Cornwalls replace the Forte 1s!

Good greif Wayne turn those thigns down, looking at your first new pic you almost split your audio rack right down the center!!! HMMM....Maybe that will help with channel separation.9.gif Anyway congrat on the CW's enjoy.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember he had FORTE 1 speakers before the CORNWALLS. I would love to hear a good AB comparison between the newer FORTE 2 vs. the best year CORNWALL. Both amplified with the excellent and powerful bass gripping B&K Pre and Main Amp. No sissy amps here!3.gif

----------------

On 6/7/2005 1:32:57 PM aviserated wrote:

........I would love to hear a good AB comparison between the newer FORTE 2 vs. the best year CORNWALL. Both amplified with the excellent and powerful bass gripping B&K Pre and Main Amp. No sissy amps here!..

----------------

OK. Send me your amps. It might take me a while.

Here is one of my old Forte IIs with it's new big bro Cornwall II (1986 - don't know if that was a good year or not) that I just brought back from Denver.

ForteCorn.jpg

And here is the set up of the new Cornwalls. Cal, how far are yours separated? Mine are only about nine feet apart but sound great in the room.

livingroom3.jpg

----------------

On 6/6/2005 6:47:45 PM sputnik wrote:

I just replaced a pair of Forte IIs with Cornwall IIs that Rick Thumpelstiltskin pointed out in the forum. I noticed a much fuller bass right off and only found one CD (Bob Marley Legend) so far where some of the lowest bass caught by the Fortes was missed by the Cornwalls. In all of the other comarisons so far, the bass is just way stronger with the Cornwalls. I haven't noticed any annoying highs yet. In fact, on the part of DSOTM ("Time") where all the bells and chimes ring, the effect is not nearly as ear splitting on the Cornwalls as it was on the Fortes (but still very realistic) and the bass effect that immediatly follows the bells is much more powerful on the Cornwalls than it was on the Fortes. With most deep bass, where the Fortes would pleasingly shake the room, the Cornwalls fill it. I have more to add. If it's alright, I'd like to join in here to compare notes with Cal some more since we just did the same upgrade.

----------------

You have a nice system, but I think you would like the nicer looking B&K system a little better IMO.

Have you experimented with different speaker locations, CORNers and WALLS. Wouldn't your CORNWALLS sound better if placed closer to the corners.

----------------

On 6/7/2005 3:07:53 PM aviserated wrote:

You have a nice system, but I think you would like the nicer looking B&K system a little better IMO.

Have you experimented with different speaker locations, CORNers and WALLS. Wouldn't your CORNWALLS sound better if placed closer to the corners.

----------------

I'm on the prowl for new amps. I havn't tried the corners yet - it would mean rearranging the room to give em a clear shot into the room.

Sputnik;

NICE lookin room! Alas, I am in what used to be a bedroom 11'x12'. My Corns are on the 11' wall and against the side walls so to answer you, 11' outside to outside. The room also houses 5 bookshelfs, 2 desks, printer stand equipment rack odds and ends and whatever the wife wants to hide from company so it gets to be the junk room also. I clean it up from time to time but it seems that nature loves a vacuum and it is junked up again nearly instantly.

But it is MY room and I can go in there anytime I want and close the door and crank the music to whatever level I want. Mostly it is in the 80 to 90db base with peaks to 95 db. The tubes do warm it up a bit but the fan keeps things cooler.

Now that I have some space around the corns and they are not choked in, everything you noitced, I noticed as well. The change from Forte 1s to Cornwall 2s was larger than I would have guessed. I am glad I spent the money. The wife wanted to fly to her mothers house for a couple of weeks and my speakers only cost a little more than her plane ticketts. She will be home in 2 weeks but I will have the corns forever!

I have currently in my home

1 pair '86 cornwalls

1 pair Forte 1s

1 pair Heresy 1s

1 pair Heresy 2s

1 pair Quintetts

1 La Scalla pro top HF section

1 GMX 5.1 suround system.

All of these were bought in the last year and the total for everything was $2135, so not bad at all9.gif9.gif

Congrats on some awesome loudspeakers! The further away from the front and side walls and the closer to pointing directly at your ears or the back of you head (personal preference) the better the soundstage width, depth and 3D sonic image will be

10.gif

Colin,

I read a previous post of yours about placement, and tried to follow your advice. The sweet(est) spot is just as you described. I think that you even suggested that the optimum perpindicular distance away from the speakers is 1.5x the speaker separation - that works out right here and they still sound great wherever you sit.

