TT Stands vs. Wall Mounting/Isolation Platforms

• Moderators

I ended up going with Target wall mount with excellent results.

My experience exactly. However, I did get added benefit from a damping device on the rack/under the table, a Townshend sink to be specific. A pic of the setup is on page one of this thread.

lc

Larry,

I have been looking for a place to buy a Seismic Sink since you posted about this awhile back, but have had no luck if finding someone who sells them. There are a couple of places who now sell his Sink rack system, but I have yet to find a place that sells just the sink.

Travis

Hmm, must not be distributing them in the US now. Shame. I got my "2-D" sinks perhaps 5-10 years ago when they had an active reputation and sales around the country, and were frequently used at audio shows. However, I had to get my more recent "3-D" sink through Dan Meinwald, and it didn't seem like he was an official distributor or in much of a position to back them up (although he did a good job of repairing a leak in one of my sinks a few years ago). It seems like that's still the case, since he's at E.A.R-USA, which distributes Townshend racks but not the sinks. It looks like Dan is still the contact and best info source, at info@ear-usa.com.

The "3-D" was reviewed in February, 2005, at http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue17/townshendsinks.htm, and may have been a current product at that time. Gary got one used, and I believe likes what he hears (Gary?).

There are other products, such as Symposium and Bright Star. I have not listened to those. Be aware that Townshends, probably like all air-bladders, do leak air slowly and have to be pumped back up occasionally. Not a huge PITA. What I like about the Townshend is the very heavily damped top plate which appears to be a substantial part of how well they work. They're not just air bladders.

lc

• Moderators

Hmm, must not be distributing them in the US now. Shame. I got my "2-D" sinks perhaps 5-10 years ago when they had an active reputation and sales around the country, and were frequently used at audio shows. However, I had to get my more recent "3-D" sink through Dan Meinwald, and it didn't seem like he was an official distributor or in much of a position to back them up (although he did a good job of repairing a leak in one of my sinks a few years ago). It seems like that's still the case, since he's at E.A.R-USA, which distributes Townshend racks but not the sinks. It looks like Dan is still the contact and best info source, at info@ear-usa.com.

The "3-D" was reviewed in February, 2005, at http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue17/townshendsinks.htm, and may have been a current product at that time. Gary got one used, and I believe likes what he hears (Gary?).

There are other products, such as Symposium and Bright Star. I have not listened to those. Be aware that Townshends, probably like all air-bladders, do leak air slowly and have to be pumped back up occasionally. Not a huge PITA. What I like about the Townshend is the very heavily damped top plate which appears to be a substantial part of how well they work. They're not just air bladders.

lc

I sent Dan an email, we will see what he says.

Travis

• Moderators

Hmm, must not be distributing them in the US now. Shame. I got my "2-D" sinks perhaps 5-10 years ago when they had an active reputation and sales around the country, and were frequently used at audio shows. However, I had to get my more recent "3-D" sink through Dan Meinwald, and it didn't seem like he was an official distributor or in much of a position to back them up (although he did a good job of repairing a leak in one of my sinks a few years ago). lc

Here is the reply, on a Sunday no less.

Travis Williamson wrote:

To: Dan Meinwald:

I was given your name by a happy 2-D and 3-D sink owner. I am looking to purchase a 3-D sink and was wondering if I could purchase one from you directly or if you can tell me who can sell me one? I am located in Austin, Texas. Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm afraid that the 3D Sinks are no longer in production, to be replaced by suspension platforms that do not use air (but that are not yet in production).

Dan Meinwald

So that is the official word from Dan. What a shame, I will take a look at those others you mentioned to see what they say. I also sent a email direclty to Townsend to see if they had any laying around the shop.

Travis

I'm afraid that the 3D Sinks are no longer in production, to be replaced by suspension platforms that do not use air (but that are not yet in production).

Dan Meinwald

So that is the official word from Dan. What a shame, I will take a look at those others you mentioned to see what they say. I also sent a email direclty to Townsend to see if they had any laying around the shop.

Travis

Travis,

I think Townsend, more that likely, believes it's current direction to component stand design superceeds it's former approach.

Klipsch out.