Different Forte I Types?

Southern

The Forte speakers I recently acquired list the type as "Forte - WO".

They appear different then the other Forte I speaker pictures I have seen. The speaker jack cup on the back of the speakers are round instead of the rectangular shape. The nominal impeadance is listed as 4 ohms and the sensitivity is listed at 96 dB SPL. The other Forte specs list the impedance as 8 ohms and sensitivity as 98 dB SPL.

The serial #'s indicate that they were built the 7th week of 1986. The speakers sound fantastic, just wondering if there were different types of Forte I speakers.

Does anyone know what the "WO" is in reference to?

I see what you are talking about...My WO Forte 1's have a square compartment where the terminals are in the back. Can you give us a picture with the grill off? Then we could really tell what they are. That passive woofer on the back looks like the a 15 incher. If so, you have forte 2's, and the sensitivity is 99db, not 98.

If it is a original forte, I would like to know the difference, if any, between the ones with the square terminal box and the round one.--Did they just run out of one type, or are they from different years of production?

Things that make you go hmmm!??

I figured that was a joke based on your grin9.gif but I never underestimate what the Chinese can copy.

The impedance of the speaker is nominal therefore the DMM will not display exactly 8 or 4 ohms.

I have a feeling that the speaker cup was mislabled. I can always remove the passive radiator and take a peek inside to see what the woofer itself is labeled.

It turns out that the original owner recently moved and the Forte's were not wife friendly in the new house. The original owner is from Elkhart Indiana which is the birthplace of Paul Klipsch. The speakers look like they are brand new, they have been well taken care of.

----------------

On 6/12/2005 8:14:35 PM fletcherkane wrote:

I see what you are talking about...My WO Forte 1's have a square compartment where the terminals are in the back. Can you give us a picture with the grill off? Then we could really tell what they are. That passive woofer on the back looks like the a 15 incher. If so, you have forte 2's, and the sensitivity is 99db, not 98.

If it is a original forte, I would like to know the difference, if any, between the ones with the square terminal box and the round one.--Did they just run out of one type, or are they from different years of production?

Things that make you go hmmm!??

----------------

They are Forte I's since I measured the passive radiator to be 12". The 15" comes closer to the edge of the sides and sits closer to the speaker cup. I suspect that the round cups were overruns from the Heresy II speakers that were relabled with Forte on them.

----------------

On 6/12/2005 8:14:32 PM Rivendell61 wrote:

The Forte was sold marked 4 ohm, 6 ohm, and 8 ohm.

Seemed to change depending on how Klipsch was choosing to describe the spec.

The speaker was always the same:

4 ohm min/6 ohm average/8 ohm nominal.

This was explained by Trey a while back over on the Tech Forum.

Mark

----------------

Thanks Mark,

That sounds logical to me - no pun intended.