What is the very best 56k modem?

wheelman

I am wondering what the very best modems are for diul up. I hear U.S. robotics are ( not the cheap soft modems). Alot of them don't use the v.44 compression. I see alot do that are software modems that are complete junk. It's so hard to find a controller based, hardware modem. They are so vague about it. I read somewhere that even to watch out for hardware modems. Some don't actually use their own controller. I have know Idea thats why I ask.

Wheel,

Yes U.S. Robotics is good. May I suggest though-that you look into getting an Eathernet card installed instead, and switch over to DSL or even broadband (if avaliable)..........the cost for Verizon DSL is only 29.95 a month.......Just an

Idea. Good Luck to you.

EDIT:

Wheel, Where are you living?.......

• 3 weeks later...

Well had a performance pro U.S. robotics modem installed. I was getting a better reading, but pages and pictures seemed to have a major pause with them. So I went back to my old modem which is an encore modem. It's hardware based, but not a controller based one like robotics. If anyone is still on diul up you cannot beat an encore hardware based modem for ten dollars. I jumped in there and swapped it out myself. I felt pretty good about that. I know it's nothing , but I am getting my feet wet at least. I didn't zap my motherboard. That's a good thing I got carpet everywhere. Just put my hand on the case to ground myself not to hurt the motherboard.

• 2 weeks later...

----------------

On 7/9/2005 8:50:48 PM Klipschfoot wrote:

1600 posts with a dial-up modem? THAT's loyalty!

----------------

Yep I have no choice untill verizon gives in and gives us dsl. I don't think cable will be coming down this road. That would be great if they did. Actually this is one of the few forums that runs pretty descent with dial up. Others really drag that I have been on.

----------------

On 7/9/2005 11:44:52 PM Jay481985 wrote:

are you in the cellphone internet range? the 3G are quite fast

----------------

Do you mean something like netzero hispeed 3g? My internet provider offers free accelerated internet. It just remembers pages in a cashe, and then compresses the image which defeats the purpose I like the net for. I like to look at pictures in their best quality. So I just deleted that download. Plus netzero doesn't have a local number that is v.92 capable for me. Nothing beating what I already have unless it's real high speed. Something that will download streaming media faster.

100 meters huh....

if u can find a neighbor thats willing to slit the conction with u...

u can eitehr bull a cable or setup a wireless interenet and it'll prob reach

maybe u'll have to use an amplifier though

satellitle internet service is about $40 a month (i think) and its about the same speed of dsl or a lil slower

and about the 56k modems

what i meant is they will all work more or less at the same speed.

of course if u have less cpu utilization it'll be beter but I'm sure its not significant

----------------

On 7/13/2005 2:05:32 PM lb19984 wrote:

and about the 56k modems

what i meant is they will all work more or less at the same speed.

of course if u have less cpu utilization it'll be beter but I'm sure its not significant

----------------

And winmodems only work in Windows, rendering them completely useless for some people. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

In my area, (Michigan), DSL is only 14.95 a month through SBC Yahoo. Not a promotional rate either. Rate is guaranteed for a full year. In my area, there is no excuse to still be on dial up. I was paying 16.95 for dial up until about 6 months ago.

I will never go back...

I used a US Robotics v92 modem prior to that, and never had any trouble with it...

• 4 months later...

what in the hell is wrong with people that insist on replying to questions asked in ANY forum, LOOK here is the question "What is the very best 56k modem?" all you over/under educated azz munches need not post your "dsl cost only 15 dollars a month dude, why bother with a 56k modem". WELL i am one of those few people left in this world who like the person asking What is the very best 56k modem? CANNOT GET high speed internet at home, i play online games and the whole satellite thing is out of the question. it just is, there is a reason for it but i really don't feel like explaining it since this threads question was, What is the very best 56k modem? , not why is a satellite modem not good for gaming. good gravy!!!

STOP ANSWERING FORUMS OF ANY KIND UNLESS YOU HAVE A ANSWER TO THE QUESTION ASKED!!!

ME? i have not got the answer either but I AM looking for the answer to the very question asked, even if its just a fraction better/faster/more consistent, i want the very best 56k modem i can get.... anyone got some SOLID ADVICE?

oh and hell no all 56k modems are the same, STFU if you don't know something about whats being asked. you must be one of those gotta talk to hear them self talk people.

anyway , this thread will make some people say hell yeah and others say what a azz, but its got teeth, if you just want to feel like your part of something, AOL has all sorts of chat rooms and im's and such full of mindless chat. take your need to respond with useless info/comments/advice over there

why are you so mad??? geez its not even your post.... plus this post is

more than how many months old? your screen name probably tells your age

(I bet under 17).

Well for the original post try verizon, they have the internet wireless

options. I think verizon, tmobile and such have that plan. Maybe

cingular? goto their respected websites for more infomation