My impressions of my new RF-25s

wuzzzer

I've had my RF-25s for almost two weeks now. I've gone through almost all of my 200+ CDs and listened to most of my favorite tracks from them. Watched several concert DVDs and a few DVD movies too.

One thing I noticed that if the recording is mediocre, it sounds really bad with the volume way up. I have a feeling that these speakers will have me searching for better quality recorded music in a hurry.

I've experimented a little with positioning and toeing-in of the speakers and think I've found the optimum for my listening room. If I really turn up the volume, I move my listening position back about 5 feet from where I normally sit. Helps to reduce the ringing ear effect.1.gif

The only person beside me to hear the speakers is my wife. Her comment on them? "They sound too clear. I don't like them. I like how our old speakers sounded. The voices were more muffled." 15.gif Needless to say, she has a smile on her face when she listens to her favorite music at louder than normal levels.

If I had to use one word to describe my new speakers...clarity. Clarity that brings recorded sound alive more than a person can realize. Sitting in the dark, eyes closed, hearing and feeling Joe Walsh's fingers slide on his guitar. Flinching at gunshots. How anybody would buy anything other than Klipsch after doing an A/B comparison is beyond me.

Thanks goes out to my best friend who started me out with his humble .5 bookshelf speakers mated to a KG SW passive bandpass subwoofer, and to another friend who invited me over to listen to his RF-7s!1.gif

----------------

On 7/5/2005 10:25:07 PM wuzzzer wrote:

I've had my RF-25s for almost two weeks now. I've gone through almost all of my 200+ CDs and listened to most of my favorite tracks from them. Watched several concert DVDs and a few DVD movies too.

One thing I noticed that if the recording is mediocre, it sounds really bad with the volume way up. I have a feeling that these speakers will have me searching for better quality recorded music in a hurry.

I've experimented a little with positioning and toeing-in of the speakers and think I've found the optimum for my listening room. If I really turn up the volume, I move my listening position back about 5 feet from where I normally sit. Helps to reduce the ringing ear effect.
1.gif

The only person beside me to hear the speakers is my wife. Her comment on them? "They sound too clear. I don't like them. I like how our old speakers sounded. The voices were more muffled."
15.gif
Needless to say, she has a smile on her face when she listens to her favorite music at louder than normal levels.

If I had to use one word to describe my new speakers...clarity. Clarity that brings recorded sound alive more than a person can realize. Sitting in the dark, eyes closed, hearing and
feeling
Joe Walsh's fingers slide on his guitar. Flinching at gunshots. How anybody would buy anything other than Klipsch after doing an A/B comparison is beyond me.

Thanks goes out to my best friend who started me out with his humble .5 bookshelf speakers mated to a KG SW passive bandpass subwoofer, and to another friend who invited me over to listen to his RF-7s!
1.gif

----------------

I hear what you are saying! I felt the same way when I bought my RB5's and RF3IIs! Great clarity with music and movies! They just simply blew my old Pioneers away!

I also hear you concerning the quality music aspect. I had my system cranked (which now has an RC-7) with my Denon 3802 and could barely hear a Bruce Springsteen song I had playing through my TIVO from an MP3 on my desktop computer. I thought an amp or something had blown in my receiver it was playing so softly and somewhat distorted. However, when I switched to regular CD and even to the tuner the crisp sound and volume had returned. It made me wonder if the digital music was encoded with low quality MP3...

Last year or so I went from Polk RT55i to Paradigm Studio 40's then RF7's.

The ability to hear the difference in recordings is pretty cool. Hope I enjoy these 7's as much as you like yours when I get a different preamp or amp in the future.