New Receiver

shane_0_mac

I am going to have to get a new receiver, my HK does not give me the power I want.

I am thinking a Marantz SR7500 or a Dennon AVR 3805. Of these 2 which would you guys go with? They are both about the same price at my dealer. My dealer wants me to go with the Marantz because for the same money I am getting THX certification with the Marantz.

I think I will keep the HK for anoother room, its a great unit just lacks the power I crave.

I am playing HT at -5db setting on my receiver.

I mean the sound is crisp and clear, but I really do like it loud.

The room at Steroe one is about the same size as my room, I will have them set up my system there with the Dennon and Marantz and see how much louder it is than mine.

Michael you know I get confused easily on this stuff :D, but are you saying that a receiver at a true 105 watts per channel would not be much louder than my 50 watts??

Shane, I like what BobbyT said. That HK-235 has a fine processor and if it's power you want, it's an amp or three you need to get. B&K, Rotel, Parasound, and Sunfire, to name a few, are all highly regarded here, and you can start with a two channel for your mains and then add a three or five channel for the rest.

So if a get a couple amps (this is the area of this stuff where I am real dumb) would I use my HK as a pre amp, or would I just be adding power to what it already produces?

And will it be cheaper to add 2 amps than to buy a new stronget receiver?

I am also going to see what kind of trade I can get with my dealer on my RB-35's for RF-7's. I need some better 2 channel audio (some can now say I told you so lol) I know the 7 are much stronger than my rc 35 but I figure since the upgrade bug is never going to stop there is no since getting RF-35 when before to long I will want the whole 7 series.

Now if I can work a deal for the 7's then I assume I would really want a 2 channel amp to push them right?

Well, I'm not really qualified to talk much about the RF-7's since I don't have any, but I can regurgitate what's been said elsewhere on the board. A few folks here have reported a marked improvement in performance when they moved to a high-power (high current) amplifier. Apparently the RF-7 has a pretty punishing impedence dip, and to keep the woofers under control you need an amp with some muscle. IIRC the B&K 200.2 and a big Rotel -- 1095? -- are said to do well for that.

But yeah, at this point your HK-235 becomes a preamp for those channels that are driven by outboard amplifiers. You may get some benefit in the remaining channels since the amp section's power supply is no longer responsible for the ones that were offloaded, but I have no idea if it would be perceivable. As for "cheaper," I guess that all depends on what you get and where you get it. Few would argue (at least here anyway) that separate amps are not "better" in terms of performance and flexibility.

It's all a balancing act, really. The cheapest and easiest thing might just be the big receiver. You have to balance your desires against your pocketbook and your comfort level with making your system more complex. Something else to consider might be a more upscale receiver -- something like a Rotel 1068 or a B&K 307 or 507 might get you where you want to go and be a big step up in performance as well.

I have RF-7s and added a 2 channel outboard amp to my Pioneer receiver. The RF-7s sounded much better, and the other channels did benefit slightly from more power supply per channel for the remaining channels.

Today, I have 2 channel and 5 channel outboard amps. I agree with the brands named as long as the amp has at least 200 watts. The higher wattage amps usually have higher current capability for driving low impedances like the RF-7s. The wattage is also good for better headroom for transient response.

The RC-7 and RS-7s have impedance dips that are nearly as low as the RF-7s. When I went from a 225 watt Sunfire to a 400 watt Sunfire I noticed an improvement in the RC-7 and RS-7s. Again, it's not the watts available that is as important as the ability to drive impedances below 4 ohms and even below 3 ohms on the RF-7s.

Bill

If you really want to have volume, I would recommend the Sunfire equipment. It could even be the Sunfire Reciever. Although you will get sticker shock. They have at least 110 volt rails and that means they will play so loud, you can rip your head off. Most "regular" recievers max out around 50 volt rails. The difference in available headroom and power is pretty substantial if you run the Sunfire at the 50 volt level, allowing it to double for peaks. Running any reciever or amp at generally 50 volts with RF-7s would kill your hearing very quickly. Major unreversible damage.... be careful!

First off does your Harman even have preouts? If so you could then buy a used two channel amp ( or new your choice and money), and a descent cd player. You may have some fine music then. By the way I listen to alot of amps around 0 and lower. No biggy as long as their quality watts. Do you hear distortion where you like the volume? If not it's cool.

I do not hear any distortion at all. I just do not want to go above -5db. I think my HK does have pre outs, I will check to make sure.

Its not like my system is quiet, it gets pretty loud I just would like a little extra kick sometimes.

If I swing the deal for some RF-7's for now I will go with the 2 channel amp, then take a second mortgage lol and get another amp and the rest of the 7 line.

----------------

On 6/17/2005 8:37:03 AM ]

So what are the audible differences when you go to a seperate amp? I have the Rx7 line. What could I expect if I upgrade down the road? Are we talking fuller sound? More bass? Etc. etc...

----------------

[/blockquote>

You will hear a wider soundstage with more depth. Deeper bass with more control. NO more artificial sounding midrage ( the most critical area where a receiver messes things up in my opinion.) Highs will either have more presence or be smoother depending on which brand you go with. But usually never brash or harsh. You'll have a much blacker background so the sound will sound like it's coming from a cleaner background. That really makes alot more difference than one would think. My old B&k had tons of presence in the top end nice for cymbals a bit soft in the bass, but beautifull mids. Singing was amazing. It was an st-140 highly talked about as tube like.