Heresy II innards

Well, recently when I took a bad squawker out of a Heresy II was surprised to see a foam baffle of sorts inside. Though have enjoyed shade tree mechanics with several original Heresy's never had looked inside the HII.

The baffle is made of maybe 3/4" foam and rolled into a cylinder with a 12" diameter and is oriented front to back from the front of the woofer basket to the rear of the cab. I haven't looked inside it, where the crossover apparently lives, but was wondering what the sonic impact of this baffle would be. It would seem to be minimal.

Is this stock or an earlier owner's mod? Any thoughts appreciated.

I've never quite understood why a Heresy cab wouldn't be stuffed with something. As I understand the conventional wisdom that the stuffing has the sonic effect of a larger cab. With the most significant shortcoming of a Heresy being bass shy, this would seem to be an asset. Yet, PWK never thought this would be worth it. I believe that if it had offered an improvement to the sound, it would have been worth the few pennies worth of material it would take to accomplish this.

Some forum members have tried this and have reported improvement, but I don't think I've ever found a consensus of opinion that agreed with the reported improvement.

DD

I was building an enclosure for a (budget) three way system to listen to FM out in my shop when we lived in Hope. Paul happened to see it. I asked him if I should put some foam or insulation batt in it. He looked puzzled and said "Why?". Conversation ended.

There are two ways to approach that response. "No, it isn't necessary". Or "Nothing could make much difference to that mess you have screwed together."

Long Time Dee,

BILL

I might like to try adding that to my Heresy I. I don't suppose you could take a picture and post it?

Daddy Dee's sounds like it's rolled into a cylinder, Tom's is a U-shaped? Is it the full height of the cabinet? I'm having trouble picturing it.

I could always go look into my HII, but would rather not take it apart if I don't have too1.gif

There is a chunk of foam near the bottom of my Forte's (1). Near the bottom of the box there is a slanted piece of MDF with a chunk of foam (3" thick) on the top of the slanted MDF. This appears to be from the factory and not modified by the previous owner.

----------------

On 6/19/2005 7:26:40 PM scott0527 wrote:

I might like to try adding that to my Heresy I. I don't suppose you could take a picture and post it?

Daddy Dee's sounds like it's rolled into a cylinder, Tom's is a U-shaped? Is it the full height of the cabinet? I'm having trouble picturing it.

I could always go look into my HII, but would rather not take it apart if I don't have too
1.gif

----------------

Don't have a pic, but I'll try at a better description. The sheet of foam is about 3/4" thick. Laid out flat it would be about 36.75 inches x 15 inches (or the depth of the speaker, front to back) The 36+ side is rolled end to end, so that it equals the circumference of the woofer. The woofer basket nests in it as it is oriented in place, front to back.

----------------

On 6/19/2005 9:41:40 PM Daddy Dee wrote:

----------------

On 6/19/2005 7:26:40 PM scott0527 wrote:

I could always go look into my HII, but would rather not take it apart if I don't have too
1.gif

----------------

Don't have a pic, but I'll try at a better description. The sheet of foam is about 3/4" thick. Laid out flat it would be about 36.75 inches x 15 inches (or the depth of the speaker, front to back) The 36+ side is rolled end to end, so that it equals the circumference of the woofer. The woofer basket nests in it as it is oriented in place, front to back.

----------------

Now I got it. Thanks for the description.

The foam seems to follow the contour of the woofer frame in my Heresy II hence my use of the term "molded." The foam appears to be "molded" in the same shape. If you want to decree that it's not "molded" but is instead a "U" shaped piece of foam that's thrown in there then it's fine by me. Whatever floats your boat, man.

-H2G

----------------

On 6/21/2005 2:39:39 AM heresy2guy wrote:

The foam seems to follow the contour of the woofer frame in my Heresy II hence my use of the term "molded." The foam appears to be "molded" in the same shape. If you want to decree that it's not "molded" but is instead a "U" shaped piece of foam that's thrown in there then it's fine by me. Whatever floats your boat, man.

-H2G

----------------

Hey....get off my back! I'm an Engineer. You know how we are! LMAO 9.gif

BTW - Trey also told me that the Heresy I's suffer from this "bounce" too.

Tom

On 6/14/2005 10:54:35 AM Daddy Dee wrote:

I've never quite understood why a Heresy cab wouldn't be stuffed with something. As I understand the conventional wisdom that the stuffing has the sonic effect of a larger cab. With the most significant shortcoming of a Heresy being bass shy, this would seem to be an asset. Yet, PWK never thought this would be worth it. I believe that if it had offered an improvement to the sound, it would have been worth the few pennies worth of material it would take to accomplish this.

A larger cabinet volume doesn't always mean more bass output. Sometimes it yields deeper (and less boomy) bass and slightly lower output levels.