use. Or maybe something like the new Outlaw 990?

For those that have helped me out on decisions on my upcoming purchase I have just enough money to add a pre/pro if I put my car on hold for a few months, which I'm doing.

Hi, I don't see any reason why not. Is this strictly for HT? Isn't the amp section on this unit any good, or are you looking at or have better, more powerful amps?

I'm looking for more power for my rears. Have 35w now, but would like something in the 100w range to equal the front stage. I do have an older 2-ch integrated with a 75w amp and pre-outs/ins that might serve well, so I'm going to try that soon.

The Pre/Pro will sound superior to the receiver, the surround steering is more precise. Obviously you have not looked into Pre/Pro's because you would know that most if not all are software upgradeable via an RS232 port. I have so many formats to choose from its unreal, in addition I can upramp 5.1 DVD soundtracks to 7.1 with the press of a button.

I used two receivers as Pre/Pro's prior to getting a dedicated one a Denon AVR-3300 and a AVR-4800. I had a B&K Ref 50 for about two weeks but returned it because I did not like the clicking relays and difficult setup menus' B&K has gon over the Ref 50 since and they now have the S2 model which probably corrected some of the issues.

Is the difference worth the cost, hard to say but it was to me.

I would say go for the Outlaw 990. It's meant to be quite a bit better than the 950, and its feature set is very impressive. There is a trial period of 30 days I think, so if you don't like it, you can always return it.

I've been thinking about the 990 as it is priced the same as the Denon 3805 I was looking at as a pre/pro. And I'm not using Denon link or firewire. I can swing the money for a B&K Ref 50 but something in the back of my mind keeps shouting to wait. My thinking is to upgrade to a Ref 50 replacement when the next round of formats are established because they will probably require new dsp chipsets and possibly different connections. With the 990 having xlr outputs it could easily be mated with a nice pro amp and a pair of speakers down the road for a good 2 channel setup. Possibly a venture into heritage stuff. Does this sound like a good long term path? Does anyone have a different idea to think over. I'm ordering the RF7s, RC7, and B&K amp next weekend. My dealer says 4 to 6 weeks on Black RFs which is fine since I won't have the tme to set them up until then anyway.

And yes this is my first venture into separates. that's why I'm asking questions of those more experienced in this area before I spend any money.