Cal,

I measured from the centers, so we have about the same separation distance. We worked out the personal space issue a bit differently here, my wife has HER OWN sewing room to retreat to so when I play music too loud, I have the rest of the house to myself 9.gif

I did some more moving around the room while they were playing and found the Sweet Spot for sure! The speakers are aimed just behind my head and the seat is just left of center by about 5 inches and about 6 feet back from the speakers. For some reason, the right side of the room is just a tad louder than the left. This has been true for several different amps and speaker combos. I don't know why but it is true none the less.

I knew I found the right spot when the stereo image fell dead center between my ears and I was in THE MIDDLE of the sound, yes it was just as strong behind me as it was infront. The sound swimming and swooping around me. Eyes closed I was in with the instruments, part of the sound. I have had good imaging with the Fortes but never like this! I played LP after LP and before I knew it, it was way past my bedtime6.gif so I am a bit tired this morning but I think the trade off of last night and this morning was worth it!

Cal- sounds like you're in LOVE with Klipsch all over again, ain't it grand!

Great job on taking the suggestion for toeing them in, the horns are rather wide dispersion, so you've got to keep the early reflections off the side walls to keep from blurring the sound stage. SOunds like you did that just fine. Your descriptions of the Cornwall sound add to the lore of these Mighty Giants!

SPUTNIK! What a fabulous room!!! THose Corns look right at home at its very clean and uncluttered looking. Love the red chairs and beige grilles- is that an original Klipsch fabric or ??? BEAUTIFUL MAN!

Keep Slammin guys

Michael

Michael,

I've got to thank you. Your input help push me over when I was thinking about getting these. Yes, the cane fabric is original and virtually pristine as are the speakers. The red chairs. Good eye, those ARE great. They are very comfy leather chairs my wife ordered from Pottery Barn. What makes them great is that when speakers put out seismic bass, the seats and backs of the chairs resonate like a massage chair. You can get a "Sensearound" effect. Remember that from movie theaters? The best way to experience it is by playing "Nazereth Speedway" from the "Sailing to Philadephia" CD by Mark Knofler really loud. It truly feels like you in a fast moving indy car if you close your eyes (well, at least as close as you can probably get in your livingroom).

Cal,

Have you seen the frequency response curves for the Cornwall and the Forte. I think it was Colin that posted them a while ago. The curves generally show the differences that I'm hearing - it's pretty interesting. I asked for some good music to test out the speakers in another thread a few weeks ago. One of the best suggestions was "When Hell Freezes Over" by the Eagles. There were alot of good suggestions there to make your speakers dance. I picked up alot of good music that should've already owned.

----------------

On 6/8/2005 9:53:44 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

Cal- sounds like you're in LOVE with Klipsch all over again, ain't it grand!

Keep Slammin guys

Michael

----------------

CP

Michael, you are so right. When I bought the Fortes I was high for about 2 weeks, the corns are a few clicks higher up the ladder for sure 2.gif

The wildest thing happened last night, I was playing a mono recording of Tennessee Ernie Ford in Stereo (I can switch to mono mode if I want to) and the source of the sound was directly in front of me, no hint of it coming from the speakers, I looked directly at the speakers and the image said "no dummy, nothing from there, I am here in front of you!" I knew in my head the source was the speakers but the image was so strong, my mind said no way it is in front of you. This is the first time I could LOOK at the speakers and not hear anything from that location. WEARD!

I'll throw the "Hotel California" LP on the table and listen to "Hotel California" tonight. I do have the DVD-A of the album and could play the same cuts on the redbook player, but I like LPs better, sortof. If the LP is in good shape then yes. If it is beat to heck then NAH.9.gif I have the origional release of the LP, purchased when it was new2.gif

It is good to have someone who has made the same trip as I have through the Klipsch speakers. Something in common1.gif1.gif

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The wildest thing happened last night, I was playing a mono recording of Tennessee Ernie Ford in Stereo (I can switch to mono mode if I want to) and the source of the sound was directly in front of me, no hint of it coming from the speakers, I looked directly at the speakers and the image said "no dummy, nothing from there, I am here in front of you!" I knew in my head the source was the speakers but the image was so strong, my mind said no way it is in front of you. This is the first time I could LOOK at the speakers and not hear anything from that location. WEARD!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All Klipsch speakers are this way. Every Klipsch speaker I have ever had and including the RF-7 that I'm using now, all present thy self in front and no's hint from the speaker, that's what is so great about Klipsch speakers Dude! It becomes like totally transparent! Word up, YEA BABY! 3.gif

Wait ...

i'd better check my music room !!!

oh, yer off the hook, Sput's ..

those Could be my Cornwalls ...

but mine are still there ....

suppose the Drive from Montana to NY ...kida takes you off the "suspect list"...

if mine are ever missin'

nothin like OO & Cane ....2.gif