So can I run a 25' optical cable or not?

kenratboy

Yes, it will. Think fiber optics, that is what it is...

I do not see any problem at all for 25 feet.

Just a quick story, my cable guy hooked up what he thought was Dolby Digital 5.1 when I upgraded a year or so ago to the HDTV box for the HDTV I bought.

I knew to buy the Optical Fiber Cable out to the stage one.. He thought the left and right RCA jacks would do it.. (It doesn't, as we all know.)

I asked why don't you guys install it with the digital fiber optic cables when you do this? He swore it was 5.1. I said, "Can I show you something...??" To which he said look, "I have been installing this for over a year, I know how too.... I said, "OK....Paused.. Will take me maybe all of 2 min I really think you should hear this?" He said, "OK... Show me"!

I ran the same trailor we have all seen on THX, the little guy etc., etc...His way./... Then mine..

To see his jaw drop and go OMG your soo right..... I will tell my supervisor when I get back. I got a call from his supervisor he asked how I knew all this and I said look it up on the web etc etc and where... And, try it yourself. Appearantly they didn't know it. They thought, because in HDTV if it said 5.1 dolby digital, then somehow the Picture signal was talking to the Audio One. LOL

I wasn't a smart aleck about it, and get this... They gave me 1 free month of service which was really cool and said thanks. BTW, I use the Optical cable from the HDTV box to my Aragon Stage One too. FYI.

Optical cable out RULES!!

Yes, the optical is good out to 100m or more - it depends on the strength of the LED (transmitter) and the photodiode receiver. Just be sure you don't pinch the cable, try for gentle bends for any curves - try for about 10 times the outside diameter of the cable at any curve when you install it. Also, check the package for directions - often they will have recommendations like 20 times the OD for installation and 10x OD installed. They may also have maximum tension both static and dynamic - and you can actually stretch the fiber.

Paul

certified fiber optic installer1.gif

I seriously doubt if the typical consumer audio equipment can transmit 100m on an optical cable. Computer stuff is something else. The chipsets used in consumer audio are not up to it. Last time I checked, which was a couple of years ago, the manufacturers were specing them at something like 15 to 25 feet. I am sure things may have changed a bit since then, but not by an order of magnitude.

----------------

On 6/5/2005 1:17:30 PM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

Yes, it will. Think fiber optics, that is what it is...

I do not see any problem at all for 25 feet.

Just a quick story, my cable guy hooked up what he thought was Dolby Digital 5.1 when I upgraded a year or so ago to the HDTV box for the HDTV I bought.

I knew to buy the Optical Fiber Cable out to the stage one.. He thought the left and right RCA jacks would do it.. (It doesn't, as we all know.)

I asked why don't you guys install it with the digital fiber optic cables when you do this? He swore it was 5.1. I said, "Can I show you something...??" To which he said look, "I have been installing this for over a year, I know how too.... I said, "OK....Paused.. Will take me maybe all of 2 min I really think you should hear this?" He said, "OK... Show me"!

I ran the same trailor we have all seen on THX, the little guy etc., etc...His way./... Then mine..

To see his jaw drop and go OMG your soo right..... I will tell my supervisor when I get back. I got a call from his supervisor he asked how I knew all this and I said look it up on the web etc etc and where... And, try it yourself. Appearantly they didn't know it. They thought, because in HDTV if it said 5.1 dolby digital, then somehow the Picture signal was talking to the Audio One. LOL

I wasn't a smart aleck about it, and get this... They gave me 1 free month of service which was really cool and said thanks. BTW, I use the Optical cable from the HDTV box to my Aragon Stage One too. FYI.

Optical cable out RULES!!

----------------

It's a sad testament to the ignorance amongst satellite and cable installers. One more reason why you should never, ever, ever pay for installation from Best Buy, because they contract everything to local sattelite guys. They can run wires, for sure, but they have no clue how to set up and configure your system. I had more jobs during the brief time I worked for BB's Lynchburg contractor where I was sent in merely to fix what someone else had screwed up than I actually had raw installations...