DVD, SACD players with quality sound other than Denon

Fast1

Hopefully someone is on to help. I guess everyones options are that the Denon 2900 and up are the best player for the money. I am looking to nab something today to hold me over for a year or so. Wondering on other brands that will have pleasing two channel sound as well as great surround formats. I only need 5.1 right now, but would like to have SACD if possible. I think the old Panasonic is killing the sound on my refernce 7 setup. Anxious to try a real player. Remember sound is key right now. I don't have much but a 27" flat right. I will buy the big guns in a year or so. Thanks and you guys are great help since most own Klipsh and know they can get bright and crappy if not fed properly.

Brandon

No Denon! What a drag. 11.gif

I also have a Mitsubishi Dvd 8050 that decodes DVD-A & SACD that I paid $180 for less than a year ago. I use it primarily for music and have had no problems with it.

I also saw that Bestbuy put on sale a sony 5 disk Sacd player (no DVD) for $99. The reason I know this is that I paid $150 for the same unit 32 days ago.8.gif

I bought it to use in a 2 channel set up, but haven't really played around with it enough to give a recommendation.

I'm with Bobby,the pioneer 45a can be had for around $200 used,does music pretty well too.It would be one of my few choices in that price range.

Well I am now considering the 45a because it has all the formats I want and sounds like a good cheap fix for now. My next question is am I really going to see an audible difference with CD playback from the old Panasonic cheapy? I have borrowed a Denon CD player, but found the sound no different IMO. I also used to experience hard to make out dialog with DVDs and then I would turn it up to hear better, then get blasted with an action scene that pins my ears back. I guess tired of adjusting that volume every few seconds. Granted I run the reference 7 stuff in a smaller room, I still would think I could find a happy listening point. Will the Pioneer fix this?

Can anyone else vouch for the sonics of the dv-45a? I am also considering some mods when I get one. I will need to research what all can be done with these to help the sound and picture. I heard from another that he could not hear any differnce between CD and SACD. He runs Martin Ls so I thought that was puzzling.

Brandon

Brandon,

There is a trick if you do not want to move the volume setting back and forth. Most processors/receivers have a dynamic range control setting. Turn dynamic range control on in your system menus, then engage "midnight" or a similar setting.

This works best on Dolby Digital encoding. Midnight is automatically turned off if THX post processing is engaged.

Bill

Is this actually normal to have to move the volumes all the time in a DVD? Wondering if these highly sensitive and large speakers are doing it or my system settings? Either way it is rather unenjoyable and I like it loud, but wow, DVDs like the ring are very hard to handle.

For many people used to compressed music recordings, listening to a dynamic sound track can take some adjusting to get used to. That said there should be no/low distortion at the peaks. With good equipment and a good appropriate mix, a whisper should sound like a whisper and an explosion should sound like an explosion. The sound should help you loose yourself in the movie, not be a distraction. Are living in an apartment where you need to be aware of neighbors? You can always listen to the sound through the TV to compress it.

No I have a home on 5 acres and noise is no issue. I am used to quality sound and my system is clear with enough headroom to shake the shingles loose, but the ultra dynamic range of the dvd gets rather dramatic. I guess I will try things with the new Elite model player in a few days and see if things sound different. I guess i may do some work with the center channel to better the vocals. If i just boost the volume of the center, then I get things out of balance. If I turn it up, I get my hair blown back. I am young and like it sometimes, but sometimes it is over the top.