Junk old crossover??

Coytee

I admit to being tempted into Al's extreme networks for my Khorns.

When Mr. Budget & I get on better footing and I do this, what do you do with the old ones?

* Junk them?

* Keep them for "stock purposes" in case you ever sell?

* Keem them INSIDE the Khorn so it's stored, out of the way? (IOW, can both sets be MOUNTED (not connected) inside the speaker, or must one be removed (as a matter of fact) because of space considerations?

I can't imagine they'd be good use for much of anything once they become a second pair??

Coytee,

One question about your original crossovers. Which are they and year of manufacture? That would determine whether they would be in need of recapping to return to factory spec.

My advice would be to hang on to them in any case. Your thought about future sale is a good point. The idea would be to sell the Khorns with original crossovers and do something else with your ALKs.

You would indeed be able to store the spare pair in the HF tophat. Each xover would sit on one side of the HF. The exception to that would be if you acquire Al's ES xovers, which would take up the available space. Al's Type A replacements would work just fine to share the space.

Memory tells me I have the AK3 ??

They SOUND just fine & dandy to me, but then again, so did my LaScalas (after a 5 year storage) last summer when we pulled them out for a party.

The LaScalas are AA's and are 25 years old and sounded "fantastic" so what do my ears know?

( might subtly add that I used Yamaha SS for said 25 years and NEVER heard tubes, so I don't think anyone would accuse me of being an accoustic connesouir)

Perhaps I should just put all new drivers in??? I'd bet I could put some of those Bose cubes behind the grills and no one would ever know???

11.gif

AK-3's would be fine. On the AA's, it is likely that those caps have drifted off spec. It can be surprising to hear how good they sound with fresh caps.

My best advice, go ahead and jump into Al K's ES crossovers.... send the AK-3's to me.

----------------

On 6/3/2005 8:19:09 PM Klewless wrote:

I think he might also be saying they "ain't" so bad either.

I have the dreaded AK-2 in my Khorns and for the life of me can't find anything to gripe about with them.

----------------

Klewless, I recommend you listen to a pair of Khorns, or Cornwalls (based on my experience) with some proper crossovers like (ALK's) or something from Dean (who I have an order pending with).

Trust me, you will know what the difference is. My stock AK3's are crap compared to my ALK'd Cornwalls. And I do mean caca.