TT Stands vs. Wall Mounting/Isolation Platforms

• Moderators

I loved looking at everyone's 2 Channel Setups in the thread that is still going strong and it got me to thinking about a couple of things:

No Disc, I have been thinking about having my cabinet maker doing a custom cabinet what is similar to the one you have your TT on along, where did you get yours, if you had it made do you have any suggestions or something you would have done differently, what isolation platform do you have under your TT and are you happy with it, what on earth are all of those brass harmonic dampeners you have everywhere, or are those dampers?

Doctorcilantro has a wall mounted platform which I have been strongly considering, I don't have wood floors but my A/V room is up stairs and movement on the floors seems to transfer across the whole room. Doc, which mount do you have, where did you get it, what isolation platform are you using with it, what did you pay, happy with it?

Shapeshifter, you have an isolation platform under your TT which I noticed is every close to your K-Horn. I was wondering which platform you use and does it work even at mid/high volume being so close to the right speaker.

3dZapper, what A/V racks are those, did you fill with lead or sand, are you happy with those for that beautiful Bellagio?

Guy Landau: Nice looking rack, the shelves look adjustable. What brand is it, where did you get it, pay, etc.? Same questions for Codhead's rack, if you know.

I would love to hear from anyone about a turntable racks they have been happy with, or isolation platforms that have worked well, and of course, anything that they found not to have worked or worth the money.

Thanks to crazytubepower for starting a great thread and stiring my imagination and curiosity. Thanks in advance for your responses to the above questions.

Travis

Austin, Texas

I made mine from 1/4" steel plate and 3" steel tubing. After cutting and welding and grinding and sanding I took the stand and had it blasted and powder coated. The table sits on a air-bladder/sandbox conbination. I also filled the legs with lead shot.

Total cost was about $500. Works GREAT.

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=37622&

post-3408-13819266913622_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I've had mine for a long while now. It feeds the table, preamp and CD player. I bought it because the power in my old house/nieghborhood was pretty lousy, sometimes falling to 102-3v which made my CD player HUMMMM like a banshee. Since then I have upgraded to a new 200 amp service with dedicated circuits for the hifi and no longer have that problem, but the P300 remains.

Wall mounts can be very effective in isolating a tt from floor movement. I've installed 3 in 3 different houses and in all cases the tt was effectively isolated. My current tt is a Basis 1400 with the stock rubber feet (no springs, dampers, rubber bands, or isolation platform). I can walk right up to the tt while it's playing (and the floor is definately moving in my vintage 1828 house) .. and no interaction with the tt.

Leo

----------------

On 6/26/2005 10:25:17 PM kev313 wrote:

Yes...you would have a tremendous problem with vibrations if you then had to listen to your turntable outside.
----------------

Welding inside the house is always a bad idea!

I have a welding shop at work with both TIG and heliarc. I am not a great welder, but if I take my time and am really careful I can do a passable job--especially on something simple like this stand.

If you were local I'd make you one for the cost of the materials--it only took about 5 hours total . . .

Travis,

Look at this Needle Doctor web page on wall mount racks for TTs, specifically the two pictured Target racks. One is 21" X 19" and the other is 22" X 22". Very important is that the screw mounts are 16" apart to facilitate mounting to wall studs for solidity and strength.

I have an older, larger Target rack that is screwed into a stud (using screws at least 2 3/4" long!) on one side, and it is as solid as can be, over a floor that probably vibrated almost as much as Leo's. It's very strong, holding about 100 lbs. of an older Basis TT and a Townshend isolation sink.

Larry

----------------

On 6/26/2005 3:05:05 PM dwilawyer wrote:

Guy Landau: Nice looking rack, the shelves look adjustable. What brand is it, where did you get it, pay, etc.? Same questions for Codhead's rack, if you know.

----------------

Travis,

The rack is called Starbase and was imported from the UK. You can read more info here http://www.audiophilebase.com/ . The feet are adjustable and there are few spacer sizes.

A friend of mine was thinking about becoming the US distributor and had imported a few of these. He dropped the idea off because they become too expensive (over $4k retail) . He have 3 more demo units that were used in CES - I know he wishes to sell them at a very discounted price.

----------------

On 6/26/2005 3:05:05 PM dwilawyer wrote:

Shapeshifter, you have an isolation platform under your TT which I noticed is every close to your K-Horn. I was wondering which platform you use and does it work even at mid/high volume being so close to the right speaker.

Travis

Austin, Texas

----------------

Travis,

I use Bright Star's IsoRock
Platform. It's rated as a good isolation platform for tables that incoorporate some type built-in suspension. It works well for me as I have had practically no vibration issues. My components are actually on the wall to the left of the left speaker. Please note that Mid/High volumes for me are achieved with 45 Set Amps (1.8 Watts). So others Mileage Might Vary (MMV) significantly.

Wes

Here are some recommendations from Bright Star based on suspension type of TT.

TURNTABLES (with internal suspensions):

MINIMUM a set of IsoNode feet under the turntable.

GOOD an IsoRock under the turntable.

BETTER a Big Rock under the turntable.

BEST an Air Mass/Big Rock combination under the turntable.

TURNTABLES (without internal suspensions):

MINIMUM a set of IsoNode feet under the turntable.

GOOD an IsoRock under the turntable.

BETTER An Air Mass under the turntable.

BEST an Air Mass/Big Rock combination under the turntable.

Note They manufacture specific models for VPI, Well Tempered, Basis and Micro Seiki turntables.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

This mount was made in Italy; I can't remember the name but I think it may be etched in

somewhere. We are moving soon so I'll try to find out.

It's a great model because it makes leveling so easy with the built in points. I used Home Depot

brackets last time but both wall mounts I have made/used really saved my ***. I could not walk

in our old audio room unless I tiptoed (2nd floor); the floors were that bad. After the home jobbie I could literally jump up and down and slam into the floor w/o skipping a groove.

Saves you rack space but you have to maybe deal with a few wires creeping up the wall; WAF???

I am using a chincy piece of MDF painted black on top of the wall mount shelf in order to use

Vibrapods. I use the stock feet of the HW-19 and no mat on the platter.

You can do it on the cheap at Home Depot; they have some big old brackets there. Kind of fugly but

paint and they'll get the job done. Slap a piece of MDF on top and your set. Add something fancy or

some Vibrapods and spin it.

IMG_0172

???? why's this not working?

www.catuccio.net/IMG_0172

&

www.catuccio.net/IMG_0171

DC

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

Allan, is this your current TT setup?

What's the box below the TT,....I'm guessing that's what a air-suspension looks like. Where's the sand box?

Gilbert,

Quite a bump, this thread brought back some old memories.

I ended up going with Target wall mount with excellent results. I could not walk around the room without the tonearm jumping before I mounted it on the wall. Now I can jump up and down, not that I do, and it has no effect. I would not go wall mount if I was on a slab, that is why I asked if the other thread if you were on a slab or pier and beam, or something else.

Travis

I ended up going with Target wall mount with excellent results.

My experience exactly. While I also don't jump up and down on my somewhat springy wood floors, I get no visible or audible vibration, jounce, or feedback, and it's a heckuva lot cheaper than some alternatives. However, I did get added benefit from a damping device on the rack/under the table, a Townshend sink to be specific. A pic of the setup is on page one of this thread.

lc