svs or klipsch

ballenone

come on guys over a hundred views and only a few replies you guys know your stuff help me pick need more feedback to help me decide

pb12 ultra 2 or klipsch ultra 120 thx

i will be using the sub for movies and some music and im really not sure what to get. I hear alot about the svs yet ive heard the 120-thx my self and it sounded pretty good.

so really i just want to hear all your thoughts on each sub good and bad cause im ready to get one or the other but you guys will be the deciding factor

so let hear it...!!! what ever the verdict i hope you can help me decide

THX120 VS SVS(Ultra)

The SVS has an advantage on very deep bass below 25Hz,both do a fine job to the lower limits of human hearing.The SVS will add more shake factor(not just any SVS,the TV12 equiped ones and the dB12 multiples).

The Klipsch will have more punch.

I would get dual THX120's with the matching amp and you have all the punch and low end one could ask for.Or a SVS PB2-Ultra for even more very deep bass and less slam.

The choice depends also on the mains you have.If your mains are large and capable of serious punch with no help,SVS.Need a bit more slam...Klipsch.

I use four Klipsch RF7's(maisna nd as rear sourrounds) and still use a mix of multiple Klipsch RSW's(10,12 and 15)and Sunfire subs.There is nothing like limitless punch and house demolishing deep earthquake like bass 9.gif

Well I had ordered a svs pb12 + 2 I believe it was whatever the 600 watt 2 12's model they have. Needless to say it was so massive and so over powering, I had to return it, and I wasn't all that impressed with it either and lost over 200.00 on the return shipping. I now have a sub 12 and love it its alot more tuneable than the svs was at least in my location. My main point for all of this is that be sure if you go the svs route you take into consideration that youll be out hundreds of dollars if you decide to return it.

----------------

On 6/23/2005 9:08:34 AM Bloodlustt wrote:

Well I had ordered a svs pb12 + 2 I believe it was whatever the 600 watt 2 12's model they have. Needless to say it was so massive and so over powering, I had to return it, and I wasn't all that impressed with it either and lost over 200.00 on the return shipping. I now have a sub 12 and love it its alot more tuneable than the svs was at least in my location. My main point for all of this is that be sure if you go the svs route you take into consideration that youll be out hundreds of dollars if you decide to return it.

----------------

Not sure what you mean by more tuneable. Sounds like you didn't really have one. If you did, you would know it has a 900W rms amp and is user tunable to 6 different configurations with a continuously variable crossover, subsonic filter and port blockers. The sub12 is not tuneable. And what does "over powering" and "wasn't all that impressed with it" mean in the same sentence?

I like the price/performance of the sub12 package and would purchase one myself, but lets deal in reality here.

I have heard both SVS Ultra tubes and KSW boxes on the same system, in the same room. While the depth is nice for movies, music and accuracy, the punch is thrilling for both. Ideally you would get one of each!

10.gif

----------------

On 6/23/2005 10:21:20 AM Colin wrote:

I have heard both SVS Ultra tubes and KSW boxes on the same system, in the same room. While the depth is nice for movies, music and accuracy, the punch is thrilling for both. Ideally you would get one of each!

10.gif

----------------

KSW boxes arefar far away in performance from the new Klipsch THX subs.In output,depth and quality both sonic and materials.

A dual TV12 setup outdisplaces the modded RSW12 woofer used in the 120THX subs.More output down very low,around 25Hz and up both should pount the stuffing out of any non deaf listener.

LOL ok I could show you the receipt for I dunno a grand that I paid svs. Anyway what I was saying as tunable is getting the sub to match your speakers that you have now. This particular sub was so overpowering that even with tuning cd's. I was unable to get the sub dialed in enough to not totally overpower my main channels. All in all I felt that the svs was to much sub and would be better in either a very big room or on tour with a band :o.

----------------

On 6/27/2005 9:13:44 AM Bloodlustt wrote:

LOL ok I could show you the receipt for I dunno a grand that I paid svs. Anyway what I was saying as tunable is getting the sub to match your speakers that you have now. This particular sub was so overpowering that even with tuning cd's. I was unable to get the sub dialed in enough to not totally overpower my main channels. All in all I felt that the svs was to much sub and would be better in either a very big room or on tour with a band
:o

----------------

I would have to agree with Darth CAS.

Any SVS can be matched with just about any(save for tiny sats)speakers.The key is crossover point,phase,placement and GAIN on the sub.

I cannot see a reason for SVS not to match,even Sunfire subs(good up to 70Hz,with very low upper freq.limit) can be set up to match most smaller speakers(save again for micro sats).

Thats the beauty of this country we can agree to disagree. I have no problem with your points of view. But my opinion on that svs sub stands. Take it for what its worth. I worked on it for 3 days tuning it. You need some serious power from your mains to match the output that sub will produce.

----------------

On 6/23/2005 9:08:34 AM Bloodlustt wrote:

----------------

Ballenone, sounds like Bloodlustt has given you the perfect endorsement for a SVS choice. Great for a large room or a rock band.

If it was the 600 watt version with two 12s, Bloodlustt is talking about the PB2 ISD model, like mine - which is the entry level version of the PB2s. I've run mine with RF3IIs, RF7s and now Belles - and never had problems with overpowering.

OK, I'll bite. Bloodlustt, what mains were you running your SVS sub with?

Carl.

I was using Bose AM 5's, with a yamaha reciever. I now have the sub 12 and its about half way on the gain and it sounds great lots of base but also not so overpowering. obviously, 1 12 vs the svs 2 12's. Don't get me wrong I dont have anything against svs, my point to this whole thing as I said before is if you go the svs route just be sure you have very strong fronts you'll need them. From what I was told from Eric at svs is that there wattage ratings are very conservative and I'd agree.

----------------

On 6/30/2005 2:15:12 PM Bloodlustt wrote:

I was using Bose AM 5's, with a yamaha reciever. I now have the sub 12 and its about half way on the gain and it sounds great lots of base but also not so overpowering. obviously, 1 12 vs the svs 2 12's. Don't get me wrong I dont have anything against svs, my point to this whole thing as I said before is if you go the svs route just be sure you have very strong fronts you'll need them. From what I was told from Eric at svs is that there wattage ratings are very conservative and I'd agree.

----------------

I think I'm more familiar with what your desires are for base. You are looking for something that is just a little boomy all the time. Something with a little boost in the upper octaves that is always slightly noticable. SVS subs have a very flat response, meaning when there's no appripriate LF material it will be silent as it should be. And when appropriate material did come along you had it turned up so loud that it was calibreated many dB hotter than your mains.

I don't think there are many more inappropriate pairings than Bose AM5's and an SVS subwoofer. You may have had a FR gap of tremendous proportions. I think you were probably looking for the sound of a more capable base module.