subwoofer problem

Hi Guys!

This is my first post. However, I've been a reader for quite a while. I recently purchased a SVS-PC+20-39 to go with my Klipsch system. In the past few days I have noticed some popping in movies with very low bass. Example- The THX opening to Star Wars The Phantom Menace, when the glass shatters instead of a smooth rumbling it pops at the deepest point. I've also noticed this on some of the low points in the Incredibles. My receiver is a Sony STR-DE935. My receivers subwoofer db setting is a modest +3. The gain setting on the sub is approx. 1/3. I've checked my cabling I'm currently using a better connect brand cable.

Has anyone had any similar problems?

Please help!

Thanks for the response! I have calibrated by ear. Probably not the best way. On the Phantom Menace, I adjusted the sub by watching the Pod Race scenes. I brought the gain on sub and the receiver db level up to where you could feel the jets on the Pods. I tried not to go into overkill. In the SVS owners manual, they recommend the initial setting on the sub to be between 1/4 and 1/3. Do you feel a SPL meter and Avia disk will help?

Welcome to the forum!

The Radio Shack SPL meter is well worth the cost. The problem with it, and most other modestly priced meters, is that they are not all that good on the bass end. Having said that, I use mine along with my ears to set my sub. It will do a fine job of helping you balance the output from the other speakers of your surround sound system.

Of course, if you can afford one of the high end calibrated SPL meters 2.gif

Yes, it'll make a difference. Do NOT use DVE as your test disk as the sub section is way off. Also, be sure to use the correction chart when calibrating your sub as the lower frequency responses are not correct. Using the chart gives fairly accurate (for the price) results. As a bonus, you can set your other speakers up with the meter. If your whole system is set up by ear, you'll be in for a treat when you hear it all calibrated correctly.

Welcome to the forum whathesae.

I have heard nothing but good things about the SVS-PC+20-39 , but a popping sound with the gain up only 1/3?6.gif

I wonder if something was damaged in shipping (i.e., loose wire, etc.). I was considering an SVS sub but got a good price on my RSW 12 & 15 and decided to go with that. No regrets and in fact I am ecstatic.

If you have kids you may want to check and see if there may have been some "minor adjustments" (Pun intended;-) Good luck and keep us posted.

Sure, you could be overdriving the sub with the gain at 1/3rd, depends on how much voltage the AVR is putting out to drive the input of the subwoofer.

I would give the friendly people that make the unit a dingle, they can help you set it up, an Spl meter and a test disc would be invaluable.

----------------

On 6/13/2005 11:04:12 AM michael hurd wrote:

Sure, you could be overdriving the sub with the gain at 1/3rd, depends on how much voltage the AVR is putting out to drive the input of the subwoofer.

I would give the friendly people that make the unit a dingle, they can help you set it up, an Spl meter and a test disc would be invaluable.

----------------

I stand corrected 1.gif I have never had a popping sound come out of my Klipsch, RSW's 10.gif

Thanks everybody for the advise. Heard from the people at SVS. I believe I was asking a little too much from my sub for the room size.11.gif I brought in an additional sub to help. It is a KSW -12, one I wasn't particularly happy by itself. Its low range of 25hz just didn't thump it. Together, they sound alot better than I thought they would.

I was able to turn the juice down and let the Klipsch sub help with the moderate levels, and the SVS really thumps on the really low stuff. 9.gif My buddy Tkd is coming into town with his SPL meter and Avia disk, so hopefully it will only get better from here!

Thanks again for everybodys input.

Congratualtions! You have heard the sound of a sub bottoming out. Luckily it is an easy fix as SVS pointed out. Just turn the volume down some. If you still need more sub, you will have to spend serious money and get a professional sub which not go nearly as low as the SVS but will go a lot louder. Good Luck with your subs. You must be a bassaholic!9.gif