Finally all 7 speakers are Klipsch

Shade

Thanks to No Disc's heads up on the 2-channel forum, I scored another pair of RF-7s. Now I have RF-7 fronts, RC-7 center, RF-7 sides, & RF-5 rears in my 7.1 setup. The old rears were some DCM floorstanders I had around, and the RF-5s were on the sides.

What can I say. Surround effects are totally seamless now. I never really noticed how much the DCMs stood out until I replaced them. Threw on my favorite demo scene from Lord of the Rings, flight to the ford. The part where Frodo is being carried on horseback, chased by Nazgul to the river. Lots of surround activity. The surround effects don't sound like they're coming from the speakers, it's more like they're just there.

Anyway, I'm just really happy with the new addition to my system and wanted to share.

Sounds like an EXTREMELY nice set up Shade. 3.gif

I use RF-3's as side surrounds (along with RS-7's). I tried the RB-75's there but they didn't sound as good (They are now my rear speakers). I am a big fan of Towers (Klipsch) all of the way around for Home Theater. I have a small room so the RF-7's would be too big as side and rear speakers.

Way to set the standard for HT!10.gif

Shade, congrats! I have the EXACT same combination of speakers.

However, what you might want to try is to place your side-surrounds - which are RF7's - as your rear surrounds. Bring your RF5's as your sides. I tried both ways, and found the RF7's at the front and the utmost rear to be the ideal configuration. I'd recommend you try it out.

You guys with floorstanders all around...do you actually have them sitting on the floor around you? I've always been partial to having the surrounds up in the air so I'm curious as to where you guys are placing them and all that.

----------------

On 7/11/2005 10:02:01 PM DrWho wrote:

You guys with floorstanders all around...do you actually have them sitting on the floor around you? I've always been partial to having the surrounds up in the air so I'm curious as to where you guys are placing them and all that.

----------------

I have my front speakers raised 3" off the floor and my side surround RF-3's raised 12" so all of the tweeters are the same height and at ear level.

LS21.jpg

post-4218-13819267221736_thumb.jpg

Congrats on finally timbre-matching all around. I was a newcomer to this theory and was converted- and I'm glad I listened!

What kind of boxes are your RF's sitting on? If hollow, try filling with sand to transmit vibrations to floor. You may be missing out on a lot of bass.

Now we've got to get to work on that DVD 'library'!

Michael

----------------

On 7/12/2005 8:46:58 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

Congrats on finally timbre-matching all around. I was a newcomer to this theory and was converted- and I'm glad I listened!

What kind of boxes are your RF's sitting on? If hollow, try filling with sand to transmit vibrations to floor. You may be missing out on a lot of bass.

Now we've got to get to work on that DVD 'library'!

Michael

----------------

BTW I didn't start this thread.

If those questions were geared toward me (I have had this set up for 2 years)--My RF-3's are on stools with black granite floor tiles surrounding it to match my TV.

Insofar as lack of bass; I have an RSW 12 in front of me and a RSW 15 behind me. I have a small room with a high A frame ceiling in front. A smallish room with low ceiling behind--Seating position is basically between these rooms. Not alot of problem with lack of bass. 2.gif9.gif

I will continue working on my DVD library. I didn't realize that you could see half of it--

nicholtl : I originally considered the RF-7s as rears due to the extra depth, but they ended up fitting on the sides fine. I'll have to try that out. You're in an apartment too? Any neighbor problems?1.gif I'm hoping to get a house/townhouse place next year. Can't wait to have a place where I can open up the system.

DrWho : Just have them sitting on the floor. I like having everything at ear level.

I've been meaning to post some pictures up on the "lets see your HT" thread. Just need to clean up a bit first1.gif

Shade,

Yeah, I'm in an apartment. But I'm lucky because the apartment to my right is used as an employee storage facility, nobody lives below or above me, there's a deaf old fellow living to my left, and I made friends with the stoner college kids who live across from me, so it's all good.

Boy, I know how some of you feel about mismatched speakers. My first 7.1 system comprised of:

Klispch KG5.5 for the front L&R

Klipsch KV-2 for the center

pair of Yamaha bookshelfs (pretty big for bookshelfs...3-ways that had 12s in them) for the side surrounds

pair of Realistic speakers that were simliar to the Yammies.

Talk about a Heinz 57 assortment of speakers14.gif . I got tired of them after a few months and went back to 5.1.

Fast forward years later to the present and I too have an all Klipsch setup. KG5.5s for the front L&R and side surrounds. A KG4.5 "bookshelf" for the center and a pair of KG2.5 for the back surrounds.

A world of difference.10.gif

nicholtl : Sounds like you have it good with the neighbors, you're lucky. BTW, I saw you have a PB12/plus 2. How do you like it? I'll be sub shopping next year, and that was one I've been looking at.

I got around to posting some pics on the "lets see your HT" thread if anyone's interested.

Saw your pics, they look fantastic. I also see you have that new "floating" LCD I see advertised in all the audio publications. Good stuff!

Yeah, I do have it good with the neighbors. Being fellow 420ers themselves, they and I partake in medicating all the time.

Oh, and regarding the SVS PB2+, I LOVE it. I auditioned many-a-sub before pulling the trigger on it, and I think it performs better than subs 3 times it's price, which by the way, I was able to afford at the time. So that tells you something that I went with SVS.

In fact, one reason I tell people I don't always feel the earthquakes around here in LA is because earthquakes generally feel like the floor is jello, and that obviously is not a normal sensation for the average Joe or Jane. However, with an SVS sub, after the ridiculously low, sub-human, floor-shaking LFE effects you'll experience during action movies, you become so jaded to the floor becoming jello you'll start NOT noticing earthquakes, like me!!!

Thanks for the compliments. The TV's actually a DLP, but the pedestal does make it look pretty cool.

Sounds like I'll be be checking out that PB12+2 next year. Although that dual ultra is tempting.

Awe, Shade nice set up1.gif I played around with my speakers for a while (an understatement:-) and I would recommend raising your back speakers a few inches (and maybe even tilt them down slightly toward the listening position...If you don't like the sound put them back. I bet your side surround would be fine just like they are. VERY impressive! I have a futon in my HT and I like It alot better than my friends ultra-nice recliners in their theater. 1.gif