Coldplay "X&Y" -

meuge

My friends and I have been Coldplay fans long before they had the arrogance and the idiocy to put all North American tour dates on sale at the same time, on the same day. I went to see them when they were such an unknown that buying tickets a month after they went on sale only meant that you couldn't get 8 together, as opposed to their North American tour selling out in 23 minutes last Saturday. And they were great. They were humble and happy to play. They loved their music and they were delighted to play for a fairly large audience here in New York.

That concert was one of the best I have ever seen and it made me a firm Coldplay fan. I've searched out the rare tracks, and I got video recordings of their performances that are not supposed to exist.

Enter June 7th 2005. I avoided listening to the bootleg copies of the album before it was released, knowing that it would ruin the surprise and I would not get to hear the clean acoustic Coldplay tracks as they were meant to be heard - uncompressed. I picked up the album in the afternoon, and got my friends together for a listen. By 8:30 we were fed, and were ready for beers and Coldplay.

Imagine my surprise!

Now before I go on, I will warn you that I have not given this album a chance. No chance at all. So forgive my rash judgements.

First thing that struck me was the horrendous mastering. The tracks clip. ALL of them, except for the one acoustic track on the album. The album was meant to be listened to on the iPod... or maybe the Bose SoundDock... but certainly not $5k+ worth of equipment. Just like the album from Keane the new Coldplay album wants to be the loudest thing in your playlist... at any cost.

Now I won't talk about the actual sound of the band much, simply because like I've said, I haven't given it a chance. Perhaps they're in their "Kid A" experimentation period and I simply need more time to understand it. Suffice it to say that the pristine cleanliness of old Coldplay is gone.

Third - the lyrics. Don't get me started on the lyrics. Martin has given up on abstraction and just decided that being famous makes his talent better. The lyrics are so bad, it is sad at times. Here are some examples of this genius, I kid you not:

You cut me down a tree

And brought it back to me

And that's what made me see

or

And I could write a song

A hundred miles long

Well, that's where I belong

While lyrics on Parachutes and Rush Of Blood To The Head are abstract and often make no sense, they sound quite cool, and some sound downright thoughtful... a quality that is decidedly missing from "X & Y".

So in conclusion, I am left with a sour feeling, and $500 (probably about $1500-2000 on the black market) worth of Madison Sq. Garden Coldplay tickets. I think we're still going to go see them, so I am not selling those tickets yet... but I this has certainly a disappointment that has been three years in the making. I guess I am not surprised, though. Hey, at least I got the CD for $10 right?

Rush of Blood to the Head on vinyl does not sound very good either. I like the songs but the recording is very average. On the new album, I've only heard the song they play all the time and I think it's pretty ho hum, sounds like 3 or 4 of their other songs only not as good. I think Gwyneth has sucked the live of Chris Martin.

• Moderators

Where have ya been m00n? 2.gif

Yellow was their breakthrough hit a few years ago. I believe they won a grammy or two. Clocks, The Scientist and In My Place were very popular from their second album. Listen to snippets from amazon.com if you got a minute. I'm sure you'll recognize them.

Now I hear that the EMI put a virus on the album that permanently screws up digital audio playback/copying/ripping on the computer. I will have to figure out if it's true or not. If it is indeed so, Coldplay has seen the last of my money.

----------------

On 6/8/2005 4:26:16 PM Amy Unger wrote:

I would *think* that would be very illegal to do. If you own the CD, isn't it ok to put it on your computer and make copies for yourself?

----------------

Unfortunately it's been done. Just google for "Dave Matthews" and "copy protection" and you'll see that this isn't the only time this has been done.

As for owning and ripping, it seems to be a gray area. Most record companies stipulate that you're not allowed to do it. It is, however, not illegal, despite the attempts of the record companies to change the laws.

However, in this uncertainty, they're allowed to do whatever they please with the CDs, including installing harmful software... they bought enough politicians to ensure those rights.

Eugene, I agree with you on some respects regarding the lyrics. Also, Coldplay has been bashed for this new album because they do more of the same, as opposed to venturing out and experimenting. I think you likened it to Radiohead's "Kid A." I don't understand the comparison, because this album is in no way an experimental album for Chris Martin and company. Not from Rush of Blood to the Head to X&Y, and certainly not like OK Computer to Kid A, or Amnesiac back to Hail to the Thief.

I also am confused when you say the album clips. I'm listening to it right now on vinyl, and the dynamic range is quite superb. Granted, I'm listening to it on vinyl as opposed to that nasty digital format we call CD - as well as on quite an expensive system - but I'm not sure if it would be any different if I played this on my bedroom system.

I too was a fan of them way, way before they became mainstream giants. And I also despise how so many concert ticket sales work nowadays. How professional scalping companies are able to swoop in and purchase hundreds of tickets before the sale even officially begins. But...such is the nature of the business.

Whatever the case, I think this album is quite good. No, make that damn f__king good. I'm mostly a fan of harder rock, metal, and punk, but Coldplay is one band that will always have my support. X&Y is a fantastic album, and it is - in my opinion - a sonically superb recording in the highest standard of fidelity.

I liked their last album but I almost never listen to it anymore. Their music can be good, but I have to be in the right mood. Their good stuff is quick hit music for me, in that I like it the first time I hear it but it wears not so well. There is music that you hear and your not so sure but over time you listen to it over and over. Then there is music you like right away and listen to over and over. Coldplay is not that band for me. A close friend brought my wife and I tickets to see them in August. I will enjoy the company probably more than the music.

----------------

On 6/8/2005 11:13:25 PM jacksonbart wrote:

Then there is music you like right away and listen to over and over.

----------------

Yeah, Muse is that band for me.

----------------

A close friend brought my wife and I tickets to see them in August. I will enjoy the company probably more than the music.

----------------

If you were in LA, I have a bunch of friends who would be willing to pay you $500 per ticket.

"If you were in LA, I have a bunch of friends who would be willing to pay you $500 per ticket."

Oh Sh!t, don't scare me. I have not paid for these yet, have no idea what they are going for.

Two years ago my college roommate invited me and wife to see the Eagles at the MCI Center. The tickets were worth it to see him and his wife, but at $350 apiece it was a bit expensive for a band I was not crazy for.

To meuge:

No the cd can be ripped and loaded onto a ipod.

It can be copied to another cd no problem.

And yes the songs are loud and what seems to me overly bright. i.e. song X&Y - you can hear the song is like listening to a dog whistle. You can hear a high pitch. Sorta like a TV being on in a quiet room.

Is it me or does the song "A Message" sound like it could have come from a Beatle's album?

But I do like the songs:

Square One

White Shadows

Fix You

The CD was worth the 10 dollars but one thing I hate is the downloadable bonus track (Crests of Waves) that forces you to download and put Napsters on your computer....

Also it is recorded in WMA not MP3 which is annoying for the ipoders out there. Also it doesn't even work with my winamp.