Forte II + Academy + Forte ???

feersum dreadnot

I have '86 Fortes and an Academy center right now, with KG.5s as rear surrounds.

Having scored the Academy this summer, and moving everything into a new media room, seems like it is time to upgrade the rears.

Just saw and reflexively bid on a pair of Forte IIs on e-bay, and then wondered, "how will that work?"

I was assuming I would put the Forte IIs in as L+R mains, and move the Fortes to rear surround duty.

Any thoughts or known issues matching Fortes with Forte IIs ??

Thanks.

There very well could be big difference since one uses a exponential horn and the other a tractix, I am sure they would sound similar but not the same.

I think it would be a good match in the rear, I will let others with more direct experience on the FI & FII chime in.

I have Forte IIs and Chorus Is. The CIs don't have a passive but if I remember correctly Forte I and II both have passives in the back.

You will need to consider the placement. If your room is big enough that you can put some space between the forte and wall and still have room for seating you should be good. There will be some difference in sound between the FI and FII, but using for surround duty I don't think you will have any issues.

For HT applications I personally like the CI for the reason you don't have to have so much space behind them.

Sounds like you are well on your way to a great sounding system.

Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...

You have the same system as my parents do, Forte II/Academy up front, a set of Forte I for surrounds and a set of KG 1.2 for rear center. It's been a while since I've done movie night over there, but I don't remember any issues that had me staring at the Fortes saying "That's not right." I don't think you'll have any problems with the system. You will really enjoy the Academy up front, as it is a very good timbre match. About the only other thing you could do to better things would be to put another Forte (I or II) as a center. I will be trying that soon with a Chorus II, to have the front trio in that model.

• 1 month later...

Is an implication here that the Academy is a better match for the Forte II than it is for the original Forte?

Don't all three share the same (K-75-K) or very similar (K-76-KV) tweeters, and the difference between the two Forte midranges (K-53-K exponential vs K-61-K Tractrix) doesn't matter compared to the two-way Academy?

The only argument I can think of that the FII is a better match is because the Academy came out while the FII was in production, and that may have influenced the designers somehow in the final tone of the Academy.

Any facts or good guesses on this?