Cinema Grand for RF-7 Mains?

getech

I have just set up my HT using a Denon AV-3300 as a preamp with an old B&K s202 amp (140watts) powering the RF-7's. Had the RF-7's modified recently by Dean. Still sounds rather muddy and lacks depth. Was thinking to upgrade the amp to a Sunfire 5 x 200 Cinema Grand. Is this a good match?

Thanks!

I dont think the issues that you are having are related to the B&K amplifier, your problem if anything it is that older Denon receiver. If you buy anything buy a real preamp!

I started with a Denon AVR-3300, I still use it in my bedroom. It sounded OK, but the jump to the Denon AVR-4800 made a big difference, going to a dedicated AV Pre/Pro brought things to a totally different level.

----------------

On 6/22/2005 11:09:50 AM getech wrote:

I have just set up my HT using a Denon AV-3300 as a preamp with an old B&K s202 amp (140watts) powering the RF-7's. Had the RF-7's modified recently by Dean. Still sounds rather muddy and lacks depth. Was thinking to upgrade the amp to a Sunfire 5 x 200 Cinema Grand. Is this a good match?

Thanks!

----------------

I agree with Frzninvt - the B&K amp is likely the least of your problems. B&K amps are known for a huge, expansive soundstage, and I've never heard them referred to as "muddy". So unless you think the amplifier is defective, you should try a different preamplifier before you start switching amps.