A nice headphone setup for an ipod

jfmacken

For those of you klipsch people that own an Ipod, what kind of portable headphones would you recommend to give the best sound performance for a modest price? The generic headsets sound like crap and sound like the bottom 4 octaves are cut out. I've heard sennheiser headphones before (hd600's i think) and they sounded great on a home setup, but you probably wouldn't want to take something that nice out for a jog. Any ideas?

Paul:

"(they don't know much about speakers, on the other hand)."

Do you know this for a fact? I've met a number of people who know quite a bit about both, and I'm familiar with the site you suggested. I'm just curious about whether this statement is a known and documented fact, or simply your opinion.

Erik

You're practicing some illogic here: "I've met a number of people who know quite a bit about both, and I'm familiar with the site you suggested."

You are making a statement A, followed by a statement B, and implying that they are related.

Grado SR-60's are STILL the best bang for your buck in the headphone world.

http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/all-headphones/grado-sr-60.php

If you can spring for maybe 50 more bucks after shipping, get this baby, smooth as butter with bass that will shame any speaker.

http://www.audiocubes.com/product/Audio-Technica_ATH-A500_Art_Headphone.html

-Joe

Paul:

"You're practicing some illogic here:"

Yes, I try to get some 'illogic practice' in when I can. Nah....not at all. The point is elementary -- and this: That some people will prefer headphones to loudspeakers (or the opposite of that) does not necessarily mean that they may not know very much about the less frequently used approach. I've talked- with and met people who know tons more than I do, and a seemingly equal amount, about BOTH -- even though they may in fact have a preference for one or the other.

Erik

edit: If your point is rather that the site specializes in headphones, that is something different. You merely said that they don't know much about loudspeakers. To me, that is a difficult judgement to make.

I use two types primarily, Sharp HP-MD33S and Sony MDR-EX71SL, both sound great with my portables, the Sharp has slightly better detail and clearer treble, the Sony a warmer midrange and more solid bass, depending on mood I use one or the other...both are less than $50 a no brainer at that price IMHO...if you do not like in the ear phones I think the senn PX-100 is a great sounding over the ear phone for portables. my grados (SR-80s), while they sound great with portables, are useless outside the house not wearable on the move...tony

You can read much more informed headphone advice over there (they don't know much about speakers, on the other hand).

Depends on who the "they" is.I have a fair amount of speaker related knowledge and am also a moderator at Head-Fi 2.gif

Easy to drive straight out of any headphone jack and great bang for the buck is the Alessandro MS-1 retailing for $99.

This headphone is made by Grado.They are voiced a tad different but still have the Grado dynamics and slam.

Excect for when I want to go ultralight my portable headphone of choice.

Ultralight I use Sennheiser MX-400 earbuds which are not as crystal clear,dynamic or sensitive as the Alessandro's but nice enough for what they are-cheap and light ear speakers.

Oh yeah : 1976 Heresy's driven by a DIY 300B SET Amp combined with a DIY dual 15 ported sub.i think that may let me into the Speaker Club 9.gif

A guy I work with went thru every conceivable portable/in ear headphone. Within a reasonable range. He kept buying and returning until he finally wound up with the Etymotic ER6I.

After he did all the work I bought a pair. The are great. Crystal clear. Block outside sound very well. They do have bass but not like the big phones.

You have to be OK with in the ear canal however. I really think they are comfortable. Some people don't.

They are about $129.00 or so. Maybe cheaper on EBay (new).

The ear buds are not even close. They now sound like junk to me. All of them.

If you want more detail there are better but the next level is the Etymotic ER4p or ER4s at about $250.00. After that there is a huge jump to $500. (Shure) and then there is one pair for appx. $1000 for which they take a mold of your ear.

I for one can't sit on a bus with big headphones on. I like a low profile.

the ety's like the Shure's have incredible sound but some find a earspeaker that has a total seal both uncomfotable and /dangerous.The beaty of an open can like the Grados is you can hear ambient noise while listening to music even at high volumes.The downside is everyone else can hear you jams.

with a closed can or tight seal you are sometimes too isolated from the world and a situation where you need to hear someone say "lookout" you will be oblivious to and just be bopping along until something unexpected and bad happens.

I personally can not insert anything in my ear that requires a tight seal.I am just not comfortable though many are.The sennheiser MX series are what they are.A cheap and highly portable low profile solution to music on the go.

just like with speakers this is a personal choice thing and auditioning is the best way to choose with known music