Jubilees

6foot8

The other one you'll see around here is SWMBO

She Who Must Be Obeyed

I understand your room layout now, there is some open space behind you. I'm too used to HT layouts where we're always trying to get the seating into the middle of the room so as to create space for rear effects channels. Just seemed odd at first glance, I'm sure you're more that fine.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael,

I hope to be able to add on a room that is more suitable for this system....but most people think I am whacked anyway for getting these. I guess I'll see how I feel in a year or so, and if I am still as into it as I am now maybe I'll start working on a room.

Parrot

Can you, or anyone else, give me instructions on how to post pictures here. My BGW 250E is arriving back from Amplifier technologies today (it was being restored) and I will be taking photos and posting probably Monday.

Did they fix the download feature? I finally gave up.

25 feet back from those monstrosities -- that probably works pretty good. I'm naturally curious as to what they gave you for a network -- have you looked at it?

Dean,

I'll take a photo of the cross over. It is not "display quality" as those found in stock Khorns or your or Al's designs. The base plate is not even wood, it is plastic....but since no one will ever see them I guess it doesn't matter.

I'll admit these are probably overkill for home use but passions are not bounded by pragmatisim. I just wanted to get the Mac Daddys if you know what I mean, besides it makes me happy.

----------------

On 6/15/2005 10:03:47 AM 6foot8 wrote:

Parrot

Can you, or anyone else, give me instructions on how to post pictures here.

----------------

If you can't make sense out of the link that Ray supplied, you can PM (Msg User) me and I'll walk you through it.

"I think perhaps too much is being made of the difference between the mockup PWK made and the commercial model."

Actually the Jubilee shown with PWK is not a mockup and there are at the very least 2 fully functional prototypes in existence.One is owned by his widow Valerie Klipsch.

Whether the home version of the Jubilee will ever be marketed is another question.The prototypes are designed to use two 12" woofers as opposed to the dual 15s used in the commercial version.

A few of our members have had the opportunity to hear a single Jubilee and were suitably impressed. I don't know whether anyone outside of the Klipsch company has had the opportunity to hear a stereo pair.

Hi 6foot8,

Thanks for your response. Some who first hear the Klipschorn and the La Scala make comments that they are almost too big in their presentation. Particularly the Klipschorn. I think perhaps, some have less capable loudspeakers, and are unused to an accurate representation of the musical signal.

The Klipschorn soundstage is absolutely huge, but with only average imaging. I don't know whether we can have one without the other. I suggest that those loudspeakers with average soundstaging, can offer much better imaging. I guess it's a psychoacoustic thing.

I agree about the Klipschorn's room sensitvity. But with a compatible room, the Klipschorn can offer the very best sound at it's price point, and way, way, beyond. The La Scala is not that far behind. If I were to choose a La Scala, I would seriously consider a very high quality subwoofer.

I'm interested in your choice of amplification. With such capable loudspeakers, I would probably go the way you have. An electronic crossover with separate amplification for the different drivers, would allow much better control of the sound.

The Thorens TD125 turntable (a derivitive of the TD124) is a classic. Cartridge and tonearm details? Have you had this turntable rebuilt?

----------------

On 6/15/2005 8:14:02 PM lynnm wrote:

"I think perhaps too much is being made of the difference between the mockup PWK made and the commercial model."

Actually the Jubilee shown with PWK is not a mockup and there are at the very least 2 fully functional prototypes in existence.One is owned by his widow Valerie Klipsch.

Whether the home version of the Jubilee will ever be marketed is another question.The prototypes are designed to use two 12" woofers as opposed to the dual 15s used in the commercial version.

----------------

Lynnm...from my reading, the commercial bass horn seems to be nearly identical with the prototype. According to the specs the commercial unit uses 2-12 drivers. If you folks know that the prototype has 2-12s as well, then there seems to be only slight differences from what I can tell, there seems to be little significant difference other then materials and possibly a slight variation in bin dimensions.

From there the choice of horns are simply a matter of bandpass desired, the Q and specific coverage pattern, and the sensitivity.

Thus to understand this unit, specific knowledge of the throat loading is needed, overal bin dimensions, and a knowledge of the passive crossover would help to define the 'constraints' defining the horn bandpass. (And of course external active crossovers are always a pro option...)

Am I missing something?

Has anyone been able to compare dimensions, etc.?

It seems they are pretty close from that pict..... From the earlier posts my mind's eye had the prototype being a little shorter, but the perspective and surroundings effected that!But this picture seems to make any differences much smaller!

On 6/15/2005 8:49:01 PM edwinr wrote:

The Klipschorn soundstage is absolutely huge, but with only average imaging.

It's strange but I've never in my entire life heard better maging than on KHorns. Much better than some B&W 801's I heard.

Guess I need to get out more...