KG 3 Versus KG 3.5

garymd

After hearing Thebes KG 3.5s over the weekend, I decided to try and find a pair for my son. There's a local pair of KG 3's on ebay but they look VERY different then the 3.5s. They have a large passive radiator vs the port on the 3.5. The current price is $180, reserve not met. How much is too much for these? They say mint condition but you know how that goes. At least I'll be able to see and hear before I buy.

Thanks in advance for your advice. I'm a KG newbie.2.gif

The KG3 was the original, and the KG3.5 came later if it were me I would prefer the older version with the passive radiator. $180 certainly does not seem out of line for a really nice pair considering I paid $200 for a mint/boxed pair of KG1's. KG4's have also been drawing really good money in recent months on eBay.

Honestly, I don't think you could go wrong with either. Even KG2's are worthy!

Thanks Charles. The only problem is $180 didn't reach the reserve. Who knows how high that is. No shipping is a BIG plus but I'm not sure how high to bid. If they truly are mint, do you think $300 is about right? I think I could definitely snag them for that price, maybe lower.

Gary, here's a pair of KLG 4's for $195 in Wheaton:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/ele/79911463.html

I've never heard the 4's but I do have the 4.2's. do a serach here I think a lot of people here like theirs.

Hope this helps. Also from what I seen in the last few months KG's seem to show up fairly frequently on Craigslist in this area. There is also a set of KG 5.5's but they are $400.

Danada. Four bills for 3.0's sounds way too high unloess you are collecting them for some reasons. The KG 3.5's sell all dya long for $200. Hope you get them and your son enjoys them.

garymd, I just picked up a pair of KG 3.5's today that I bought on eBay last week for $139.00. Not totally minty but they perform great (actually pretty awesome) and look good, just to give you an idea on pricing. Those 4's sound like a pretty good deal, let us know how they sound.

Thanks Krispy. You guys will be the first to know.3.gif

Nice deal on the 3.5s! I want something local or it would be easy.

I tried to help Marty heft his 5s around and they aren't light! Even the 3.5s are pretty heavy. They seem like very well built speakers for the size. My heresys are easier to move around, probably because of the shape.

----------------

On 6/20/2005 9:58:32 PM garymd wrote:

I tried to help Marty heft his 5s around and they aren't light! Even the 3.5s are pretty heavy. They seem like very well built speakers for the size. My heresys are easier to move around, probably because of the shape.

----------------

hehe, yeah Klipsch don't make no light weight speakers. 2.gif9.gif

I'm now the proud owner of a pair of original KG4s. All drivers work fine. One of the passive radiators has a couple minor dents you only notice up close. Not an issue at all. Very fair price too.

The best part was meeting another Klipsch fanatic. He's in the middle of restoring a pair of '79 Lascalas in his garage. I told him about the forum and chatted about crossover issues, etc. I'm guessing he'll be a member of the board before the day's out.1.gif He's a great guy and will fit right in here (God help him12.gif).

If you're reading this Steve, welcome aboard.10.gif

Gary,

Congrats on your new speaks! I just got back from a client and on my way home, I stopped off at a Goodwill thrift store. There is a pair of JBL L-56 speakers for $40 (I think you can get it for less if you ask). I stood there for 20 minutes trying to convince myself NOT to buy 'em and finally walked out (a real test of willpower). The walnut cabinets are fairly rough but can be buffed up nicely. For $40 - what have you got to lose?! My excuse is that my wife finally put her foot down after speakers started showing up outside of the basement.

I was just patting myself on the back as I walked into a pawn shop across the street and low and behold - there was a pair of Klipsch commercial subs w/15" drivers. The price on the tag was $400 but the fella said I could have them for $250. I was once again able to walk out but sometimes its best to not know what's out there.

If you're interested, shoot me an email or give me a call and I'll give you the details. Just don't tell your wife how you found them!

Have fun -Bryan

Thanks for the lead Bryan but I'm going to have a hard enough time explaining the KGs to my wife! As it is, she'll yell at me for not giving him the Heresys! Good thing is they may be small enough to hide until I can get them to my son!

Aren't we overdo for a get-together? How'd those Blue Notes turn out? Any gems?

"Thanks for the lead Bryan but I'm going to have a hard enough time explaining the KGs to my wife! As it is, she'll yell at me for not giving him the Heresys! Good thing is they may be small enough to hide until I can get them to my son!

Aren't we overdo for a get-together? How'd those Blue Notes turn out? Any gems?"

S'ok Gary - I certainly understand and I'm impressed with your self-control. I tend to bring home floorstanders which are difficullt to fit under the bed. A friend wants to sell me a pair of JBL 4355s which are huge - even next to Khorns. There's just no way I can convince my wife to let me bring them in the house and I certainly can't hide those puppies.

Let's definitely get together soon. I'd like to hear how your system is coming along and I'm just about finished with my "Frankenhorn" project. When its done, I'll invite you over for a listen. I know it seems like I've written all this before - but.. I'm serious-ly this time. (excuse the Cartman reference).

Blue Notes...Schmue Notes! I've been picking up records right and left. There's just no end to it! I keep telling myself that I'm not bringing any more records home until I clean the ones I have but I keep coming across interesting finds- I'm such a wuss!

Let's make some plans. I'll talk with you soon. -Bryan

----------------

On 6/22/2005 2:05:09 PM JBryan wrote:

S'ok Gary - I certainly understand and I'm impressed with your self-control.

----------------

Me? Self-control? Hahahahaha!

Well, after seeing your basement, I can understand why you think that.9.gif

----------------

On 6/22/2005 3:53:55 PM thebes wrote:

Hey Gary there's also a nice 70's era Marantz ss receiver for $20 in Silver Spring to go with the KG's. Just do a DC craigslist search for Marantz.

----------------

STOP IT!!!!!9.gif9.gif9.gif